“Good for an overnight, wouldn't want to stay any longer.”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Van Horn
Reviewed 8 March 2013

Let me first say that the curb appeal is fine and the rooms are clean and comfortable. Although this property is not A+ for fit and finish, it is a B and is more than acceptable for an overnight, when passing through. It is a decent day's drive from Phoenix and my wife and I will most likely stay here again when we travel East.

The down side is the people that run it. They are obviously from India and they have no idea what American Hospitality is all about. The ice machine is outside and the morning was cold the day we left so the machine was frozen and non-operational. When I asked if it could be made functional, the answer was simply 'No'. When I asked if there was some other way to get ice for our travel cups, the answer was simply 'No' and the man behind the counter then turned and walked away into the back room leaving me standing there.

There is a Truck Stop at the East end of town where you can gas up and they were gracious enough to let us get the ice and water we needed for the day's drive and would not hear of letting us pay them for it.

All in all, we will probably stay here again for an overnight because it is convenient. This time, however, we will know what to expect from the people that run it. I can only hope that someday they will realize that they are in business for their guests and without us they will soon be doing something else. They cannot deal with the people of the United States like they may have dealt with the people in the country they come from and expect to be a success, especially if it comes across as rude.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Mileaway_PHX

Reviewed 2 February 2013

I booked a room at this Econo Lodge with Choice Rewards points and was expecting a horrible bed - a la most Econo Lodges - marginal cleanliness and a poor night's sleep. I was surprised. The bed was very comfortable, the room was exceptionally clean and it was a pleasant stay. I do have two complaints:
1. The wifi did not work till morning.
2. The breakfast consisted of old looking cereal a few kind of scary looking hard boiled eggs.

There were myriad choices at similar looking motels in town, all advertising rooms for under $30...Had I paid for a room in Van Horn, I would have chosen another property. Still, a pretty decent choice.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Yakama
Reviewed 7 December 2012

The hotel was very clean. The staff was very helpful and considerate. Overall a pretty good place to stay for the money. If we are ever in Van Horn again will not hesitate to stay at this Econo Lodge again. The only think lacking was the coffee - plentiful, but not the greatest.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steve A
Reviewed 1 September 2012 via mobile

This is an older hotel with updates that have not been installed with care. The carpeting has rips. The bathroom flooring has grout smeared on the wall and large gap between flooring and tub. The TV remote works sometimes to turn on and increase volume but will not change channels. Room does have nice features which include fridge and microwave. Breakfast was plain and limited selection (2 cereals and 1 flavor of muffins). Location is average. Breakfast staff did not speak to us.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Gerald H
Reviewed 6 June 2012

Nice motel. I grew up in Van Horn, TX and my grandparents managed this motel after it was built in the '80s. The place has been well kept for over 20 years. The family that owns it are well versed in hotel management. Not a bad stay at all.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 23 December 2011

Choice Hotels USED to be our travel choice, but no longer. We stay in hotels 330+ days per year, as OSHA hearing techs. On this trip, we were heading home to Arizona and needed an overnight stay as we were too tired to drive all the way to Las Cruces from Tulsa, OK.

Arriving in town at 10pm and not knowing what the bad weather ahead held for us, we started checking CLC lodging. I had already checked TripAdvisor to see which brands would be acceptable. Super 8 met all our criteria, so we headed there first. Sold out. We prefer HIG brands so headed to Holiday Inn Express. Sold Out. I already knew what the review on the Days Inn was, so skipped that one.

We decided to give this Econo Lodge a shot, knowing pretty much what to expect. Desk clerk was not aware of TripAdvisor. I hope she takes time to check it now.

My review for THIS Econo Lodge location?

As reviewed by others, and as expected. CLEAN, older, NOT luxurious beds, home-made repairs, but CLEAN. OK for an overnight, no bed-bugs (and yes, I used scotch tape in the mattress seams to verify!)

Would we stay again on our way thru Van Horn? Only if the Super 8 has no vacancies and we have a very limited budget (CLC). HIX would still be our first preference. Why? HIX is a new brand and their properties consistently meet our criteria.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Candace R
Reviewed 11 October 2011

Nestled between I 10 and the railroad tracks, the Econolodge was quieter than expected. We used our rewards points for the two night stay and from past experience have not always had the best rooms. This one was clean, although the bathroom could have used an update. Breakfast was frozen waffles or blue berry muffins. Actually OK but not great. The front desk staff were fine. Van Horn has a couple restaurants -- a steak house and Chuy's Mexican and about 10 other 70's motels. The Econolodge needs work on the outside but as mentioned the rooms were clean. Not wonderful but a good nights sleep.

Room Tip: There is a howard johnson and marriott that may serve those looking for a more upper end stay for th...