“Good location and clean...but pricey.”

Super 8 Victoria/North/Mall Area
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Victoria
Granite City, Illinois
“Good location and clean...but pricey.”
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Having had a horrible stay in another Super 8 previously, I vowed to never again stay in one. However, I was sold on this hotel SOLELY for the reason that they had a "heated, indoor pool." HEATED, INDOOR pool is listed all over their website and seems to be a big selling point. My family was heading out to visit over Thanksgiving to visit and even though the location is in southern Texas, the forecasted highs were in the 50's. I have a 10-year old son who lives for swimming at the various hotels we stay at, so I selected this Super 8 SPECIFICALLY for the heated pool. Guess what wasn't working when we got there...the HEATED pool. Yeah. Oh, and it sure would have been nice to relax in the advertised hot tub after a 16-hour drive...but that wasn't working either. The kid swam in the cold pool anyway, but I sure as hell didn't get in it. What a drag. You give these places your web addresses and phone numbers when you reserve the room...it would be nice if they would give you the courtesy of a call or email letting you know these services wouldn't have been available.

Also, it should be noted that the walls in this hotel are PAPER THIN. We could hear every conversation our neighbors were having without even trying. An alarm clock in the adjacent room went off for over an hour our first morning. Nothing like being awakened at 7am when you've planned on sleeping until at least 10. And, I'm still not sure if it just automatically went off after buzzing for an hour, or if the overanxious cleaning staff turned it off. Didn't matter...started my first day in a bad mood. The next morning....it went off again, however, this time we went to the front desk and asked them to please turn it off.

As for the free breakfast...you can make your own waffles (they're even in the shape of Texas!) This is a good idea, unless you happen to hit them on the day they've substituted the regular waffle mixture with "blueberry/strawberry" mixture. The day we checked out, I went to make my son one last waffle, and couldn't because the mixture wasn't thick enough to turn into a normal waffle. And don't expect the front desk person to come over and help you while you're struggling to clean out burnt waffle mix from the iron...she's more concerned with making sure the lobby stays clean. The rest of the breakfast was, uhm...ok. A few mini-muffins, some "Activia" (gross), and weird orange juice that was barely even orange. Also some cold cereals, but no individual milks. Maybe I'm a little spoiled, but I'm not willing to drink milk from a shared carafe.

They also have two computers up front you can use. However, don't walk away from it to run back to your room for 3 seconds, or again, the overanxious staff will rush over to log you out and clean everything up. The hotel must be bucking for some kind of cleaning award or something.

In summary: comfort ok, cleanliness very good, customer service...meh. I wouldn't stay here again especially since there are SEVERAL other hotels in the area. But, if you want to save $10 or so, go ahead.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Pete P, General Manager at Super 8 Victoria/North/Mall Area, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Thank you for staying with us. We're glad we were able to provide you a clean and comfortable stay. We apologize for the indoor pool not being heated during your stay, as well as the noise you encountered. In terms of the breakfast offering, we are always evaluating our offering looking for ways to improve on it. Again, thanks for staying with us - we look forward to your next stay with us upon your next visit to the Victoria area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Saint Jo, Texas
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Not children friendly. harassed me the whole time and kept saying my children where making too much noise. when she came to door to complain they where in front of TV watching Disney. Breakfast was lame and it was so hot in there you could not breath and they had leaking AC with bucket under it and fan to blow on you while you eat. They also kept my CC for 24 hours before they gave it back and when I ask why they stated " I left it on copier" So copier had not been used for 24 hours. Well with only 5 cars in parking lot both nights, this tells me I am not the only one with a issue. I will spread THE NEWS on FB and hope the place goes under. Bathroom door would not shut so you had to push it hard to lose it and commode stopped up but heaven forbid I complain

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank stacy g
Pete P, General Manager at Super 8 Victoria/North/Mall Area, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
I'm sorry for your experience at our hotel. In discussing your stay experience with our guest services attendant (GSA), we were notified by surrounding guests that your children were overly loud not only in your room, but in the lobby area. The GSA also mentioned your credit card was left at the front desk. In terms of your room, we ask guests to notify us immediately when there is an issue so that we can resolve such issue in a prompt and satisfactory manner. Again, we apologize for the experience you had at our hotel. We hope you will give us another opportunity on your next stay to the Victoria area.
Three Rivers
Reviewed 5 November 2013

We were very pleased with our stay, quiet location and comfortable bed. We just felt kind of hurried, when the cleaning staff came by right before 11 am to see if we were checking out. We thought check out time was 12, but other than that, all went well. But will probably stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Pete P, General Manager at Super 8 Victoria/North/Mall Area, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Thank you very much for your comments. We're glad you enjoyed your stay. Sorry about the minor inconvenience with the cleaning staff - we will certainly address the matter. Again, thanks for staying with us. We look forward to your next stay with us in the future.
Pipe Creek
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Room was excellent. Quiet and very comfortable. Breakfast variety was very nice. If there is only one thing negative about the room it would be the bathroom light is also an exhaust fan. This exhaust fan is really loud in the middle of the night and wakes other people in the room.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Pete P, General Manager at Super 8 Victoria/North/Mall Area, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Thank you for your gracious comments. We're glad your room was clean and comfortable, and you enjoyed the breakfast. Thanks for letting us know on the bathroom fan - we will certainly rectify that. Again, thanks for staying with us - we look forward to your next stay with.
Victoria, Texas
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Mrs. Christy, Ms. Amy and other staff are very professional. The rooms are very comfortable and clean. The beds and bathrooms were always kept clean. I would definitely recommend this Hotel to anybody that would ask me about a place to stay in the Victoria Area.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Pete P, General Manager at Super 8 Victoria/North/Mall Area, responded to this review, 13 October 2013
Thank you very much for your warm comments. We pride ourselves on quality guest service, as well as ensuring our product is clean and comfortable. Again, thanks for the feedback, and we look forward to your next stay with us.
Reviewed 3 October 2013 via mobile

I just recently stayed there and enjoyed my stay. my bed was comfortable and room was very clean ,the staff was extremely helpful and I enjoyed the free water at check-in. However breakfast was a bit uncomfortable it was extremely hot and the fans the staff had blowing were only circulating the hot air ...including the washer/ vending machine area ..which was also very humid this is an issue that needs to be resolved I've stayed before and never has it been so hot in those areas of the hotel. Average rating due to the humidity in lobby area

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Pete P, General Manager at Super 8 Victoria/North/Mall Area, responded to this review, 5 October 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback. We're glad you enjoyed your stay. Unfortunately, our 2 lobby air conditioning units were down during your stay with us - the 2 units have since been fixed, and the breakfast and lobby area is now cool and comfortable. Thanks for being a repeat guest, and we look forward to your next stay with us upon your next visit to the Victoria area. Again, we apologize for the inconvenience.