“Beyond our Expectations, True Southern Hospitality”
other travellers have booked this property
The Great Room:  fireplace, leather couch and chairs, oriental rugs Gourmet Kitchen: gas range, microwave, copper cookware, nonstick cookware, full range of appliances
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
The Great Room:  fireplace, leather couch and chairs, oriental rugs
Dinning Area and Kitchen:
table seats 6; counter seats 2
Great Room: TV & stereo cabinet; wine cabinet; entrance to Bedroom
Bedroom: queen size bed faces TV and book shelves
Bedroom: writing desk and chair; french doors open out to patio
Bedroom: ceiling fan; TV and books
1st floor Bath: vanity; 2 person shower; window seat
Great Room:
stairway to Loft
View from Loft: Dinning Area; Kitchen; Great Room
Loft: 3 twin beds; 2 ceiling fans
2nd floor Bath: vanity and claw foot tub
Roof Porch: think morning coffee; evening wine
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Excellent - based on 79 reviews

Reviews from our community

Any
tina c
“Beyond our Expectations, True Southern Hospitality”
Reviewed 15 July 2016 for a stay in July 2016

Mark and Mary have created a quiet, beautiful, and restful B&B for one or five. This was our first time staying at a B&B and we were very impressed. After a long day of travel from Ky, we appreciated not having to make a grocery run. The kitchen and fridge was stocked with goodies. Our boys ages 17 and 22 traveled with us and enjoyed the Direct TV and large selection of movies on DVD. But what really won their heart was waffles and bacon. They also accommodated my husbands diabetic diet. The house went above and beyond our expectations. They spared no expense in the furnishings. The yard and trees remind you of a park setting. Short 15 minute drive to Magnolia but easy to find a GPS. True Southern Hospitality.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: outside of town, quiet, peaceful
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Your age range 35-49
Friends getaway Older travelers
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
16 Jul 2016
Tina,
You and your family were the real blessing: Salt-of-the-earth people from an "old Kentucky home." Honestly, Mary and I never cease to be surprised by the true wealth of our guests. You and Ben left a sweet trace on our lives. From your stories of 4th generation farming to tobacco harvesting to turtle fishing to pictures of magnificent white tail bucks, to family cemeteries to your wedding barn - the list goes on and on. We were the one's blessed. Perhaps now you can understand how it is that this place is named Tell Story Walk. Thank you for being an unforgettable part of this continuously unfolding story. All our best, Mark and Mary
LisaPhx
Phoenix, Arizona
“Top Notch B&B”
Reviewed 2 July 2016 for a stay in June 2016

I can only echo what other guests have already said. This little gem just outside of Waco was amazing and Mark and Mary were a big reason for that. Let's be clear, this is not a vacation rental. This is a full service B&B with fabulous breakfast, welcome drinks and treats and a stocked fridge! You are truly transported as soon as you pull into the driveway with a beautiful park like oasis surrounding the gorgeous quaint cottage. We traveled with my parents and only stayed 2 nights in Waco (a part of our 3 week road trip) but it was definitely the most memorable. I appreciate the fact that he returned a mug we purchased and accidentally left behind without charging us. Like I said a full service B&B! Thanks Mark and Mary, hopefully our travels will bring us your way again. Lisa

How easy was it to book the property? Overall condition of the property
Liked best: Everything!
Liked least: Internet service but he's working on it
Travelling group: Extended Family
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
3 Jul 2016
Lisa,
There are two "highs" to this business. The first, and always the best, is greeting our guests and for a brief space of time, getting to know them. The second "high" is hearing about their experience when they choose to share it. In some ways, it goes beyond remembrances. It's more like reliving our time with them. Either way you slice it, your reflections are appreciated and treasured. Thank you for taking the time to have told the world about our little place. Now, come back, buy another mug, and see some more of Texas. And don't forget to leave the mug behind. We love what you said about that one. All our best, Mark and Mary
BJKoliba
Allen, Texas, USA
“Lovely, relaxing and comfortable, what more could you want?”
Reviewed 11 June 2016 for a stay in May 2016

My girlfriends and I went down for a quick weekend trip to Waco. Mark and Mary were waiting as we arrived, smiling faces and chilled wine. The cottage is lovingly equipped, such a pleasant and relaxing experience. Breakfast was provided and it was delicious. We will definitely come back. Their recommendation of the Homestead Heritage was spot on, we loved it! Thanks for the hospitality, it was fabulous!

Friends getaway
12 Jun 2016
Bonnie,
Thank you for your thoughtful note. We're particularly pleased that you took in Homestead Heritage. Magnolia is our nationwide "mast head," but for a full range of crafts and historical setting, Homestead is utterly unique.
We're also thrilled to see that you enjoyed a fire on the patio. We just added that feature and we're nicely surprised that it got christened so soon, especially in the warm weather. We'll have more wood handy for you next time. Until then, we look forward to hosting you again.
Mark and Mary
misspigge...
Richland, Washington
“The best accomodations and hospitality we have ever had!”
Reviewed 5 June 2016 for a stay in May 2016

My husband and I traveled from WA state to meet our son and give him a much needed break from ASAF Tech School. The minute we drove up to the cottage and saw Mark's smiling face waiting to greet us, it was obvious we had found the right place to stay. Within moments, Mary was there to graciously welcome us.They were both so welcoming to each of us, but in particular to our Airman. They had even thought to fly the United States Air Force flag, along with the American flag, in his honor!

The minute we walked through the front door, we were met with the gorgeous, artistic beauty of the cottage. Everywhere you look, this home is filled with old meets new, magnificent construction, and interesting treasures,. We spent three days exploring every nook and cranny, and delighted in the incredibly well thought out construction and decor everywhere we looked. We only lacked in getting to hear the stories behind some of unique and interesting objects and furniture.

Mark and Mary could not have been more gracious. From the chilled wine and cider waiting for us when we arrived, to the ample supply of delicious breakfast items each day. We had our fill of yogurt, fresh berries, granola, quiche, a fruit bowl, and homemade sweet bread. I can't even describe how touched I was to learn Mary had gone out of her way to attempt to accommodate my wheat intolerance, and baked me gluten free scones! Let me tell you, her attempt was a great success. They were delicious!!!

The outdoor sitting areas are beautiful. It was so relaxing, and we were able to see red cardinals, road runners, and fireflies, pretty unique for people from the Pacific Northwest! The entire grounds are beautiful and peaceful.

Given the opportunity, we would definitely visit again. We left feeling like Mark and Mary were old friends that we look forward to seeing again someday. Our 20 year old son was well rested, and felt such gratitude for their special hospitality.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The hospitality!
Liked least: There honestly was nothing we did not like.
Travelling group: Other
Older travelers
6 Jun 2016
Lecreta,
What a beautiful and timely reflection. Only yesterday Mary and I were talking of your Airman, Samuel, to the family. What a privilege it was to be able to host the three of you at this important family time. I'm sure there are many parents who share the pride you and Chris have for your Armed Forces family member. Yet, to come from the far corner of the country to support him as you did is not only touching, it's inspiring. After conversing with him for a few minutes, it was no surprise to us that he is being trained for such a demanding, "high bar" assignment. I think the most appropriate comment I could make is that were all our citizens to know the caliber of person that stands guard over our country, they would sleep better at night.
As to your review, what can we say? You have put into written words the very best of our hopes and prayers. Mary and I have lived a privileged life. What richer finish than to live out the rest of our years in this God given place serving folks such as you.
Liz P
Dallas, Texas
“renewing and inspiring weekend”
Reviewed 27 May 2016 for a stay in May 2016

First let me say this is my first review of anything. Ever. However, the experience was so remarkable, I cannot NOT post a review. The bed and breakfast cottage is absolutely charming with so much attention to detail, I had to take pictures of it. Everything is in such flawless condition (kitchen utensils, linens, etc), it all seems brand new. In fact, we stayed up trying to determine where they purchased these perfect pillows. However, all of these "new" amenities are amidst charming carefully designed decor that is homey and comfortable. It truly felt like a home. The homemade breakfast items were absolutely delicious, and plentiful. But not only this, but the kitchen was stocked with fruit, juices, cereal, yogurt, etc.

All of these things are great, but I am actually writing the review because of the consideration and heart of the owners, Mark and Mary Dawson. They are kind and thorough as they meet you and get you set up for your stay. Then as Mark puts it, "we value your privacy and your time away," so they slip away and allow their guests to determine any further interaction, though they are always immediately available. My friends and I had so enjoyed our first encounter with them, we invited them down for a short visit to say thank you on our last evening. I learned of their desire to serve and play a part in the journey of others through this property. I was deeply inspired by their story, their vitality, and their sincerity. I believe each one of us left there having enjoyed our time together and having felt very well-cared for by this truly special couple. I will definitely be returning!

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: the fireplace and the upstairs patio
Liked least: spotty internet access - but it is being addressed
28 May 2016
"Wow!" Mary's response, ver batum. And as for me, I can't think of a word that better expresses my thoughts. We read your review and laughed with delight at every line. What a personal and deeply touching message. You and your friends are the "proof of the pudding" that one of the sweetest joys of life is serving others. It's times like this when I would for a better word than "Thank you." But at the end of the day, that's all I've got. So, thank you, Liz. Thank you for choosing our B & B to spend your treasured time with your friends. Thank you for taking the time to write this review. And thank you for inviting Mary and me into your life for one brief and honest hour as we shared the fellowship of the Lord.
Kelly N
“The Hidden Gem of Waco, TX”
Reviewed 26 May 2016 for a stay in May 2016
person found this review helpful

I stayed in this Cottage with 3 other women to celebrate a birthday and visit Magnolia Market. We stayed for 2 nights in this beautiful little home and from the moment we drove onto the property were blown away.

The cottage itself looks terrific from the outside with great lighting, a cute porch, several places to sit outside in rockers by a small fountain or on the balcony. But what was apparent from the first few moments of our arrival was how much attention to detail Mark and Mary had put into this property. Citronella candles on the balcony, bath salts by the bathtub, spare toiletries in the bathroom, beautifully set out breakfasts with plenty of considerate options to name a few. Mark and Mary have really considered and thought of everything.

The house is a new structure but has the quaint and worn-in feel of an old home. It was immaculate, not a speck of dust anywhere. All the beds and bedding was incredibly comfortable as well. I couldn't think of one negative thing to say about the experience if I tried.

The property is beautiful as well. We took some time to walk around through their well cared for lawn by their gazebo. The home on the property that they are working on is going to be amazing when it's finished!

The street was quiet and we took some time to walk down the road as well. But we went into down town Waco every day it only took 20 minutes. The Heritage Cafe and Shops are incredibly close as well.

Mark and Mary were available for us and are some of the kindest people you'll ever meet. They genuinely enjoy hospitality and were excited to host us. The only possible down side is that the phone service is not great and there isn't internet access. But they told us they are working to remedy this. But when you are trying to relax and get away, it's kind of nice not to be "plugged in" all the time.

Overall, the experience was one of the best I have had and my husband and I are already planning a trip to Waco just to stay here and have some time of rest and refreshment. Honestly, I'm bummed that it was such a fabulous experience because once people find out about this place it's going to get booked up!! Definitely the best little bed and breakfast experience in Waco. You won't regret a weekend here.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The house itself is cute and comfortable!
Liked least: Would love to have internet access.
Older travelers
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
27 May 2016
Kelly,
You do us proud. As you know, everything you've so beautifully described is what Mary and I want this place to be about. But more than a place, we want it to be about relationships. Your plans to return here with your husband are one of the nicest things you could say. Thank you, for taking the time and heart to write about Tell Story Walk. We will always be about people such as you.
Linda N
Brenham, Texas
“A sparkling new cottage with antique charm, the Cottage at Tell Story Walk is a home away from home.”
Reviewed 25 April 2016 for a stay in April 2016
person found this review helpful

My sister, our childhood friend, and I drove from various parts of Texas to share memories and catch up on events in our lives. We were greeted by the hosts, Mark and Mary, who did everything possible to make up feel welcome, from the chilled bottle of wine to a refrigerator well-stocked with delicious breakfast items. My sister Kathy, my friend Linda, and I sipped wine on the upstairs porch in the afternoon under the arching branches of huge trees and watched the cardinals flit in and out of the trees as the mockingbirds scolded. While the downstairs bedroom had a television as did the living room, we were too busy chatting to turn either one on.

That night we slept in a beautiful loft. This cozy cottage offered the ideal room arrangement for us, three twin beds in a loft with an adjoining bathroom, where we relived our girlhood sleepovers. In the morning we sipped coffee on the downstairs patio and enjoyed the peace and beauty of nature. This enchanting cottage and the hosts exceeded our expectations, and we have decided that we would like to meet again next year at the Cottage at Tell Story Walk.

The only negative comment I have is that I wish there had been a guest book for us to tell our hosts directly about how much we enjoyed our stay.

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: We liked the hosts and the beauty of the cottage and its surroundings.
Liked least: I can't think of anything.
Your age range 65+
Friends getaway Older travelers
26 Apr 2016
Linda,
What a thoughtful reflection! You, (all our guests for that matter) have no idea how gratifying it is to be able to provide a "home away from home" sanctuary to family and friends. Such times of togetherness can never be replaced.
Thank you for choosing us for such a special occasion.
Mark Dawson
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing