“Inexpensive, but old and tired hotel with terrible breakfast offering”

Super 8 Waco University Area
Ranked #17 of 30 Hotels in Waco
Reviewed 1 August 2011

I spent 2 nights here in mid July 2011. The location was good, but the hotel is old, a bit dirty and in desperate need of updating. The WiFi did not work most of the time with it ranging between 0 and 1 bars of strength in my room, which was toward the end of one hallway. The breakfast was bad, even compared to offerings at this price level. The first morning, most of the items on the breakfast bar had run out and were not replaced, so I was left with luke warm water to make oatmeal and 1 measly mini donut to eat. You can purchase cold sodas in the breakfast area, but the small fridge that they are in doesn't even begin to chill them.

On a positive note, the staff was very friendly and personable and the hotle location is not far outside of Waco. It is close to Baylor U., the Little League playoff fields and the Texas Sports Hall of Fame, which is worth visiting while there.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
super8waco1, Manager at Super 8 Waco University Area, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2011

Hello regina89!

We thank you for your recent stay and appreciate your comments regarding our location and our friendly and knowledgeable staff. Please know that we value your insight and are doing everything possible to upgrade our hotel. Apologies are in order for any inconveniences you may have experienced during your stay. We have addressed the WiFi issue and have just recently installed brand new corridor carpeting! Additionally, we have upgraded our breakfast offering with yogurt, hot waffles and more. We look forward to the opportunity of serving your hotel needs again in the future. Call us!

Staff & Management
Super 8 Waco University Area

Reviewed 23 June 2011

We were new to the area from Boston and were so comfortable when greeted by the woman at the front desk to make a reservation. After checking out at least 10 hotels, we were most impressed with this one. The price is great and even better if you get the extended stay rates. The customer service is fabulous at this hotel. The front desk, the cleaning staff, the maintenance men...everyone is SUPER friendly and warm. You feel more like friends with them, rather than just a guest at the hotel. Even the owner of the hotel was on site a lot and interacted with all of the guests. The rooms are clean and the location is great. The whole experience was positive, but the women at the front desk are truly what make you want to keep staying longer. I highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Extended stay rates are the way to go!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Darlene31
Reviewed 31 March 2011

I stayed here for four nights this past week, and I don't think I could have asked for any better service. Housekeeping was very fast and I always came back to a clean room (even if I came back within an hour). Hotel is extremely clean, not a single complaint there. Breakfast was better than expected, with some good hot biscuits and gravy every morning. Management was extremely helpful and friendly, went out of their way to make sure my stay was very pleasant. Overall, the best value in Waco.

I usually have a hard time sleeping at cheaper hotels because I suffer from lower back problems. However, this is my second time staying at Super 8 Waco and I've had zero issues with their beds, slept perfectly. This was probably the most surprising aspect of my visit.

Large parking lot as well, nothing to worry about there. They do offer truck parking too.

Internet was very fast and easy to get onto.

Also, it's only a few minutes drive from Baylor campus (only the La Quinta is closer, but they charge a lot more than Super 8). Also, their weekly rates are very good, I couldn't find any other clean hotel to even come close to matching their price. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ChicagoTraveler022
Reviewed 28 March 2011

We chose this motel for our employees every week because the staff is very friendly and helpful and the rooms are always clean and ready to go. Would recommend this motel for any occasion.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank BMalik
super8waco, Manager at Super 8 Waco University Area, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2011

We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay so much. I have shared your comments with the rest of my staff. We here at Super 8 Waco University Area realize that you have a choice when it comes to choosing your hotel, We would like to take a minute to thank you for choosing us and for being our valued guest.

Thanya

Reviewed 27 March 2011

Great everything! Very nice hotel. Clean, confortable spacious rooms. Good breakfast. Friendly staff.
The staff and accomodations at this hotel are excellent. It is conveniently located off of IH 35 in Waco, Texas. The rooms are especially clean and comfortable and the staff bends over backwards to make sure I was completely satisfied. I give the place a "10" for excellent!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank zetroxero
super8waco, Manager at Super 8 Waco University Area, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2011

Thank you so much for taking the time out to write about your experience at our hotel.At SUPER 8 WACO UNIVERSITY AREA we are committed, as a team, to providing excellent accomodations and outstanding service to our guests.We hope to see you again the next time you in Waco,Texas.

Thanya

Reviewed 25 March 2011

never had a problem,excellent customer service (Tania) and her staff will help on all your needs.
It is highly recomend it.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank rogermtz67
Reviewed 15 November 2010

First impression was the hotel looks like new from the outside but the interior, while not bad per se, could use some renovation. The room looked clean but smelled of odor hiding chemicals and the carpet looked pretty worn. Apparently this is one of the only hotels in Waco to allow pets, so that is understandable. As a bit of perspective, generally speaking my philosophy is that so long as a place is clean, I'm just looking for a place to get some sleep. Overall, the Super 8 looked like what I would expect from a motel at this price point.
After the game/dinner we got back to the hotel at about midnight, and that is when the nightmare began. First thing I notice upon entering the lobby is four women who looked like prostitutes lounging in the lobby with a male who looked like he was their boss. I figure no big deal, just keep walking, just here to sleep. My wife and I walk up the stairs to the second floor and the first thing we see is a guy walking out of a room zipping his fly as he walked down the hall. All he had on was shorts. Three more women who looked like prostitutes were congregated outside our room.
I made the first call to the front desk at 2:00am. The room across the hall from us had been a revolving door about every 10 to 15 minutes. The deadbolt was thrown (to keep the door from locking when it shut) and I was able hear EVERYONE who came and went. The front desk's response was that they would send up the security guard, call Waco Police, and evict if necessary.
I made the second call to the front desk at 4:00am. This time following countless visitors, who had come and gone, a fight had broken out in the room across the hall. It sounded like the walls were coming down. This time the frond desk said there was nothing they could do, that Waco PD was not responding to their calls, and that I could thank Baylor University for the whole mess because it was Baylor Universities' fault that this was happening. I said "excuse me?" "How is that again?" To which the front desk responded "Apparently this is happening all over town tonight and all these people are here because of Baylor University." It was apparent that the Super 8 was either in concert with the activity taking place, or unwilling to do anything about it! Had it not been for the fact that we were traveling with another couple who was staying somewhere on the third floor, my wife and I would have packed up and driven back to Houston immediately.
I have never written a negative review of a hotel in my life but thought that this one warranted a write up. I don't want to see anyone else experience what I would describe as an unsafe and unsettling hotel stay. Consider yourself put on notice of how awful this place is and I highly recommend that you seek accommodations elsewhere. Trust me; I would happily have paid twice the $70 to not have put my wife and myself into that situation. From now on, I will bite the bullet, shell out the extra money, and just stay at the Hilton.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple