“HOT”

Super 8 Waco University Area
Ranked #17 of 30 Hotels in Waco

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Addison, Texas
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I can't even believe how wonderful the customer service was that I received from the manager at this location, Dianna. She handled my issue with class and with a sense of urgency which was very important to me. She made me feel like she cared about me as a friend, and not just another customer. Thank you Dianna! You're great!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
super8waco1, Manager at Super 8 Waco University Area, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Thank you for posting your approval regarding your recent stay in Waco. Hope to see you again in the near future. Sincere Regards
Waco, Texas
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I was way too generous in some previous reviews of hotels in Waco, and gave 3 stars to things that clearly weren't as good as this one. So I need to balance the scorecard a bit, and since I cant go back and take stars off those, I will upgrade this one.

This hotel is a little worn, but still very serviceable. Squeaky clean and all the expected stuff-microwave, refrigerator, TV, coffee maker, hair dryer, soap and shampoo. Rooms are a bit smaller than average. Old school "oak look" press-board furniture. B a good set for an 80's movie.

Breakfast includes a waffle-maker, cereal, toast, donuts, canned fruit cocktail, juices, coffee, milk. All carbs, and plenty of it.

Clearly this is a mid-tier hotel; I vastly prefer any of the Hilton properties in town, but they cost twice as much. On the other hand I would vastly recommend this property over the motel 6, either of the extended stay hotels, or the ghastly "Budget motel" nearby. This one is a clean safe place to spend the night, has some good TV channels with "Starz", fast internet, and there is food in the morning.

Cons: They are advertising low rates on the outside sign: $49 a night, $279 a week -- but you are unlikely to get that rate if you walk up to the counter. I tried and they said "we are all sold out of those rooms" and tried to up-sell me to rack rate about $10 a night higher. That is pretty typical, sadly and it is the one thing that drives me back to a Motel 6 sometimes; their pricing is straightforward and honest and every room in the house goes for the clearly posted rate. But if you go there you will pay extra for internet and there will be no food at all -- at least here you have a breakfast.

You have to use the internet. I not only got that $49 price, I beat it easily as one of those pre-negotiates specials on price-line. Good hotel for a good price, and you can get it for 45 or so if you look around.

Room Tip: Make your reservations in advance on the internet, they will try to upsell you if you just walk up t...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank neuroshrink
Thank you for choosing Super 8 for your recent trip to Waco. We strive to provide a clean & comfortable rooms with affordable rates.
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We stayed at this Super 8 on our way to Fredericksburg for one night. I guess I can't complain too much about the hotel itself, because it was super cheap - so basically you get what you pay for. Nothing terribly fancy, but not filthy either. The hotel itself looked like it hadn't changed since it first opened its doors, so don't expect anything modern or updated.

Noise is a factor if you are a light sleeper, as this hotel is literally right on I-35. You will hear large trucks and cars passing at all hours of the night. The only saving grace is that the air conditioner seemed to drown out some of that noise, but still, it's not a peaceful location. It also doesn't seem like an overly nice area to be wandering around in at night.

The girl at the front desk who checked us in seemed less than thrilled to be at work and was super annoyed that we and the customer behind us, interrupted her personal phone call. After she began to help us, another man walked in so she picked the phone back up and said in a hushed, annoyed voice, "I'll have to call you back." Sorry for the inconvenience? Anyway, I don't recall her name but I'm pretty sure she had red hair.

Breakfast was standard fair for a hotel this size - waffle maker, ceral, packaged pastries, yogurt, brown bananas. Pretty typical.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
super8waco1, Front Office Manager at Super 8 Waco University Area, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
We are pleased that you stopped at Super 8. I will have a talk with who was working that is not the treatment we like to give our quests.
Thank you again for staying with us.