“Birthday Bliss”
Review of The Cotton Palace

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Waco
The Cotton Palace
Ranked #1 of 11 Waco B&B and Inns
Sonora, Texas
“Birthday Bliss”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I had to be in Waco for a friend's wedding on my birthday weekend, so I decided to make a mini-vacation out of it, and stayed in this wonderful B&B. The service was always fun, welcoming, and caring, and the other guests were also friendly! The breakfast was delicious, and the waiter, Dutch, was terrific. I had such a great time, and I would recommend it to anyone. :)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Elena N

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Round Rock, Texas, United States
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We spent our 6th Anniversary here. It was our destination, we were not passing through on our way to somewhere else. The house was elegant and you could tell that so much thought went into the decor of each room. Thank you Becky and Matt for your hospitality and Dutch for the great stories and good laughs. It was truely a blessing and we enjoyed walking around Waco. We went to the Dr.Pepper museum and the Texas Rangers Museum. My husband and I have spent a lot of money on fancy hotels, but your B&B surpasses them all and was the best place we have ever stayed by far. In my opinion your room rates are to low for the quality of service and attention to detail that are convayed in a single night. Would return all the time. Thank you for a memorable weekend.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
TheCottonPalace, Owner at The Cotton Palace, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
So glad you enjoyed your anniversary stay in Waco at The Cotton Palace B & B. And thrilled you loved our great town and all the activities we have for tourists in Waco. Congratulations on your anniversary and we'd love to have you come back - maybe next anniversary??? Lots happening in our great city!
Hewitt, Texas
Reviewed 27 October 2013

My wife and I enjoy getting away for our anniversary and staying at a place where we can hit the pause button on kids, work and life. This quest normally takes us several hours from home to the familiar Texas B&B locations. We decided to try Cotton Palace, only about 20 minutes from our home, based on some local feedback and their stellar Trip Advisor rating. This is a place that lives up to, and exceeds, its reputation. Becky and Matt greeted us and made us feel like family. Dutch is one of a kind. Breakfast is prepared and served not packaged for you to warm up. In a word, delicious. I'm more focused on rooms and price and let my wife handle the decor feedback. Lots of "oohs and aahs." The roses I ordered at online checkout were very good quality and placed perfectly in the room. We were the first guests to arrive that day so we peeked in all but one of the rooms and were pleased we chose Eren's suite. Enjoyed the extra sitting area between bedroom and bath. The rooms are comfortable, clean and nicely furnished. They keep the traditional feel of a home built in the 1900's but it does not feel old and/or worn out. The wifi was spotty but that was a good reminder to stay off the computer. The high quality linens and robes are a definite plus. The managers have thought of many details such as cookies, bottled water and coffee that are available throughout your stay, but are close by just in case you need something. Cotton Palace is only minutes by car from a continually improving downtown Waco. We had a nice meal and identified frozen yogurt and coffee bar all in walking distance of where we ate dinner. The neighborhood around the property is an older one with some beautiful homes that have been reclaimed and upgraded. We felt safe and pampered throughout our stay. We wish it was more than one night and will definitely be back. Rarely does this happen but my wife and I completely agreed - we found our favorite bed and breakfast.

Room Tip: If you are interested in a bit more privacy the. Eren's suite is the choice.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Call it "The Best Bread and Breakfast in America" -- and we've seen many! If I could live at The Cotton Palace, I'd move back to Waco. And I've lived in Southern California for 35 years. But we recently had an incredible four day stay at The Cotton Palace while on a book tour of my new book, and it had to be the most wonderful travel stay of our lives with the possible exception of our honeymoon in Maui. We stayed in Eren's Suite, the largest of the rooms with a lovely sitting room -- and it rained a couple of nights, giving a unique charm that made you want to take an umbrella out and walk around, which we did. The breakfasts -- among them bananas foster French toast and some secret-ingredient scramble eggs -- were were like something from a Parisian restaurant. Owner Becky Schroeder Hodges is a wonderful host, and her son Matt is... well, just call Matt The Prince of The Cotton Palace. And then there was the great surprise of having breakfast served by Hodges' dad, Dutch Schroeder, the legendary baseball coach at Baylor, and the splendid conversation of his lovely wife Betty. The Cotton Palace and the family are the best ambassadors reviving Waco has going for it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
TheCottonPalace, Owner at The Cotton Palace, responded to this review, 5 October 2013
Thank you for your kind words! It was truly a pleasure for all of us to get to know you and Renee and get to share in your homecoming and literary success. Can't wait for your return visit. We would love to get you back to Waco - permanently! So glad you enjoyed the house and your breakfast every morning. You made breakfast such a special time for us and the other guests with the stories of your literary career.
Florida
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I was in Waco for my 45th class reunion. I knew Becky and her sister Emily at Waco High School and Dutch was one of my instructors at Baylor University. But we had never been in contact since we left high school. Upon arrival, it was like we were still back in high school, which was nice. BUT, what she offers at her B and B is far above any place that my wife and I have ever stayed. We have stayed in numerous places throughout the world and the Cotton Palace is by far a cut above ANY of the others. The decor is superb, the breakfast is so good and excellently presented and the waiter in training , well let me say was a delight. I was born and raised in Waco and I can say that there is no better place to stay in Waco than the Cotton Palace B and B . Excellent is the highest evaluation on this review but it rates higher.

Room Tip: Book early you DO NOT want to miss out on a chance to stay at the Cotton Palace
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
It's always fun to return to your roots and we were so glad to be a part of your return to yours and to reminisce at your high school reunion. It was wonderful to get a chance to hear about your travels and your life after high school. It was a treat to know you as a fellow student but a special blessing to get to know you as an adult. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay. We will look forward to seeing you again and thanks for recommending us to others!
Seattle
Reviewed 25 August 2013

What a beautiful place this is! Very comfortable beds. Breakfast was superb. Best of all Dutch is a delightful companion at breakfast. Becky and Matt are so welcoming. My son and husband enjoyed the cookies. We stayed in Matt's Attic which is the entire 3 rd floor. It is perfect for a family. The other rooms are beautifully decorated too. Don't miss this gem. We will definitely stay here again soon.

• Stayed August 2013
TheCottonPalace, Owner at The Cotton Palace, responded to this review, 8 September 2013
So glad the boys liked the cookies! Matt's Attic is a great space for a family or friends wanting several separate bed. It has a queen bed and a single bed and a trundle bed that sleeps 2 more. We'd love to have you make a return visit!
Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed 6 August 2013

All the rooms had something special. You won't go wrong with any of them. I didn't see the one in the attic, but my friend said it was very nice. Breakfast was wonderful, and we fell in love with "Dutch". Thank you Becky for all your hard work to make the Cotton Palace such a special place.

Room Tip: All the rooms had something special. You won't go wrong with any of them. I didn't see the...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
TheCottonPalace, Owner at The Cotton Palace, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Glad you enjoyed your breakfast with Dutch! He does make for a lively breakfast every morning. Seemed like you thoroughly enjoyed your high school reunion - hope it's not another 5 years before we get to see you again! I will be sending you that breakfast recipe you asked for - hope it's a hit on your brunch!