“Potential, with Problems”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner
Reviewed 17 August 2013

We used to love going to trivia night at Sam's--the margaritas, "cuban cigars," and the queso are great. However, we were just there tonight and were trying to pinpoint the problem. It seems like other people notice a problem too, since it was 6:30-7:30 on a Saturday and we were literally the only people in the restaurant. There were four servers on duty so I had to feel bad for them--obviously not making any tips. I still love the meats, especially the pork & brisket, but the atmosphere kills the experience. There is no decor except huge TVs and fake plants--nothing on the walls--and the color scheme is dominated by black--no imagination and not cozy. Maybe put up some festive art and recover the chairs with interesting fabric? The windows are so bright and stark with no curtains and the blazing Waco sun shining through in your eyes. It feels very stark, like you're eating in an airplane hangar or a garage. Also, our server(s) seemed more interested in talking to each other than service--no refills on my husband's empty water even when the server brought our food, and we also needed napkins. The food also came inexplicably slowly since we were the only people there. Also, I know this is a matter of personal preference, but the cheesy country music playing didn't help contribute to the atmosphere. I actually had to beg my husband to come there tonight because he hates the atmosphere so much there, and it was confirmed by our experience (I am pregnant and was craving the al pastor nachos--I tried to bring my out of town family there last week and my husband put his foot down). Another problem is the way the menu is set up. The street tacos are good, but they seem so expensive when ordered a la carte. Psychologically, it would feel better if you could get a "taco plate"--two tacos and a side or two--for seven or eight dollars. It just feels like so much to pay 3.75 for one itty bitty taco. It would also be less complicated and feel more like a full dinner--seems like it would make more money for the restaurant too because it would encourage people to order more food.

Reviewed 7 June 2013

I work downtown town and order lunch from Sam's on the Square quite often. Friendly people and great good. I look forward to my after work happy hours, nice, convenient and good cold beer.

Reviewed 5 June 2013

I have eaten at Sam's on the Square several times and always the service has been subpar and the food has been cold. I'm not impressed.

Reviewed 30 May 2013

A somewhat unique independent restaurant with some local dishes that are above average in both taste and presentation. The younger crowd seems to enjoy the evening hours and the bar, whereas the older groups tend to come for lunch.

Mary Jane C, Owner at Sam's on the Square, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2013

Thanks for taking the time to write the review. We look forward to having you back soon!

Reviewed 1 February 2013

I love the food, especially the queso and the burrito bowls! But the last two times I have eaten there the Mexican Martini was awful. They used to have the best in town and it was the main reason I would go there. My wife's purple margarita was also bad on our last visit on 1/31/13. I miss my favorite Mexican Martini!