“Extremely Pleasant Dining Experience”

Jake's Texas Tea House
Ranked #9 of 426 Restaurants in Waco
Price range: US$8 - US$14
Cuisines: American
Description: 1940's vintage gas station themed restaurant. We serve a large menue with a fun family atmosphere.
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We stopped by this past Sunday before dropping my daughter off at "band camp" at Baylor University. The Sunday meals are served family style. This was kind of new to me. The salads are prepared at your table and all the sides are served in bowls that you can serve yourself from. Vegetables and bread are all you can eat. I had the hamburger steak, my wife had chicken tenders. Vegetables were creamed corn, mashed potatoes, green beans and black eyed peas. Overall some of the best southern cooking I've had in quite some time. Wait staff and management were friendly,knowledgeable and attentive. I really think anyone can enjoy this place, we really did and will probably go back next week.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

My group of 6 enjoyed the Chcicken Fried Steak, baked goods/desserts baked on the premises, nice salad, tasty corn, mashed potatos etc. Many of the sides were served family style. Entrees were so large we ordered 3 entrees (~$14) and 3 sharing plates ($7.99) where you get all of the sides and bread but share the huge entree. 1950's cut in half Ford Fairlane, lots of oil signs and license plate tags. Restaurant in historic part of town in old brick building. had plenty of free saturday evening off-street parking despite being in downtown. My hole group enjoyed it. They had run out of pot roast before we arrived--menu mentions this possibility

1  Thank John B
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We went by and really enjoyed the decor of the restaurant. Our kids got fun meals in car-shaped boxes. The food was decent, not remarkable. We were looking forward to dessert, which I think could have been great, but our service was so bad that we decided not to stay for dessert. The owner seated us and was kind, and the other servers seemed helpful, but our server seemed annoyed when we asked for things, and he did offer anything unless we flagged him down to ask.

Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

This was my first time to come here. I heard about Jake's through the town and I had to try it out. I never get to eat here because of the hours of operation but today was different. I had a chicken fried steak and mash potatoes and corn. The chicken fried steak was like every other one I have had. I'll pick a different side then corn next time I go. It wasn't too sweet, but the mashed potatoes were delicious. The gravy was very bland. I just wanted more potatoes. Overall the place was good and the atmosphere was cool. They had old signs everywhere.

Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

We stumbled up on this place in downtown Waco, and glad we stopped in for lunch.The decor is old timey car, oil, and garage motifs. A fun place to eat for the whole family! Kids meals are served in a car-shaped box that they took as a keepsake. We had catfish, burgers, and homestyle veggies served family style. All was delicious! Will be back when we're in town again.