“Local owned, local operated”

El Conquistador Restaurant
Ranked #60 of 408 Restaurants in Waco
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 4 October 2013

This resturant sets the standard for Mex-Tex food in my opinion. Very good wait staff, very accomidating and have no problem with variations to the menu. Adult beverages are always very cold and mixed very well. Salsa is some of the best around. We eat there at least once a week.

1  Thank Jim H

Reviewed 9 August 2013

After just a 5-10 minute wait, we were seated in a booth in the main dining area. It was at least another 10 minutes before the waiter come to take our drink order. The entrees were served with NO SILVERWARE and the waiter was no where in sight. We ate with fingers and he finally showed back up as we finished eating, We ordered dessert, including ice cream, and asked for silverware.
The dessert came as did a knife and fork, but no spoon for the ice cream. We ate the ice cream with a knife, as again, he was nowhere in sight. As another table was seated near us, we heard him tell them that he had a table of friends that he was serving on the other side of the restaurant, which explained his lack of attentiveness to his assigned section.

This service was very poor and we will not be in a hurry to go back..

1  Thank ExplorerJazz100
Reviewed 22 March 2013

My son and I went this evening for the first time. We both enjoyed it. We weren't sure what to think with such mixed reviews. We sat in a large room with the bar on one end. There is a larger room to the back of the restaurant. There were several TVs with the Baylor men's basketball game on. We had about a five minute wait. We really liked the salsa. It seemed freshly made. We ordered the queso with beef which was good but nothing special. I had a Tex Mex plate with a cheese enchilada, 2 tamales, rice and beans. My son had the enchilada plate. Overall, we give it 4 out of 5 stars. The food was exactly what we expected and wanted. The sopapillas are free on the weekends according to our waiter. They were good but thicker than some other places. The service was good. We will definitely go back!

1  Thank Cwax
Reviewed 26 October 2012

This is a mexican food place that does not pretend to be a cloth napkin eatery. The salsa is usually just right. It is made on site with fresh tomatoes etc. Sometimes it is hotter than other times, but it is always good. Don't order American food here-it will not be as good. Ted and his family run the place and they are dedicated to cooking excellent standard Mexican food. If you are looking for exotic Mexican food go to a Mexican Fusion place.

1  Thank Richard J
Reviewed 22 October 2012

My wife and I were one of Ted's first customers back in the mid 70s while I was in law school. We had less than no money, but alway scraped together enough money to go to El Con a couple of times a month. After a few good menu items, I tried the sour cream chicken enchiladas. In the following 35 years, I have tried SCCE all over Texas and the SW.. None are better. We moved to East Texas, but never pass on a chance to stop at El Con.

Been to El Conquistador Restaurant? Share your experiences!