“Food OK But...”

1424 Bistro
Ranked #151 of 383 Restaurants in Waco
Price range: US$10 - US$40
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: "Waco's home for good food, wine and conversation" Not only is the food wonderful but 1424 offers a full bar. Now 1424 offers fresh seafood too!Hours of Operation: Tuesday-Saturday 5pm to 10pm and Sunday for Lunch 11am to 2pm and Dinner 5pm to 9pm!
“Food OK But...”
Reviewed 11 August 2013

thought the food was a little pricey for what it was however, the waite staff has had NO TRAINING. I ask about one of the side orders and the young man's answer was he did not know anything about it. NOT the young man's fault - he just has had NO TRAINING. Teach them the menu anyway!!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Papamac5515

Austin, Texas
“Underwhelming is an Understatement”
Reviewed 30 July 2013

What used to be a delicious restaurant where one could enjoy a consistently fresh and flavorful meal, is now a place that serves freshly THAWED (then steamed) sides. Their cheese plate is a sad joke.

Expect to pay too much for something worse than what someone like me (i.e. zero culinary skills) could make at home. It's insulting.

Want to speak to Aris (the owner/Head Chef)? Good luck. The other managers (i spoke with some woman named Sally) might offer you a free appetizer next time you visit, but don't expect any sort of apology or sign of remorse for your disappointing experience.

Bottom line: Don't let the charming ambiance fool your tastebuds.

You have options, exercise them - 135 Prime/Diamond Back's/The Grape/cooking at home/eating leftovers/not eating at all

Central Texas
“Food choices have changed”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We've eaten here with out-of-town guests and on special occasions in the past. However, the food choices seem to have changed--and not for the better in our opinion. They used to have more Greek/Mediterranean. Now, not so much. The last time we went, we couldn't find any of our favorites and have decided not to go back soon.

Visited October 2012
Woodway, Texas, United States
“Very nice with good food”
Reviewed 25 July 2013

One of my co-worker treated me to lunch at 1424. It is a very nice out of the bistro. There is seating outside if you can face the central Texas heat. The atmosphere is very relaxing. Nice to go somewhat for lunch where the you can hear your conversation and don't have to talk over loud music. I had southwestern tilapia and my friend had salmon. My fish was very tasty and the rice pilaf was very good. If a veggie had come with the fish that would have been even better. My meal was 9.99 plus tax and the salmon was10.99 which we thought was reasonable. I plan to go back for inner on one of the night's when there is live music. It definitely was a refreshing change from the usual eating establishments downtown.

2 Thank Aquanetta B
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Save Your Money!!”
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Went to dinner hoping to have found a good restaurant in Waco. This was NOT it. First, we were asked if we had reservations, which surprised us since the front of the restaurant was empty and there were only 5 tables being used in the back. I suppose they could have been waiting for a large party later but no one showed by the time we left at 9pm. Our waiter was in training and did a fine job for his first day. The food was another story. We skipped the appetizer since the mussels in lemon sauce was not available. In retrospect, I'm thankful for that. The waiter brought a plate with four slices of bread (day old?) And a half dozen butter packets (the kind with a foil top) Really? If you are going to charge $18.00-40.00 for an entree you'd think a bread basket with warm bread and butter in a dish would be more appropriate. While we were waiting on our entrees we noticed a faint smell of something…..the flaming cheese appetizer? A bathroom back up? We couldn’t quite figure it out and didn’t want to investigate. So we drank our wine hoping it would dissipate soon. Our salads were mediocre (think school cafeteria salad with a pile of lettuce and the obligatory 2 slices of tomato arranged on either side of the plate.) The Chilean bass was VERY undercooked and bland. The Orange-vermouth Sea scallops, while cooked perfectly, had zero flavor! When I say no flavor...I am not kidding. It was as if they had been soaking in water all day just to remove any trace of flavor. The sauce was seemingly non-existent. Thankfully there was a slice of orange as a garnish to remind me of the “flavor” they were going for. Bottom line…..it’s not worth the money. There are better places in Waco …trust me. I won't be going back.