“Good location, frustrating water pressure and temp”

La Quinta Inn Waco University
Ranked #20 of 30 Hotels in Waco
Reviewed 12 March 2012

Frankly, when in Waco I like to stay at the Hilton. That probably says something about me, but it's not that I'm a snob or need extreme luxuries; Waco is just dodgy when it comes to hotels, and I know the Hilton will be clean, comfortable and polite.

This La Quinta has seen better days, but given the limited options it's a good value and a great location. My recent stay (Feb '12) reminded me of a problem that I had experienced here before: extreme variations in pressure and temperature of the water. Your shower can turn scalding or freezing without warning. While this might be only an annoyance for someone mobile, I was placed in a ADA-fixtured room and I thought about the poor soul who might not be able to dodge the temperature changes so easily. Added to that, the very limited "free" breakfast (don't know the hours, but by the time I got there both mornings there was only coffee available), noisy environment (I-35 and all-night Denny's) and amateurish staff, I'll splurge on the Hilton from now on. The room was nice, with free wi-fi and decent linens and pillows, but I can get all that elsewhere without the liability of being scalded.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank hermesdad
There are newer reviews for La Quinta Inn Waco University

Reviewed 2 March 2012

We love staying here in Waco. It's an old motel type place with small rooms. The price is usually right and we like being on the edge of the Baylor campus. The breakfast is not great. We had connecting rooms, something you can't get in many places anymore.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank baytownbear
Reviewed 31 January 2012

I chose this LaQuinta Inn because of its location on I35 and because it is pet friendly. I like the location because while close to I35, it is next to residential neighborhood. Denny's is right next door to the north. The Clay Pot Vietnamese restaurant is right next doorc to the south.

The entrance is inviting, reminiscent of a Spanish hacienda. The lobby is large, bright and very clean. The reception staff is friendly, helpful. The room is large, very clean, quiet and adequately supplied with traveler's essentials. This is an older facility, but a very good value. This is our second stay at this hotel. We will be staying here on our return trip.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank KSMeadowlark
Reviewed 6 January 2012

Nice basic hotel easy to get to . we had 4 rooms checked in late and told desk clerk that we would be using another card upon check out. He said he would make a note this morning the girl had charged my card and was a little put out that she had to change it. This also happen last year when we stayed here. Other than that the rooms are clean and updated and the staff is friendly .

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 November 2011

This is a standard older LaQuinta Inn. It has been well maintained and is clean and quiet. Service was excellent with no problems with the reservation, check-in, the room, check-out or the public areas.

We made the reservation about 20 minutes before we arrived and they had the key and room ready.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 November 2011

This little motel is a great place to stay anytime you're in Waco on Baylor related business. I stayed for the football game against Iowa St. this year and was pleasantly surprised. My last stay was for orientation as an incomming freshman in 1996.

The room was nicely updated with new bed dressing, carpet etc. The flatscreen tv was very nice and the room was clean. I also like hotels of this caliber to have outside facing doors as opposed to interior halls. I have found that it makes the room less suceptible to late night noisy neighbors.

All in all I will be staying here again for gameday...unfortunately for my next trip they are booked.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the backside of the motel as it is the side closest to campus and farthest from...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank thomasjurisd
Reviewed 12 September 2011

This is a great hotel for people that have pets. They allow up to 2 pets per room as long as the pets are under 50 pounds and they don't charge extra. The hotel is very clean but dated. I would compare it to a motel 6 or 8. Our room had 2 full beds, TV, computer desk and the bathroom. The springs on the beds squeaked. The vanity area has hardwood floors and is fairly decent size so if you brought along a pet gate, you can leave your pets there. I believe the policy is you can leave your pets in the room if they are crated. I would think if your room is already cleaned up and the maid wasn't going to enter, you could possibly leave your pets in the vanity area gated up if they aren't huge barkers.

I think if you have rooms that face I-35 it can get noisy. Our room was on the backside but faced 9th street and it was a bit noisy. My dogs kept waking up because people were talking loudly while passing by. The hotel is right next to Baylor dorms and lots of food places off I-35.

Breakfast is from 6-9 on weekdays and 7-10 on weekends which was a bummer for us since we had to leave early in the morning. They had the waffle maker, toast, bananas, apples, broiled eggs, cereal, and various muffins and danishes. There was also fruit juice and coffee. They didn't offer any hot eggs or sausages but there was enough food.

Although dated, I gave this establishment a 4 start because of their pet policy, friendly hotel staff and good location. The staff was very accommodating and understanding.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms away from the street and freeway.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family