“Vintage travel experience”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Wharton
Tee Pee Motel & RV Park
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Wharton
Dallas, TX
“Vintage travel experience”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I rated this remodeled vintage motel four stars only because of the unique travel experience. Originally built in the early 1940, it was purchased and remodeled in 2005. The Tee Pee's are located in the countryside, just outside of town and are very quiet. My room was clean, with a full-size bed, futon couch, small "coffee table", frig and microwave. Unfortunately the bed was very soft and sagged in the middle, but was OK for one night. The bathroom was small and clean, except for the shower, which appeared to have some mold on the floor tile. The AC worked well and the Wi-Fi was free and fairly fast. There are picnic tables and grills in front of each unit. I never met the owner/managers, as I was checked-in by an associate in late afternoon and left before the office was open in the morning. An interesting trip back in time and a fun stop for visitors to the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a non-smoking room.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank texasrepublichistory

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Hempstead, Texas
Reviewed 25 July 2013

In planning for a recent vacation, my wife found a motel she wanted to visit. In the early '40s, people were just starting to travel long distances by cars and motels were opening. Places wanted an edge and buildings appeared as hotdogs, ducks, cows, dogs and lots and lots of teepees. The fast majority of these wonderful bits of Americana succumbed to progress. About nine years ago, some folks saved this one. On highway 60 running through Wharton, Texas is a semi-circular drive lined with concrete wigwams from 1942. The rooms are not spacious but are scrupulously clean and far nicer than the vast majority of motels i've experienced. The folks there are nice and I am only sorry that we couldn't stay longer (their weekends are usually booked) and that we had missed the antique car club that stayed there the week before.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Richard S
Cypress, Texas
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We decided to try something new this Memorial Day. Instead of heading to the places that were most likely going to be packed we headed in the opposite direction. We wanted somewhere quiet and in a less traveled direction. I had seen a blurb awhile ago about the TeePee motel and had always wanted to go. I decided this was the destination for us this Memorial Day. I was impressed from the moment we checked in. The staff was more than willing to bend over backwards to make our stay the most enjoyable. The service was even better than some hotels I have spent a significant amount of money to stay at. We enjoyed the teepee and the quietness this location provided. My family and I enjoyed every minute of our stay at the TeePee motel. If this has been on your list of things to see - don't wait you will enjoy!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank JCM1975
Giddings, Texas, United States
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Ok, I saw this online and was so excited I had to go and stay a night with my hubby on the way to Vinton, LA. It was cute and very romantic . I felt as if I was camping. We packed a lunch made up a picnic at the tables located outside our Tipi. That was great. We went in to unpack has a full bed a futon sofa a desk, icebox, and microcwave. The Tv hangs on the wall above the foot of the bed. The folding door to the restroom was hard to close by the end of the night fell off on us,My hubby put it back on. Next to the bed was a lamp (didn't work) phone (didnt work) all on a cute little table. Ice box and Microwave worked great. Nice big shower for two....coffee maker, blowdryer and etc. Our over all stay was good. With the things that didnt work made it feel like camping but in a room with a great A/C. We both agreed we would stay again. Great town good food..ate at 9er's mmmm best Chicken fried steak !!

Room Tip: The non smoking room that my Mother in law stayed in was much cleaner.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Tammy B
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed 14 March 2013

We are not high maintenence and we prefer to stay in small "mom and pop" places with charm. We decided to spend our 10 year anniversary in the tee-pee and we really enjoyed it. We had a picnic table and grill outside of our door.I forget the nice lady's name ( I want to say it was Billie? Bobbie?) but when we didn't have any lighter fluid she rant to her house and let us use hers. They have an ice machine at the front and amenities you would want if you were staying in the rv campground on site. The ac was cold, the internet was fine, we had cable, bathroom was small- but it is in a tee-pee and it worked. I went to stay in a tee-pee not a 5 star hotel. I knew what I was signing up for.
The one complaint I would throw out there, is that they put those crunchy mattress covers on the bed. ( You know, to keep water off of it for potty training?) That made the nights crinkly. But, I would stay here again and tell everyone what a nice time we had.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Trish L
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 13 May 2012

Actually I never even made it. In the midst of a year long burn ban, we were looking for some place to celebrate New Year's Eve. We had been here before on 12/31 and had a blast. However, Mary, who works in the office is beyond rude. Even her coworkers felt the need to apologize for her rampant rudeness. I was informed there was no burn ban and Mary felt the need to inform that "they were not going to jail for any city folks thinking they could come out here and blow things up." I just brushed that aside. However, when she told me we had "better clean up after ourselves", I just decided it was not worth it. I had been there many times and loved it. It is a little worn out, but who cares? It was cool and a teepee!!! However, I am spending my money. She has a job because people come there and spend their money. I won't be back. She was so nasty and unprofessional. She definitely doesn't need to work with the public. Maybe a morgue is better suited for her personality.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
21 Thank modboxmom
Tee Pee M, Manager at Tee Pee Motel & RV Park, responded to this review, 4 June 2013
The Tee Pee Motel is under New Management and has taken steps to insure these deficiencies have been taken care of. It is our goal to make sure each and every guest enjoys their stay and we are always open for suggestions to make your stay a great one!

We do apologize for any shortcomings of any staff member in the past. You will be impressed with our new "crew"!
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 10 January 2012

There are some updates on the tee pee. One of my biggest dissapointments is that it has a drop ceiling and the ceiling does not go up to top. But it is tired and needs some TLC. The tee pee we stayed in had new carpet and a new couch (futon). But the paint was peeling on wall, cobwebs in bathroom and the baseboards and different wood in room was in bad shape. The counter in bathroom needs to be replaced with something a little newer. The counter was old wood and had stains on it. The bed had a plastic cover so it sounded cheap. The bed was comfortable except for the plastic sound. The shower sprayed onto bathroom floor because it could not be lowered. The shower is a nice size but nowhere to put your soap. The tile work in shower looked updated also. During the day, the view from the door is looking out across a field of homes that isn't very nice. Over all, the tee pee was clean but just needs some refreshing. I can atleast say I finally stayed there.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a smoking or nonsmoking room. The higher the number tee pee the farther from t...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank lovesweekends94
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wharton
Americas Best Value Inn Wharton
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Wharton
Country Hearth Inn
Country Hearth Inn
#2 of 8 in Wharton
Days Inn El Campo, TX
Days Inn El Campo, TX
#2 of 4 in El Campo

Been to Tee Pee Motel & RV Park? Share your experiences!