“A place to unwind and relax..”
Review of White Bluff Resort

White Bluff Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Whitney
Reviewed 9 August 2013 via mobile

I will start with the good points first:
1. Good size condo for a fam of four as the sofa is nor a sofa bed unless u bring an airbed. Though is looks like with sofa bed/air bed it can comfortably fit 6-8 people.
2. Decors are Texas country style and nice! Not too fancy!
3. The aircon and fans in all rooms are enough to beat the Texas summer heat!
4. Enough linens and pillows for additonal 2 airbeds (as the sofa is not a sofa bed).

Now on to the negative points:
1. Stayed one week as an interval owner, paying $450/ annual maintenance fee and $140/ wk fee for the stay and was surprised that for one week's stay, they do not do a midweek linen exchange nor a clean up service ( to do so will charge you for a fee).
2. Not to mention that their pool use does not provide you even with pool towel. So being your beach towels as white towels in condo is only for 6 peeps.
3. Most interval/timeshare we had provides for utensils for 8 people. This provides for 6 and the kitchen is not fully stocked. The electric can opener is not working, there are no grills/ pans for baking or broiling in oven. The knives set is not complete as well as the cutlery set.

As to the facilities, the pool and health center is nice! I travelled with kids and my mom and they accommodated my request for a 1st floor condo.
However, when we went for dinner at The Lighthouse that weekend, the service was so horrible!
When you make reservations, you usually leave a message and they are supposed to call you back. At 430 pm, I called the third time and luckily, somebody answered and I was able to confirm my reservation though when I asked to have my reservation moved from 7 pm to 730, the lady in the other line asked if 8 pm was ok. And I said yes. When we arrived, they said my reservation was at 7. And there was confusion but they accommodated us still (the restaurant was not full that time). However, Service was so slow as our soup arrived 30 mins later, the pasta 40 mins later and the tilapia (50 mins later). My daughter's kids meal arrived 35 mins later too. Getting the bill took 20 min (as the servers are nowhere to be found- they are in the kitchen most of the time, or they walk and not look around). Then again, getting somebody's attention took another 10 mins to give our payment. The place was not crowded though. This is not our first time to come here (we are property owners) and spent several times here but it seems the service is not becoming par to their claim as a fine, classy dining place. Prices for entree is fr $15-30 FYI.
I hope management will look into this. We have come back several times here and will look forward to more visits in the future as well as the other properties too.

• Stayed: August 2013
4  Thank bituin
fmolsen, General Manager at White Bluff Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

Thank you for your constructive comments. We have addressed the housekeeping issues. We will be happy to provide more utinsels in the future to meet your needs.We are addressing the food and bervearge issues and trust your next visit will be without incident. Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 24 July 2013

We just spent a relaxing, fun weekend at White Bluff. It was only an hour and a half southwest of Dallas but felt like we were much further away. The townhouse we stayed in was well appointed and comfortable. It had a gorgeous view of the full length of the 18th fairway (Old Course) out our living room window. Our golf outing was challenging because of the placement of the sand traps and water. The homemade potato chips at the Trophy Grille (lunch when we made the turn to Hole #10) were worth a trip themselves- very addictive! Our dinner at the Lighthouse was absolutely delicious and the two of us in the wine business (we eat out a lot) were happily surprised at how good the food was and how professional the service was. We got after-dinner drinks and hung out on the deck of the restaurant to enjoy the sunset and wonderful view.. suspended over the lake. We loved all the wildlife that roamed around.. lost count of the roadrunners and deer. All in all, a great weekend trip without fighting airports or spending a fortune. We'll be back.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CM_wines

Thank you for the kind comments. Hurry back!

Reviewed 18 July 2013

My parents own a home at White Bluff. For our wedding, my wife's family and my family came to White Bluff Resort for the week to celebrate. The ceremony and the reception at the Lighthouse were fantastic. We had a great time all week enjoying the lake, the pools, and the golf courses. All the staff members were very friendly and helpful. We had family members staying at the Condos and at the Hotel. Both facilities were great, and the lake views were beautiful. We have plans to bring both families back in a year or two and do it all again! I would recommend White Bluff for events or just a family vacation.

Room Tip: Ask for a Lakeview room if you're staying at the Inn.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank MCBELLJR

Thank you for the wonderful comments and the opportunity to accommodate you.

Reviewed 10 November 2012

I recently visited White Bluff looking for a site for our coporate meetings. This is a gated golf community. The minute you drive through the gates you can feel the peace. Very quiet and beautiful. The hotel rooms are nice and mine faced the lake so I got to see a beautiful sunset. The massage at the spa was exceptional. The meeting room was perfect. There is a boat dock for guest - perfect for fisherman. The big dissapointment was the food. The Lighthouse restaurant is only open on the weekends. The expected me to have my executices dine at the grill on the golf course. I tried the food and it was horrible. Such a dissapointment for such a beautiful elegant place. I cant' believe they wanted us to eat burgers and fries for $340 a night.

Room Tip: Definily get the lake view.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for the kind comments. I am sorry you were unaware that the Lighthouse Restaurant was not open during the week. I will make sure my staff informs all our guests in the future.

Reviewed 26 May 2012

We stayed the third week of May 2012 at the Heartwood Condos of White Bluff Resort overlooking Lake Whitney. We travel worldwide with Wyndham/RCI timeshares, so we were curious as to how the Double Diamond timeshares would compare. Our condo was excellent. We had 2 bd/2 bath with a spacious living area. The condo decor was appropriately Texas Country with attention to artistic detail, all very clean, well-appointed with every appliance and amenity. I was impressed that we had an adorable reading area with about 80 hardback books!The bedding (9 pillows) was extremely comfortable, the towels new and fluffy, and the condo had a washer/dryer. White Bluff is a very quiet, remote area, 10 miles from the nearest small town of Whitney. Visitors would be advised to stop in Whitney at the Brookshires for the week's groceries to avoid a trip back; the Marina store is open only on weekends and stocks few items. Each morning we visited the fitness facility, which we had pretty much to ourselves, and enjoyed working out with a lake view. The adjoining spa is lovely and offers a full line of services; however when we were there, we saw no visitors. There are four nice pools at White Bluff, all with special features such as cascading waterfalls, fountains and split levels. We had a wonderful and reasonably-priced dinner (Pork Tenderloin, grilled salmon, Steak San Antoin) at the beautiful Lighthouse Restaurant. The presentation was excellent and the wait staff good. The restaurant bar has a great patio bar overlooking the lake and sometimes offers entertainment. Sadly, the restaurant is open only on weekends; however, the Trophy Grill at the New Course clubhouse makes great burgers! On Wednesday and Thursday nights, we enjoyed their Steak Night and All-you-can-eat Catfish, events well-attended by the locals. The grounds of White Bluff are beautifully kept; about 75% are still wild areas, which allows for viewing of deer, wild turkey, and other wildlife. During our week, we saw an ocelot and a skunk. Although we took our bikes, the area is very hilly so we opted to drive and then hike much of the time. Other activities available are golfing, fishing, and boating. (Ski-doo rental is $75 & pontoon boats $250. We wished there had been smaller motor boats or canoes.) Tennis courts exist but are not as well kept as the rest of the resort. The resort has wi-fi for computer and many television channels, but our Sprint phone had no cell coverage. We understand that AT&T and Verizon worked fine. One day, we drove to Whitney and spent about 3 hours perusing several antique shops. Another day, we drove to Ft. Worth, only an hour, to the museum district. Whatever our plans for the day, we always tried to make it back to the condo in time to watch the gorgeous sunset from our deck!

Room Tip: The upstairs Heartwood condos have a lake view.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ShuffWaco_Texas

Thank you for the kind words. We are working hard to get a AT&T tower here to improve the phone reception. Hope to have you abck again soon.

Reviewed 18 March 2012

I was nervous about staying here based on the widely varying reviews. For the most part- I would highly recommend staying at the White Bluff Resort. The directions they sent when I made the reservations were perfect and made it easy to find. The resort property was beautiful. We stayed in the Inn facing the lake. It was an incredible view. The room was very nice, it had a vaulted ceiling which made the room feel more spacious. Two complaints about the room. One- the other reviews were correct- the beds were extra firm! I like a firm mattress- and these were too firm. THey really should invest in some foam to soften the beds- it would be a wise investment. The second complaint was the a/c. It was not central a/c- it was a window unit...and it blew out something black onto the bed when the unit was on. I looked close enough at it to know it wasn't mold- but it was annoying.

There was a restaurant on the property that we ate at for breakfast. It was very good. Prices were not too high- and it was nice to have it so close. It was very hard to find. The problem was there was no sign- as it shared the building with the Golf Club. There was another restaurant also- but we were there mid-week, and so it was closed.

It was very quiet and relaxing and we will definitely try to go back. Next time we will bring something to soften the beds!

One more annoying thing- we were told the pool areas would be open- and the one closest to us never was - it was to cool to swim- but we wanted to sit by the pool and read or play a game.

Room Tip: No pets allowed- no smoking allowed. Get a lake view room- it is worth the extra cash!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank starsfanatic99

We are planning on replacing all the beds in 2014. But please ask for a pillow crate for your room on your next visit. It will soften the bed.

Reviewed 28 November 2011

Booked the resort for Thanksgiving as wanted to get away for a while. Range condo overlooking driving range. Small, clean but very old furnishings inside. Sofa bed practically impossible to sleep on. Dinner first night at Trophy Grill - abysmal food. My daughter's pasta was inedible, just disgusting. Asked waitress to remove from table and bill as was disgusting - no apology, no offer to replace, no manger askign what was wrong, just an "OK". Thanksgiving lunch at Lighthouse Inn "upscale dining"...not sure what scale they were using. Mediocre at best and the poor kid hacking at the turkey should have been given some lessons on how to carve. Not worth the $29.95/person that is for sure. At least the wine was cheap.

Two good things - the deer on site are beautiful and Tres Hermanos Mexican Restaurant in Whitney is very good. Other than that - stay away from here.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank Roger61Texas
fmolsen, General Manager at White Bluff Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2011

My sincere apology for your unpleasant dinning experinces. Should you give us another visit I would be delighted to have you as my guest at the Lighthouse Restaurnt. I am confident your next experince would be far more pleasant. Contact me at fmolsen@whitebluffresort.com if you decide to return.

Been to White Bluff Resort? Share your experiences!