“Great Fun, Don't Miss It!”

Southern Empress Cruises
Reviewed 17 December 2013

We went on the Cocktail Cruise and it was a blast! We got way more than what we expected, there were 3 comedians, 2 were really funny and the other was ok. We did sit at the dock for quite awhile but once we left it was very nice, the entertainment started while we were still at the dock so it was not boring. Cocktails are available on all levels and there is also dancing. If you are on vacation and want to check out Lake Conroe, contact Southern Empress Cruises, there are several different types of cruises available, one is a Dinner Cruise and it is not too bad. This old paddle wheel ship has history behind it and you should search on the web on how it was delivered to Lake Conroe, this is a great place to start: http://www.southernempress.com/sec/visitor-information/southern-empress-history
Have FUN!!!!!!

3  Thank Tregniw

Reviewed 12 November 2013

I'll agree somewhat with other readers, the dining room tables are too close that sit by the windows. (Ask to be seated at the middle tables when you make your reservations if you need a little more room) The side dishes were very good as well as the beef and my friends seemed pleased with the chicken. It wasn't "make ya want to slap your momma good" but good :-) I spoke to the Captain and there is ongoing renovations and I do agree...some are still needed. There were four of us, no regrets on going...we did get our tickets from Groupon. The staff was very friendly as well as the Captain, the dj was fun and got out and line danced with everyone to try and get the party started! He also had a huge selection of music. I would say this was the perfect time of year, it was cool and comfortable for most the trip and warm enough inside when the weather got cold. The bathrooms are small...it is a ship. We couldn't help but laugh when we were in the ladies room, but it made it a funny part of the memory. I'll also add...I'm six feet tall...ladies you'll understand!

We're actually planning on going again!

1  Thank PrissyKim
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We had bought tickets for 8 people to celebrate a birthday for a friend. The ship never left the dock due to engine failure. So we told we could stay to eat, on a ship that was to be a 3 hour cruise with a dinner. Who in there right mind would want to sit at the dock and eat. They told us we could get a refund. But you had to call back in on a friday which was a week after the cruise was suppose to launch. The ship is in need of major over haul. It is run downed and the air conditioning wasn't working, this was in Aug. So it was really hot. It took me 5 phones calls and 5 weeks later to get my refund back. Which was over 600 dollars. Then I get a buch of excuses as to why this took so long. They took my money as soon as I ordered the tickets. But they have a real hard time in refunding you back your money. I will never go there for a cruise. Terrible conditons of the ship and terrible way to treat your customers. To high prices , Bathrooms were a mess.

2  Thank unhappy c
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We sat on the boat at the dock for 1/2 hr past the departure time. The seating for the luncheon was very cramped. The food was mediocre at best. There were not even enough rolls served at our table for everyone to get one. We returned to the dock and were served dessert while at the dock. My expectations for this cruise were much higher. I brought out of state visitors on this cruise and was embarrassed by that I had chosen this cruise. I would not recommend this experience to anyone.

1  Thank JSTB
Reviewed 26 July 2013

for us to EVER go again. Starting with the embark time was one hour LATER than stated on the web site, person told us "We are trying to update the web site with correct times."-How hard is that? As compensation for the time error we were given tickets for 2 free drinks-which DID help our ruffled feathers. So back to the Tiki Bar(which was ok, not actually affiliated with the cruise but next door to it, nice bartender)for one more hour. After boarding, we went to the level where there was a dance floor and a surly, unfriendly bartender. He seemed to be miffed over us using the free drink tickets. The drinks were just ok.

Next off to the dinning room-because the web site for Southern Empress Cruise had repeatedly stated "sumptuous hospitality", " romance and enchantment of dining" and the local of "Southern"-we expected the food to be, well, southern. Nope-choice of chicken parmesan, or beef parmesan(never heard of this)The beef was a big meat ball. The dinning room was very crowded and noisy-if sumptuous means the waitress smacks gum the whole time waiting on you, I guess it was. NO enchantment anywhere! Also the already added in and required to pay, before sailing gratuity was approximately $10 per person. I am old school and still think a gratuity reflects my level of happiness with the food and service, I wonder if the gratuity was so high so that they could make some of their money back from so many using Groupons, etc.

Next back to the dance floor-there were small children on the floor running around. The live entertainment was a DJ. Restrooms were micro and smelly. Boat needs a total overhaul-hanging wires, rotting wood.

Would not recommend except for the views on the actual cruising part.

2  Thank rebecca t