“Vacation from HELL!!!!”

Sunset Harbor Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Willis
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This is the worst Vacation we have ever been on. My Family and I reserved a week at this place. We had read the reviews but, still went anyways. We got their on or about 6pm on Friday 4th July. We booked for a week, but checked out on Tuesday morning. There was 3 other guest waiting to check in, the Lady that worked at the resort, told all of us, that they were sold out of rooms. Luckily we had printed out our confirmation from Wydham/RCI. Reluctantly she found us a room. The first night was ok. We had a room overlooking the lake. The second day went downhill from the start. The bathroom started leaking from above. We had to use our umbrella while sitting on the commode, so we could not get wet. WE called maintenance, which it took over an hour; he walked in & walked out. He left and never returned. The water stopped leaking from upstairs for about a couple hours. Later that day while we were sitting in our room watching TV, on two separate occasions, two different people that worked at the hotel used their master key to enter our room, thinking it was unoccupied. The next day, we woke up, and the bathroom was flooded. We kept calling the front desk, and no one would answer the phone. We heard the cleaning people next door and we ask the lady and they tried calling the front desk, which they could not get an answer. They did however dry up the water and kept apologizing. The entire time of our stay, the guest upstairs were moving furniture and their children kept running up and down the floor, we could not get any slept. The up keeping of this resort STINKS. The next morning we woke up, there was no electricity, which meant no AC and the weather was about 95 degrees outside. This was the last straw. WE tried to check out of this resort but, they told us that someone had hit an electric pole, and we could not leave according to the Power Company. We had to sit in this hot A*#& Room for about 4 hours. When we went to check out, there was a SIGN posted on the Door, (WE are closed no Electricity). So we had to call the corporate office, which they gave us a number to called, which did not work. WE had to call the corporate office back. They apparently called someone that worked/lived in the resort. They came out of nowhere and took our keys. WE finally checked out and we will never come back to this Resort.

Room Tip: Don't go to this Resort
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Frankie P

Reviewed 3 July 2014

I stayed in room 312, its was a two bed room. It was clean, easy check in. Here is the good; nice location, quiet, was roomy enough. I did bring some cleaning supplies, becuase of the other reviews, I am glad I did. The tubs were not dirty, but not clean enough for me. Was disappointed in the kitchen supplies, there were two glass and not enough bowls. Not enough towel, and the beds sheets were not comfy..glad I brought my own. If you staying more than a week. I do think they should have more cleaning people and the pool was not working, but gave me a pass to go to another pool. It wasnt the best stay, but wasnt the worse either.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank chanie c
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Words can not describe what kind of shape this place is in. The people are rude and lazy. There is no one that will answer a phone after 5pm so if your toilet is over flowing or you have a leak you have to wait until 10am before you can let someone know. I have met 2 different people in the hall way that just got there and was packing to leave. Yes our room had mold, ankle deep water, holes in walls spiders everywhere,ice cream, all over bed, walls had dirty hand prints all over them, there was no ceiling in the bathroom, and the list goes on I have never stayed somewhere this horrible. Please look at all the different reviews.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Valgrant
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

This place was an easy drive from Dallas, very accommodating, the staff blended in with guest but were polite and pretty good at hospitality. It could have been cleaner..lots of spider webs, cob webs and mold..pet friendly and kid friendly. The view from the pool was beautiful but the hot tub was broke, which was my main reason for going and was not told prior to check in. The main pool was not too clean..But suitable for a swim. I would go again, but bring your own cleaning supplies as the resort had none. One trash bag for a week stay...One coffee

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank Jenine S
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Worst Resort Ever! We cut our vacation weekend early. Couldn't stand it any longer. I at.had to put 1 star. I wouldn't given it even th
So many flying bugs on the balcony that we had to buy spray and use it everyday.
No wifi even though they say they have it.
The A/C took 7 hours to cool from 81 degrees to 72. When ...we called the emergency number provided, they never called back.
Couch was broken (the hide-a-bed must have been out of whack) you couldn't sit on one of the sides.
Charged a $30 cleaning fee but the room wasn't clean
Their idea of a patio set was 2 folding chairs and a rusty metal table.
Building 1 had a truss bracing the 3rd floor walkway from the 2nd floor.
Towels were older than I am.
Vertical blinds were missing more slats than there were present
Shower curtain was too small
TV remotes didn't mtch the sets, which were the old console type.
The only TV stations available was what you caught with an antenna
Bring your own hangers (they don't provide any)
Full-size bed with broken springs
Several lights were out including the one over the stove.

The only great thing about this was our view. If it weren't for the fact that we were on our 22nd anniversary and we were trying to make the best of our vacation, we would have left on the first day.

Room Tip: Find another place to stay
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ReyPaulino
Reviewed 3 May 2014

UNSAFE BY THE WATER - EXPOSED NAILS - POPPED UP BOARDS ON BOARDWALK AND PIERS - LAWSUIT WAITING TO HAPPEN
This resort is dangerous especially to a child or to someone elderly. It doesn't matter if you supervise the child either; the boardwalk and piers are uneven with boards popping up. There are exposed rusty nails on the boardwalk. One board gave way on a pier soon after we walked there - I wondered if someone was hurt. The terrain is uneven is a major way. Then add night time walking and it is a recipe for disaster. Someone is going to trip, hit his/her head, fall in the lake and drown. And if you should just be injured, the upgraded rooms (granite kitchen, great appliances) won't even out the amount you'd spend at ER. I am young and fit and I stumbled several times when my shoe was caught by the warped boards - even carefully avoiding the popped up ones. No real stroll but the feeling you get when you are hiking - watch where you put your foot carefully.

STAFF
The staff, though very friendly and polite, are unresponsive to fulfilling requests (for enough glasses for 4 people in a condo for 6, for a remote to run the DVD, for a remote to switch the TV to video). But those should have been present when we arrived. I had to move the DVD player to another room and had no way to pause the movie even. I gave the wrong room number when requesting the remotes - my bad - but even with 3 days left and the right room, I never received any of the requested items. I went to the office and personally got them to give me a DVD remote.

RESORT ISSUES
1). The sheets won't stay on the bed because the elastic is gone. That tells the condition of the sheets.
2). The mildew in the jacuzzi tubs around the jets was nasty. I bleached the one of the two tubs that did work. I don't go on vacation to clean tubs. There wasn't enough hot water to fill the jacuzzi tub above the jets.
3). My feet were black whenever I walked on the carpet and I am caucasian.
4). There was a couch made for three that four thin folk could sit on closely. No extra upholstered chair was present and only dining chairs for the 4th person in the "privacy for four, sleeps six condo". How is that relaxing for watching something on TV? Either sardine it in or 1-3 people sit on the dining chairs.
5). Three dining glasses - condo sleeps 6 with pull out couch. Since only four of us were present, I didn't count the plates but don't believe there was a service for six.
6). Plaster in outdoor hot tub had many holes - hadn't been patched - where one sits.

WHAT WAS GOOD
1). Beautiful views from main bedroom and LR
2). Free wifi (came in handy when my husband got sick)
3). Nice kitchen
4). Cable
5). Fishing from balcony in 2 bedroom units
6). Pet allowed for a fee (how we ended up there)

ADDITIONAL:
The TVs are old box style - no complaint just telling you. Remotes aren't present (at least in our unit) except for the cable one which won't allow you to view DVDs. As noted, there are no activities. Not such a big deal since this is meant to be a boating/water location. Towels are threadbare. Parking is easy. Elevator helps with unloading and third floor unit. Landscaping is very nice. Drive is very bumpy if you have someone older with you go verrrrry slow. No one is there after 5pm when you discover missing items after check in at 4pm. No inventory. Soap, liquid handsoap, paper towels, dishwasher soap, two coffees, and kitchen trash bags supplied. Bring your own salt and pepper. Bring dishwashing soap if you want to wash anything by hand. Bring your own pool towels.

But bottom line, even getting to bring our dog doesn't make this resort good. It is unsafe. And I grew up boating so I am used to docks and piers. If this were a city owned pier, it would be closed.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Catherine T
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I stayed here last week and it was very nice inside. We don't come here to get "resort" feeling we come here to open the patio see the water on the back porch and make the best of our close to home get away! If your expecting Hotel service non of the "Condo" sort of places have them, this is not really a resort like you'd get in LO or Vegas! Its simply a nice stay away from home with many places to eat locally. Being on the water is my favorite so it was the reason for our stay and just to get away! It was not as clean as you might expect if your a clean freak like me, but it was not at all filthy like some might have suggested. I can tell the place had issues such as maintenance and cleaning staff thinking the Condo was vacant and coming in, but it was beautiful inside and clean. So are you a cup is half empty sort? I am a no matter what it will be fine, because my vacation is what I make of it. I enjoyed the view and the spot. Couch is small but fold out is standard size, I washed and brought my own sheets for the full fold out but seriously no complaints it was really nice spot, and the WIFI was what I was scared of most! Ours was great worked perfect all 7 days!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank Deedrahsue
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willis
Red Roof Inn Conroe North-Willis
Best Western Lake Conroe Inn
Super 8 Montgomery/ Lake Conroe
La Quinta Inn & Suites Conroe
Embassy Suites by Hilton The Woodlands at Hughes Landing
Fairfield Inn & Suites Houston Conroe Near The WoodlandsR

Been to Sunset Harbor Resort? Share your experiences!