“Seen bettter days”
Review of Canyon Sunrise

Canyon Sunrise
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wimberley
Canyon Sunrise
Houston
“Seen bettter days”
Reviewed 30 November 2011

This group of three cabins is advertised as upscale and luxury and I agree to a point, but I would also have to say that's an exaggeration because it's showing its age. The main benefit of the site is the privacy of the cabins and the above ground pool for each. This the second time we visited Sunrise cabins. The first time was two years ago and we stayed at the Sundance, which was fairly nice at the time, however it was not that clean as we would expect with dust on a lot of the furnishings. Even then the property was at an early stage of disrepair. The second time a few weeks ago we stayed at the Mariposa and the deterioration was a lot more noticeable with worn out decks (nails sticking up), building materials and junk piled around, a moldy shower, and a dirty hot tub. Some improvements were made, such as a new outdoor patio area. While we enjoyed the privacy, we feel the poor upkeep of the property now does not justify the high rental fees charged. We'll find a new place in the future.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Icemanlaa

Families
Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Katy, Texas
Reviewed 16 September 2011

We stayed at the Dragonfly for 3 nights.Very private and romantic.The pool and hottub are very nice as well as private so you can swim however you like.Pleasant music greeted us upon arrival and the cabin was very rustic and Texan looking.The bathroom was nice with a huge bathtub built for 2 with the shower head coming out from the ceiling.It is in the woods and it is a cabin which is what we wanted,so don't expect a 5 star hotel!!! But if you want to reconnect your marriage in a very private and romantic setting this is it.We are already planning our next trip.

Room Tip: I would recomend the Dragonfly
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Robbie B
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 14 July 2011

We stayed here for a mini honeymoon right after our wedding and wish we'd booked a whole week. We stayed at the Mariposa cabin and loved, loved, loved it. The reservation team is a turn off and we wish the owners would go with another company, but other than that, our review is glowing. The lights were on with soft music playing when we arrived, the kitchen was furnished with the necessities such as dishes, coffee, etc. The bed was very comfortable, the pool was wonderfully private, and the view from the hot tub on the back patio was stunning with wildlife all around. We would highly recommend this place and are already saving up to go back for our first anniversary.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 2 September 2010

I was skeptical about stay at one of these houses since there are so few reviews and information about this place. I went ahead and booked it anyway, and it turned out OK. I will just give you a quick run down of my experience and give you my thoughts.

The communication from the lodging place could be a lot better. They are not very helpful in terms of finding things to do in town or helping out with recommendations to certain places or events. My personal opinion is if you want people to stay out there, be accommodating and helpful.

The directions to the house were not great, but we did manage to find it. There are three houses on the property and they are spread out nicely and you do get a lot of privacy. They could do quite a bit in terms of cleaning up the property. There are building materials and landscaping equipment lying around everywhere. The pool was clean and private, and my wife and I enjoyed it in the heat of the summer.

The house itself was cute. We stayed in the Sundance. It was clean and comfortable. The porch and and deck could use some work and the grill was not usable, so the food we brought with us to cook was pointless. We had to keep getting ice from the local store to keep our food from spoiling because we had to keep it in our ice chest. The dorm-fridge that is in the house worked, but the freezer part was so frozen over that we could hardly fit anything in it. The items that we were able to fit in there got ruined when the freezer part melted in the middle of the night all over our food.

The biggest thing that bothered me was the bed. The mattress has seen better days and needs to be replaced. I just sunk into a deep hole when I went to lay on it. Also, there was a gross looking stain of some kind on the comforter and the sheets smelled sour. Everything else in the house I felt was fine, but the bed really bothered me and my wife. It was just kind of gross.

The leather couch in the house is worn but comfortable and the TV is in horrible shape. Granted, we were not out there to watch TV, and I am not expecting a 42" plasma, but the 19" tube that's image was mostly all green in color should be updated a bit. One night I was not feeling well and we decided to stay in and watch a movie. It would have been nice to be able to do that.

The town of Wimberley is nice. There was a great Italian restaurant there called Marco's. We ate there twice it was so good! We bought wine from a local wine shop there that had a lot of local wines (free tastings!). The shops and the live music were all enjoyable as well.

Overall we did enjoy our stay. I loved the privacy of the house vs staying in a B&B or a hotel. I would possibly stay there again, but I would consider looking around a little more next time. As long as you dont expect a 5 star accommodation, and look at more like staying at a friends house, then I think you can enjoy it.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2010

Well for starters the people doing the reservations are not helpful it took six days to get a confirmation number, they were going to send me an email with some prices never got it I called them to verify my room service order and they never called me back to confirm my order when I got there all they said was the directions are in the envelope they could have been more helpful they could have recommended a restaurant or given some info on the town. When we got to the cabin my wife was scared because the place needed a lot of work grass needed to be mowed trees needed to be trimed broken patio decorations dead plants. The inside of the cabin was really nice exactly like the pics or even better the restroom was also nice despite what someone said about it they said it was small and ugly not true it was nice( sundance) Remember what I said about calling to verify my order well it was wrong I did not get the right color of roses how hard is it to get red roses if they were out of red roses they should have called and I would have decided if I wanted them or not I felt cheated it seems they are just intrested in making a sale and not worried about what the customer wants. The back yard also needed attention there was a wheel barrel with some dead grass by the steps that lead to the pool an old cover to the hot tub also by the deck. Had a great time at the pool that night despite everything else I really wanted this to be special since I hadn't had any alone time with my wife in 4 years. Go in for the night and the bed was comfortable the only problem no curtains on the front door nor on the kitchen window. Next morning we were in the pool when we saw someone drive up. We got out went to town and realized when we came back that the person we saw was mowing the grass the little space that he was done looked nice I told my wife they should have done this before we got here needless to say our privacy was ruined we ended up leaving that same day really felt cheated I paid for two romantic nights and only got one it's really sad that they don't take care of this place it is nice and cozy but the outside needs work and the people running the place are terrible the owner needs to get involved with the customers and not this agency

• Stayed August 2010
1 Thank Mad729
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 6 June 2010

We are so lad to have found this hill country gem. After a wedding, all you want to do is relax and enjoy your mate. Canyon Sunrise did just this. We stayed in the Sundance cottage, which provided all the privacy we needed, great relaxation with a hot tub, pool, king size bed, and more. Our views were amazing and we got to see some wildlife too. This is the perfect place! It was clean when we arrived, and they even had music playing for us when we walked in. There is also a journal of entries from past guests that is really fun to read. If you're trying to find the perfect getaway in Texas Hill Country, Canyon Sunrise is it.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Houston, TX
Reviewed 13 April 2010

My husband and I were married along the banks of the Blanco early April and I randomly found this place for our wedding escape route once we tired of the festivities. My google search totally paid off!

We stayed at the Dragonfly and it was fantastic. All of the photos on the site don't do justice to the details. This particular cabin spoke to me because it came with a private pool, hottub, bathtub built for two, and a hammock. The hammock clinched it for me since my new hubby has made it his life mission to collect one from every country south of the border. But, I digress, the kitchen is truly fully stocked with most anything you need to cook a great meal...not that I did that but it also had a wine bottle opener to suit my needs.

There is a little path that leads you through parts of the property that was covered in wild flowers this time of year. It was a very Sound of Music gorgeous hill top moment for me. I took care not to walk up on your neighbors as that might ruin the desired mood of privacy.

I would agree with the other reviewer that the company managing this place is a little ditzy. They made a few mistakes, but were very nice and corrected problems quickly.

Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wimberley
Sleep Inn & Suites Dripping Springs
Sleep Inn & Suites Dripping Spri...
#1 of 2 in Dripping Springs
Creekhaven Inn
Creekhaven Inn
#5 of 19 in Wimberley
BellaVida Bed and Breakfast Retreat Center

Been to Canyon Sunrise? Share your experiences!