“Rural Retreat”

Serenity Farmhouse Inn
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Several deer were grazing on the lawn as we entered the property. Dozens of rescued cats wander the grounds and some rescued pot belly pigs and jackasses were resting in their stalls. The hostess was friendly and helpful and oriented us to our room. We were greeted with 3 small bottles of wine and chocolates. Our room was Gabriella's Garden Hut, which had a spacious kitchen and sitting area with a fireplace, a separate bedroom with a queen-sized 4-poster bed (and a daybed in the sitting room for our 3rd guest) and a large bathroom with a tub and shower. The bathroom did not have a door, which was a bit uncomfortable at times and the glass-walled shower was exposed to the hallway. We took breakfast on a lovely patio off the kitchen; breakfast was served at 9:30 a.m. - a bit late for starting the day. We had scrambled eggs each of the 3 mornings of our stay. Pastries were served from a local bakery. Gluten-free bread was provided upon request. We left early the last day - a very nice breakfast basket was prepared for us. Wifi was supposed to be available in the room but was not working; we accessed it from the office.
The location is 20 minutes from the small town of Wimberly, in which we enjoyed the local artisan shops and the Blue Hole - a lovely state park where people were sunbathing and swimming. Inasmuch as the B&B was about 1 1/2 hr from Austin, we decided to explore other local towns. We found Gruene a charming town and Fredricksburg a bit more commercial.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank lantana50

Reviewed 13 August 2013

My girlfriend and I spent this weekend at the White Willow cottage. Our visit and stay was truly perfect and I never throw that word around lightly. Our time at the Farmhouse Inn was truly magical. It was our 3 month anniversary on 8-9-13 and my girlfriend's birthday on 8-11-13. After having stayed there I cannot imagine anywhere that would have been more special or perfect. The moment we drove into the beautiful grounds we found that the landscaping was flawless. We were then personally greeted by name when we pulled up and we had barely even stepped out of our car yet. We were then personally walked to our cottage and were shown around. The cottage was spotless and beautiful. We were blown away by the incredible breakfast that was served directly to our doorstep exactly on time both mornings we were there. The spread was amazing and fresh and the quality and flavor of the food was top-notch. Both days we were greeted personally by the owner after we finished the breakfast to ensure we were satisfied Other staff members also checked on us to ensure our satisfaction. We also enjoyed a beautiful sunset in the perfectly maintained pool across from our cottage. We also stayed in long enough to enjoy a moonlit night. All I can say about this stay and it is so inadequate is.... WOW!! I did not tell my girlfriend we were going here as it was a surprise. We drove 4+ hours from Fort Worth, TX. I was hopeful that it would be nice but it exceeded my expectations by leaps and bounds and was worth every hour driven. Thank you so much for the incredible weekend. We will not ever forget our experience and intend to come back as often as possible.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sirknightday
Reviewed 16 July 2013

I was a little wary after reading some of the reviews but we had an absolutely wonderful stay. We just returned today after 2 nights in Wild Rosie. The room was pretty, clean and comfy and the welcome basket with bread, cheese, wine, fruit and apple pastry was so perfect. Loved the tub, bath salts and rose soap petals! It didn't have a shower but hubby had no issue using a cup to rinse his hair and I loved the heart shaped tub.
Breakfast was delivered promptly at 9:30 with wonderful eggs, biscuits, muffins, fruit and juice, there was plenty for hubby and I. We enjoyed sitting out on the porch and watching the deer, cats birds and dogs. It was very quiet and peaceful, a great place to curl up for a good read.
The local restaurants were yummy and we loved the local wine tours. Lots to do in the area, no boredom here if you love nature!
We are looking at dates for another visit in September, highly enjoyable!

Room Tip: Loved Wild Rosie's but all looked very nice!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sandyrmac
Reviewed 16 July 2013

I first stayed here over the Thanksgiving Holiday. I wanted a quiet and peaceful place to relax after visiting relatives in nearby Austin. I loved this place. It was perfect for me... and I could only imagine how romantic it would be to be here with a partner, or just bringing my best friend (as she likes a peaceful environment to sit and read... as much as I like exploring and taking pictures). My room was above the main house and had a wonderous heart shaped tub (later to find out that all the cottages did), a fireplace, and a small kitchenette, with what I called the pink room attached-with plenty of space for a family. I didn't take a picture of my bed area, which was an old fashioned bed that did set high, and I liked it since I am tall.... but I did picture from the view of the bed (where I sat and read a lot). I added pictures of some other cottages as I was able to tour between people arriving. I also downloaded a few pictures from the property. A beautiful setting for a wedding, which I understand they do a lot of. I love staying at bed and breakfasts... and in reading other's reviews about the breakfast, it is simple and basic... but since I don't really eat breakfast it was perfect for me (and I wasn't there for the food). I liked having the kitchenette to bring home left-overs from local restaurants for dinner. This location is located near the quant artist town of Wimberley, about 40 minutes from Austin. While I was there it rained a little and snowed a little, which sounded lovely on the roof. There are T.V.'s in the rooms, but I don't watch when I am on vacation, as I am there to get away from everything. The animals were fun to visit and the Innkeeper and Owner, Sherry, informed me that most of her animals were rescued (which I support wholeheartedly). There are also cats and dogs on the property. Sherry also gives the most amazing massages... she is good. They do have a pool, but at that time of the year I was there, it was too cold. I imagine it is wonderful during the summer. I highly recommend this place if you are looking for a quant and quiet escape. In fact, I just called them yesterday to find out about availability for the Christmas Holiday this year. If you go and get a room with a small refrigerator, then just bring your own snacks/drinks.. a few good books to read and a camera to take some pictures as you explore the beautiful grounds.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a small refrigerator to put snacks and cold drinks in. All the rooms have a diff...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Room was a mess. Very dirty! There is no shower in the room!! The room came with a heart shaped tub in the middle of the room! The tub looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years. It was covered in a film from previous guests. There was no sort of shower attachment or way to rinse soap of your hair. Not a very relaxing weekend when you can't shower all weekend. The furniture was stained and rusted. Everything was in need of repair. Service was awful. Would never ever ever return or recommend this place to anyone. Worst place to stay!

Room Tip: Avoid the heart shaped tub room
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank lanikai18
Reviewed 27 May 2013

My review is about my wedding at Serenity Farmhouse Inn. Last year we booked a wedding at Serenity and paid well in advance and signed a contract. Day of the wedding, I could not believe how many things went wrong. So many things we were promised in our contract were not provided for our wedding. Firstly, we ordered a cake with a lemon filling, the cake had zero filling, just super sweet icing. We threw the rest away. The champagne fountain shorted out and they poured orange juice for mimosas from plastic pitchers instead of nice beverage containers. Most of the food was served from chafing dishes that apparently had no Sterno fuel in them because all my guests mentioned the food being cold. The tiny chocolate fountain they used froze (Because it was for indoor use only) and we were promised it would be set up in our suite later that night, it was then offered to us unassembled to take home. I have a good choc fountain at home, I don't need some $30 one. One of the heaters we were told we had to rent for $150 broke and they moved it to the side so my uncle had to fix it down on his knees in his suit. There were supposed to be decorations and rose petals down the aisle and on the tables, the only ones used were the ones I provided. The fresh fruits we wanted with the chocolate fountain was mostly fruit not in season and rotten bananas. Who puts bananas on a fruit tray? We did not receive the Iced Tea, mints, and nuts we were promised at the wedding. We were not given chocolate covered strawberries or rose petals for the tub in our suite. There was no curtain for me( the bride) to get ready without people coming in to our suite and seeing me.

We were offered a refund and accepted it, however, I will be much more cautious in the future when entering into any contract. I just wish a little more attention to detail was given on my most special day. A little more emails or phone calls to keep in touch with me before the wedding so everything could have gone smoother. I will say for the B&B that it is a beautiful property, neat animals to feed, the most amazing breakfasts, and adorable suites and cottages.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank Christina B
Reviewed 9 January 2013

We did not find this B&B user friendly for the older traveler. Our "cottage" had no shower, though the jacuzzi had great water pressure, but cumbersome to get in and out of. The bed was too high for either of us to managed without a stool, with only one available it was difficult to deal with. Not all of the wooden blinds functioned, so it was necessary to close each slat by hand. In fairness, we did not complain as some of the issues would not impact younger folks.
The young man who welcomed us was very helpful and courteous.
The breakfast arrived on time and was beautifully presented and tasty.
We enjoyed the many cats on the property, but anyone not a feline lover might find their presence annoying. I have to add that the practice of breakfast trays being placed on the porch to be picked up, might better be replaced by an inroom pick up to avoid the cats eating off the lovely antique china.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Michele D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wimberley
7A Resort
#3 of 6 in Canyon Lake
Mountain View Lodge
Mountain View Lodge
#5 of 19 in Wimberley

Been to Serenity Farmhouse Inn? Share your experiences!