“A Pleasant Surprise”

Dining options: Waitstaff
Houston, Texas
“A Pleasant Surprise”
Reviewed 4 May 2012

Wow, I am really glad I didn't read some of the negative reviews of this place before we decided to eat here. We were returning from a visit to Louisiana and decided to stop to eat. We had already passed Beaumont, so we weren't expecting too much to choose from. We had driven almost to the end of town and were about to turn around and go back to one of the usual chains when we spotted Papa's Place and decided to give it a try. They were advertising all you can eat crawfish, but we had just had crawfish the day before so we both ordered the ribeye. The steaks were some of the tenderest and juiciest we have ever eaten. They were both slightly overcooked--my medium rare order was more like a medium, and my husband's medium was about medium well--but it was so good otherwise that it didn't matter much. The onion rings I got as one of my sides were fantastic; perfect, crispy batter, and thick, fresh-tasting onion slices. The green beans were overcooked and over seasoned, but I had plenty to eat anyway. When the waitress brought out check, I thought there was an error in one of the items, and that we had been undercharged. Our waitress said that it was steak night--buy one, get the second for half price. I would have been perfectly satisfied at full price, so this was a bonus. The service was just about right, not too pushy and not too slow. Dining choices are somewhat limited along I-10 between Beaumont and Houston, so we will definitely keep this place in mind on future trips.

• Visited April 2012

Austin, Texas
“Uneven service, average food”
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Our group of 8 was seated at back-to-back booths and each booth had a different waitress. One booth was done eating before the other one even got served. We suspect they lost the ticket, but no explanation ever was given. The food was average. If you're not in the mood for fried, try some place else.

Visited April 2012
winnie
“Hometown Disappointment”
Reviewed 20 April 2012

I live near Winnie and was really excited when Papa's Place opened. Not so much anymore. I have never had good service there and my food has always been undercooked or the wrong thing altogether. This place has a lot of potential, but in order to reach that potential they need to hire people who actually care about the customer.

• Visited February 2012
Bridge City
“Terrible! Rude manager, lousey food. Dont eat here.”
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We ordered all you can eat crawfish for two, which tasted good but were overcooked. We struggled with them only able to get the tail out in one piece with about 1 or 2 out of every 10. We also was unable to drink the draft beer brought to us due to it being flat and tasting terrible. I was willing to pay for what we ate and all of the pitcher (which we did not drink). After eating only about four pounds between the two of us I told the waitress that we would pay for what we'd eaten but did not want anymore. I explained that the crawfish cannot be peeled in a way that permits the tail to come out in one piece. She went and got the manager who was a lady in a tank top, shorts and a bandana on her head (Really??????? This is how a manager of a restaurant dresses). When we explained the issue with the crawfish she reached into my platter, picked one up and shelled it perfectly, held if in front of my face, looked at me like I was stupid and then threw it back into my platter. (my wife later told me she seen her in the restroom and had left the restroom in front of her without washing her hands). So here's my review in full... restaurant was full of flies, beer was flat, manager uses bathroom without washing her hands then comes and puts her hands in my platter, manager rude and unprofessional. The damage for about 2 pounds of crawfish each, a few sips of flat beer was $37.00. We had a great experience at this place back in 2010 and was looking forward to another. But NEVER going back here again.

• Visited April 2012
Houston
“great food but not such great service”
Reviewed 29 January 2012

we ate dinner there last thursday night, 1/26. cute restaurant... we ordered two different entrees -- cheese pizza (excellent) and brisket plate with salad and baked potato.

Wish that the bbq sauce was warm....but they put it on the meat "cold"

Service wasn't that great and it wasn't even crowded.

Very reasonable prices.

We might go back 'cause of the food but maybe not 'cause of the service.

Visited January 2012