“Okay stay. Must be remodeling”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Waco South
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Woodway
Georgia
“Okay stay. Must be remodeling”
Reviewed 22 January 2009

All I have to say about this place is they must be remodeling it (again). There were construction workers through the lobby, stairs, and elevators the whole day and night. Thankfully I sleep well, but I didn't hear any actual construction "after hours".

This is a slightly dated location, but it's clean, quiet, and in a good location for most travelers. There is a mall and enough places to eat near this location so it is a good place to stay.

My only issue was internet speed. The wi-fi seemed slow, but manageable.

I had stayed here while visiting the area two years ago and it was good then too.

If you want a little chuckle for yourself, and if they don't replace the sign...check out the pool hours for adults. If you really think about it you'll chuckle.

Front desk staff was very friendly upon check in and while coming and going during the day. Even remembered me when checking out and wished me a good day and safe travels. I appreciate that effort and those well wishes.

• Disliked — Might be a little difficult to find if not watching where the driveway is
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
San Antonio
Reviewed 21 September 2008

We go to Waco 1-2 times per year to visit my parents, and we always stay at this hotel. There were a few issues that needed to be resolved. The first room had apparently been the victim of a smoker who violated the no-smoking policy - for 2 weeks without allowing room service entry; there were no sheets for the pull-out couch/bed; the coffee service had been torn open before we checked in; and we always need extra towels (3 kids, go figure!).

We got into the first room & my wife immediately said it smelled of cigarette smoke (I only thought it smelled a bit "musty" & that it would go away when the A/C got turned on). When I went back to the front desk & mentioned that the room had a smell, she (night desk clerk) asked me without looking if it was room ### (I forget the room #, 2nd floor). I said "yes" & she immediately moved us down the hall to a more pristine room, and she explained what had happened & how they had deep-cleaned everything in the room multiple times but had been unable to get it to smell any better. She also explained that they were due for a major remodel & expected that full replacement of all fabric surfaces (couches & chairs, carpets & drapes, shower curtain, etc.) and all porous furniture (chairs, desks, tables, etc.), and the appliances (microwave, coffee machine, mini-fridge, etc.) would result in a room that was free of any evidence of a smoking guest. She also explained that they had well charged the smoking guest's credit card. She was very nice and took care of the issue immediately.

When we got to the 2nd room, we immediately pulled out the sofa to make the bed and failed to find any sheets in the room. I still had to go back down to return the luggage cart, so I mentioned to her (night desk clerk) that we needed the sheets. She immediately brought up a full set of sheets & even made the bed (without us asking) before she left.

By that time, I had checked the coffee (I drink it every morning and always make sure I've got the high-octane stuff there), and I had noticed that the corner had been torn open. I mentioned this to her and the need for extra towels, and she came right back with that plus extra coffee service for the remaining 3 nights of our stay.

After that, the remainder of our stay was flawless. They managed to keep the complimentary breakfast fully stocked, and even allowed us to take extra cereal (with spoons & bowls, etc.) one night (the night clerk unlocked the cabinet & let us have our pick) so that the twins (age 2 1/2) would be able to have a light snack (they didn't eat dinner) before bed. And, room service did a good job of cleaning the room and restocking the extra towels (per the note we left each morning on the bathroom counter).

This is definitely our "hotel of choice" for visits to Waco. I can't wait till the first visit to my parents after they renovate the facilities (it's not bad now, but it'll be "new" again then).

• Liked — Location & consistency of customer service.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
Dallas
Reviewed 20 March 2008

Fairfield Inn South was a great choice. We were staying only one night but looking for value for money. The hotel was very clean, spacious and the staff very helpful. The breakfast was excellent - so much choice! Well worth the $85 for 2 queen bed room. Pool was warm and well maintained. My kids loved it, Would have enjoyed staying a second night if our schedule had permitted.

• Liked — spacious and clean
  • Disliked — a fridge would have been useful
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
Wichita Falls, TX
Reviewed 3 November 2006

I am a recruiter for a Texas state university, so I travel overnight quite often. I have never received poor service at any Marriott property until this one. Upon arrival, I was treated shabbily by the manager because she claimed that working for a State of Texas university was not considered "government" and therefore would not honor the government rate I had received when booking online. She said that only "Postal Workers" are government employees even though my paycheck has the State of Texas government seal on it and I have an ID depicting that I am a State of Texas government employee. She was extremely rude and treated me as if I was a criminal. I went ahead and stayed that night there but immediately left the next morning and stayed the next night at a Hilton property. They were so nice and could not believe how badly I was treated at Fairfield Inn. The room at Fairfield was also not as nice as other Fairfields I've stayed at and the toilet overflowed the morning I was leaving. The location of the property is pretty good though. Marriott did make good on the rate discrepancy after I returned home and contacted them about the problem. They also had the manager email me an apology. I still warn anyone though that is staying here on a special rate to watch out for this manager and don't let her treat you poorly and try to tell you that you don't qualify for a special rate if you have credentials that say you do.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Poor Service, Poor Management, Poor Customer Service
  • Tips/Secrets — Stand firm if you are denied a special rate that you have credentials to receive
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled on business
2 Thank Jarle1989
Plainview, TX
Reviewed 12 September 2005

Very clean and well run hotel. Nice large rooms. Usual Fairfield pool and hot tub. Close to mall and restaurants. We stayed here for a wedding and it was in just as good a shape as it was when we stayed here in 1996 for another wedding. That's not something I can say about any other hotel I've satyed in!

• Stayed February 2005
2 Thank LisaKa
New Jersey
Reviewed 8 May 2005

The Fairfield Inn is a well-run chain hotel that would be a good choice for those seeking moderate lodging in the Woodway area south of Waco. It's located at the intersection of Highway 84 (Waco Drive and McGregor Highway) and Highway 6, which is south of Waco, and quite a bit south of Baylor University. It's a good 10-15 minutes to Baylor, for example, so it would not be the best choice if that's your reason for being in Waco. It's 5-7 minutes off of I-35 so it's not the most convenient as a quick stop if you're just passing through. (On the other hand, if you have business with President Bush, it's quite convenient to Crawford). The hotel is just what you would expect from the Fairfield brand -- more modest lodging that provides everything you need but w/out a lot of frills. I was impressed that they have wireless Internet (free) and when I told the front desk that my laptop was not equipped for wireless, they provided me with a bridge that after some starts and stops I got to working just fine. The free breakfast was quite well done. It was well-stocked and well-presented, including waffles, good fruit, cereal, usual breads, and so forth. The rooms are standard, but clean and with the usual amenities. Although Waco hotels in general are cheap for those used to staying in big cities, the $60 I paid was quite a bargain. All in all, a reasonable choice if the location and general positioning as a mid-level, modest business/traveler hotel fits your needs.

• Stayed May 2005
4 Thank newjerseyreporter
London, UK
Reviewed 28 April 2005

Just a short review here; we stayed in the Fairfield Inn for just one night, arriving late and leaving early the next morning.

The hotel is fine; it's one of the standard semi-automated types where you have one check-in clerk / manager, and then have everything you need in the room; targetted at people stopping overnight on a through journey or businesspeople needing a budget 'apartment hotel'. If you're looking for somewhere with character, friendliness, or for sightseeing, don't consider staying at one of these.

Situation is ideal for driving; one junction down a highway from the I-35, although the area is pretty desolate. They have a room service scheme, provided by a local 'room service' company that delivers a standard menu to local budget hotels, but that was closed; we ended up going round the corner to a dodgy Pizza Hut.

Anyway; we had a good night's rest, and that's what these places are for. Facilities seem to be limited to a small indoor pool with 2-person spa pool - modern design, really for the kids or for relaxing.

• Stayed April 2005
2 Thank damoske
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodway
Best Western Plus Woodway Waco South Inn & Suites
La Quinta Inn & Suites Woodway - Waco South
Home2 Suites by Hilton Waco
SpringHill Suites Waco Woodway
Candlewood Suites Waco
Comfort Suites Waco North

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Waco South? Share your experiences!