“Terrible situation with no solution.”

Extended Stay America - Waco - Woodway
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Woodway
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Made my reservation 5 weeks ahead of time of me arriving in Waco. I was supposed to stay at the Extended Stay for my entire time of my contract (3 months), so I wanted to make sure it was all set for my arrival. Upon arrival on Sunday 8/10, I was given a smoking room even though it was stated on my reservation that I wanted a non-smoking room. The entire third floor and my room smelled of musty cigarette smoke. The counter of the kitchen, the drawers in the kitchen and the window sill were covered in dirt/dust needing cleaning. I went to the desk that night and talked with the front desk worker that my reservation was incorrect since I was in the smoking room. He said that there were no openings, but they might be able to move me in a week then have to move me again a week later to accommodate me, and their other reservations. Even at this point, I was cooperative and said that would be fine. I stopped in on Tuesday for an update on this and was told I could be moved (by different staff) the next day (wednesday). I packed my belongings that night and went to the desk on Wednesday to process the move, and the manager told me there were no openings and there was nothing they could do. I told him that I would definitely be leaving once I found other arrangements. After finding another place, I told a desk worker and the manager that I was moving out Friday after work. I received a phone call on Friday that they could move me if I stayed until next Wednesday. Seemingly just trying to get me to stay in the hotel longer with more miscommunication and disorganization. The entire operation seemed to be run on sticky notes on the desk and no one actually knew what was going on at any point of my stay. From being in that room for 5 days, all of my belongings now smell like cigarette smoke, and I had to move twice while adjusting to a new job in a new city. I have told every person I know to never stay at an Extended Stay America because of how poor of an experience I had at your Waco location. Being a traveling medical professional, I was hoping that this would be a positive experience for me, having a convenient place to stay nation-wide, but I know that I will never stay in an Extended Stay America again in my travels.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank BSheeha9

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Reservation was messed up.
Front desk team in dread-locks, smell/wreak of cigarettes, long sloppy hair, un-professional in all ways.
Handcuffs on one of the bedposts when we got into the room (my son saw them and had questions?)
Terrible conditions of the place.
Grab and Go was more like a look and cry
No other amenities to remedy the terrible conditions.
I have stayed in many places before, including a Howard Johnson in South Houston near NASA - and for the $58 per night there - we felt safer, and it was moderately cleaner. At least that place offered a pool and lounge area if you got ill of being in the room all the time.
This place is definitely not worth the price paid EVER.
If I could post photos of the stay - I would. I would not recommend SATAN staying here. Actually, I think he might have in Room 227 - the music and partying and screaming 'yes' 'yes' at all hours of the night probably proved that.

Room Tip: Fairfield Inn is next door. Holiday Inn is across the highway. STAY AT THOSE>
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank actex
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We reserved a queen size bed and instead were given room with 2 full size beds. (Worn out cheap mattresses) Neither bed had top sheet, and had ragged, scratchy blanket for cover. Also, the bath tub surround was covered in black mildew. Since we arrived after midnight and were told the hotel was essentially sold out, there was no point in going to front desk to report the horrible conditions. We did cancel our reservation for 2nd night and checked out early the next morning as soon as we possibly could. Last time we stayed here the room was around $50/night, this stay was $80. You can overlook more at the $50/night price point. I know the hotel aims to be bare necessities only, but this was beyond that. Never again.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank WoodwayVisitors
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I am in the process of moving to Waco and you can really score on this place as an express deal on Priceline (like seriously - "Waco south" as an express deal) it is in Woodway, which is the nicest part of the city. They build 3 hotels side by side on highway 84 and they are almost identical structures -- two other name brands and this one. My first stay was a 2 star one on the third floor--that cigarette smoke thing other complain about and it took a day to air out the room. if that happens to you go back down and ask for a second floor room -- 204 for example -- seems to be a non smoking floor. I was just in 204 and it was perfect. They provide things for you if you need them -- a whole bag of goodies like mouthwash or razors, toothpaste -- just ask. Kitchen is fully stocked with utensils and dishes for two. They have a free little cookbook with recipe ideas. Tubs. Good showers. coffeemaker, free coffee, grab and go breakfast, which is coffee oatmeal, apples, oranges, muffins and power bars. Its a good place; clean and friendly. Free internet. The whole idea of an extended stay, however, is they don't do maid service often--you make your own bed and so on. But every room has been clean when I moved in. I like it there.

Room Tip: Most are good -- ask for a change if you don't like your draw - there are over 100 rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 March 2014

When I arrived, the hallway reeked of cigarette smoke as I went to my non-smoking room. Upon entering, there was a dirty water glass full of water in the kitchen sink, trash in the bathroom waste basket, and toothpaste splatters all over the bathroom mirror. Other than fresh towels and one bar of soap, the unit did not appear to have been cleaned. I called the clerk who called the housekeeper from home: she came in and cleaned only those three things. After going out to dinner, I discovered even more issues: the bathtub was full of dark pubic hair, and there was a long (about 9") hair between the fitted and flat sheets. When I called the clerk, she said that I could come get another bar of soap and offered no solution to the bathtub. Had I known the area, not been so tired, and had felt safer, I would have changed hotels. Also, I had pre-paid for 3 nights through Booking.com.
I awoke the next morning to fresh cigarette smoke from nearby rooms. My clothes reeked even though I was in a non-smoking room. After being in training for 11 hrs., I again was too tired and did not feel safe changing hotels at night. The second night, there was a party across the hall with many young people coming in and out slamming the door every few seconds for about 45 minutes before I called the clerk for the third time. It then did stop. Also, there was a barking dog in a room nearby. I slept (very little) with pepper spray by my head. I checked out a night early even though I had pre-paid through Booking.com and moved to a nearby hotel. I will never, ever stay at an Extended Stay America or use Booking.com again. This was a nightmare experience.

Room Tip: I do not believe there is a good room in this hotel: it's nasty.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
7  Thank 45Sandi
Reviewed 25 February 2014

The hallways and room smelled strongly of cigarette smoke. Our room was filthy and in need of paint. The bathroom walls were streaked with yellow. The internet access was slow and spotty. The hotel staff was friendly but couldn't seem to resolve the problem of our neighbor's alarm clock going off at 0500 EVERY morning and never shutting off. Will NOT be staying here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Dale M
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Sad to say that my room I reserved was not clean, so my only option was a smoking room. First of all, this hotel has non-smoking and smoking rooms on the same floor, so the whole floor halway stunk. The front desk was nice enough to lend me a large bottle of Fabreeze, but it didn't help at all. Luckily the room had a window I was able to open and I kept it open the entire three days I was there. Thank goodness I was gone 90% of the time. The room was never dusted or vacuumed. I have never been so disgusted in my life and I have stayed at many Motel 6's and Knights Inn. One saving grace was the bed linens and towels were fresh. I see there are some good reviews for this hotel and maybe the non-smoking room would have been nice, but all I have to say is NEVER accept a smoking room as a replacement!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kristi G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodway
Fairfield Inn & Suites Waco South
Best Western Plus Woodway Waco South Inn & Suites
Homewood Suites by Hilton Waco, Texas
TownePlace Suites Waco South
La Quinta Inn & Suites Woodway - Waco South
SpringHill Suites by Marriott Waco Woodway

Been to Extended Stay America - Waco - Woodway? Share your experiences!