“Really, a suite?”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Woodway
texas
“Really, a suite?”
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Clean hotel, good service, typical Holiday Inn Breakfast. Would be 5 stars but I paid for a suite and got a typical room with a "wet bar" that consisted of an empty fridge and sink. How is that a suite and why is that worth extra money? Next time I'll save my money and get a standard room. Also a tip; ask for a room in the back of the hotel away from the road noise.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Thomas L, Manager at Best Western Plus Woodway Waco South Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Thanks for your feedback regarding your stay. I'm glad that you were happy with the cleanliness and service at the hotel. For a short stay you might have been satisfied with one of our standard rooms, however many of our business travelers on longer stays appreciate the larger room with walk in closet and in room safe, as well as the prep area and sink (wet bar) as it is outside of the bathroom and allows them a hygienic place to keep their food and drinks. Thanks for staying with us, I hope in the future you may want to check out one of our two room suites for even more space and added comfort.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 21 February 2013

I knew we were in trouble when we slept in a little longer than planned. My wife was still getting ready when I arrived at the breakfast room with about twenty minutes to go before the end of breakfast. Hotels with free breakfast deals are usually good if you eat before 7AM, but if you wait it can be spotty. I get that. But most other free breakfast hotels I have stayed at have a person maintaining the area who at least tries to keep up with sleepyhead rush at the end of breakfast. Such was not the case here. Upon arrival there were two of their famous cinnamon rolls left.

There were a few egg and cheese omelets left, but the pancake machine was dry, the trash cans were over full and worst of all they were out of regular coffee. Some of the continental breakfast items were also gone and I got one of the last yogurts. The attendant came out and wiped the counter once, and brought some extra creamer (but no coffee)

By the time my wife came down there was very little left to eat.(fortunately I scraped together a plate for her before it was all gone) I kept thinking the attendant was in the back preparing something, but she really didn't come out with much. Several people who arrived after us found very little of the staples left to eat and left disappointed.

Once the time passed the top of the hour and breakfast ended, the attendant was a flurry of activity and pulled down what little was left in lightning speed.

That experience soured was was otherwise a very good visit - the room was very nice and clean, as were the common areas. The pool was nice although I didn't use it, and I appreciated the free Waco Tribune at the front desk. We also got a nice welcome gift as Priority club members. We have stayed at this hotel several times before but left disappointed this time due to the breakfast situation which was not up to Holiday Inn standards at all.

The good news was that we found a great breakfast restaurant downtown where we went for coffee after checking out. If I come back I'll be sure to get down to breakfast early or plan to eat out.

Room Tip: We had a room facing the road and it was not noisy, so you should be good in any room.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Moved2Texas
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Woodway Waco South Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 6 March 2013
Dear Moved2Texas,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. I am pleased that you did not encounter any issues with check in and for appreciating the cleanliness of our rooms. I am truly sorry to hear that the food served during your travel did not live up to your expectations. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
Bartlesville, Oklahoma
Reviewed 9 January 2013 via mobile

We were on our way back to Oklahoma after a few nights in Port Aransas. This hotel is conveniently located. There are several nice restaurants within a two mile drive. Our room was clean with a comfortable bed. The breakfast was good, with the normal HIE choices. As a Priority Club member, check-in and check-out were very fast. We will definitely stop here again.

Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank JoefromOklahoma
East Texas
Reviewed 20 December 2012

Typical experience at a HIE. This property is nicely decorated and well maintained. There were no disturbing smells, stains, tears, etc. Everything in the room was top notch. The breakfast was well stocked and fresh with lots of variety (omelettes, sausage gravy, pancakes, pastries, cereals, etc.). Nicely done all the way around. Next Waco visit...I'll be here.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank EastTexasGMan
George West, Texas
Reviewed 19 October 2012

Parents week-end at Baylor University makes finding a room problematic in the Waco area. I did not early book because of medical circumstances.When I was able to make a plan, I could only obtain a room by booking for two nights and the only room available was a two room suite. It was pricey. However, when I looked at the rates on the room door the posted cost for one person was 199.00. I was charged $265.00 each night of my stay. My husband had died 17 days earlier. I asked for smaller accomodations for Friday night explaining that my daughter, son-in-law and two young grandchildren would not arrive until Saturday afternoon and I was alone for Friday night.. No rooms were said to be available. , which I understood. However, I could not understand why the Manager was unyielding in allowing me the one person rate for Friday night and charging me above the posted rate for both nights.The highest posted rate was 259.00 They made their money from my Friday night stay to be sure. One widow, one bed, one towel , no maid service on Saturday morning and a breakfast of Rasin Bran, coffee and juice.
I know it's business; but, to this lone traveler it felt like price gouging at a very personal level when fees did NOT reflect those posted on the hotel room door. Don't expect empathy from the managment or a fair deal. I will not stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank crickettiley
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Woodway Waco South Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 31 October 2012
Dear crickettiley,

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Janice A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Branchburg, New Jersey
Reviewed 6 September 2012

I travel to Waco once a month and when I cant get into the Springhill Suites I stay here. The hotel is very clean, and I have always found the staff to be very nice. The rooms are just smaller than the springhill and the pillows I find to be terrible just nothing to them at all. I wish they had a bar so I could enjoy a drink after a long day. Other than that the breakfast is not the best, but its free with your stay so I cant complain too much. Very local to other restaurants etc.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Stayed here for seven nights on business. Hotel seems new.

Location convenient, being in Waco at junction of routes 6 and 340 and just off I35 but you can't walk anywhere and need a car to get to the nearest restaurant or shop.

Nice welcome and I was given a bottle of water and a pack of peanuts when I arrived. There’s a ‘help-yourself’ pop-corn trolley in reception in the evenings.

Room was good Holiday Inn standard, comfortable bed, good bathroom, good size. Internet access was free and fast. Free buffet breakfast was good.

Not really much else to say, have no complaints, it was what I wanted and so was well satisfied.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodway
Home2 Suites by Hilton Waco
La Quinta Inn & Suites Woodway - Waco South
SpringHill Suites Waco Woodway
Comfort Suites Waco North
Quality Inn & Suites Near University
Candlewood Suites Waco

Been to Best Western Plus Woodway Waco South Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!