“Our temple of serenity”
Review of Amangiri

Amangiri
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Big Water
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

The amangiri has become our personal retreat: wonderful location and landscape - we so much love the desert lounge and its view - and stunning architecture. Also the rooms are out of a dream - shower, bed, terasse, complementary food/drinks, everything perfect. I like the gym and the spa too, also the pool area is atmospheric. The staff is nice and attentive.
My only complaint would be the food (except the great pancakes): ok, but below standard, sorry.
I love the place for being an almost spiritual location.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Snugnu
There are newer reviews for Amangiri

Reviewed 29 December 2013

I went to the Amangiri with my family for thanksgiving. This was the second Aman resort that I have stayed at (the Amanyara was the first). Needless to say expectations were high, however I couldn’t help but feel disappointed.
For starters a warning on traveling: The only airport close to the resort is in Page AZ, and unfortunately the only airline that flies there is Great Lakes Airline. This airline has to win an award for worst airline. From the time we booked our flight to the time of our trip they changed the time of the flight twice, both times requiring us to change our flights to Phoenix on different airlines. Be warned.
The landscape around the hotel is spectacular. However I think the biggest problem with my stay is that I found the hotel itself to be very unattractive. The entire building was created from poured concrete and has sharp lines, dim lighting and stark unadorned walls. The resort’s bleak, bunker like aesthetic, combined with the surrounding desert landscape left me with the uncanny feeling that I was minutes away from witnessing the tanks of Rommel’s Afrikacorp roll across the desert to launch an assault on the hotel.
The rooms themselves were comfortable, and the mattresses among the best I’ve slept on in a resort. However the furniture in the rooms (and in the dinning room and common spaces) is uncomfortably low to the ground. My biggest complaint about the rooms is the showers. The showers have high ceilings and no doors, which are probably nice features in the summer. However in the fall or winter it means the showers never steam up or get hot, and any part of your body that is not directly under the water is frozen, and after the shower you must complete a mad dash to your towel to dry off and get dressed as quickly as possible.
On the more positive side the staff at the resort are excellent. Everyone is friendly, helpful, and on top of things. Which was good because management seemed to be non existent, aside from a brief appearance at the beginning of our stay operation of the resort appeared to be left to the staff. The food also happens to be very good. However the menu does not change. I feel like this was a mistake, since each meal started the same way, with the waiter going through the list of menu items that the kitchen was out of. The resort would be better served rotating through the menu.
All in all, its not a bad resort, and I’m probably nit picking, but I simply expected better from an Aman.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
22  Thank hmoore89
Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

I've been to several Aman's across the globe and they are all surreal but THIS one is by far the best of the best. The setting is so dramatic that it brings tears to your eyes. The property is stunning with amazing architecture composed of wood, stone, and cement. Activities galore which keep you busy in this desert paradise. Yes it's outrageously expensive at $1,200 for a standard room but WELL worth it!! Do it!!!

Stayed: December 2013
5  Thank GlobalSwagger
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I am only giving 3 stars because I feel they charge top dollar and I did not feel that they fully met expectations. Of course I am not saying that this is a 3 star resort but it is charging 6 star prices and falling short.

The was our first experience with Aman. The booking process was diabolical. The response to each email I sent, came from a different person who always started by confirming how excited they were that I was interested in coming to an Aman hotel; however, in their excitement, they failed to read anything in the previous emails so that I ended up being asked for the same information over and over again. Q. how was I travelling to the resort? Answer: by car. Next Q - please could I provide flight details. Answer. we are arriving by car not plane. (no driving direction were ever provided which would have been really helpful). Having confirmed I was travelling with my husband and provided his name for their records, I was then asked again in a subsequent email to provide this information. I made the booking several months in advance and was told that they would charge my credit card 30 days in advance of our stay, but then promptly charged the full amount to my card the next day. Not the high level professional Aman experience I was expecting!

The good things about this resort are (1) the location. It is very relaxing, remote and natural. However, on the first day we arrived there was a large party from California staying, which definitely changed the dynamics of the place. It felt as if they "owned" the place. As we were being shown round, I noted that every single sunbed, in the sun, around the pool was occupied. I wasn't expecting to have to bag a sunbed at a resort like this. However, after this group left the hotel, it was mainly couples and as a result it was much quieter and more peaceful. (2) the food. We had read some slightly disparaging comments about the food before we went but we had no complaints whatsoever. We were very impressed with every meal we had. They could maybe cut down the size of some of their breakfasts. My husband ordered pancakes one morning and had to leave so much. Huge portions!! But breakfast, lunch and dinner were all excellent and cooked to perfection. (3) The pool is beautiful. A stunning focal point. (4) lots of quality snacks, water, soft drinks were complimentary in the room. Though I was really surprised that they had chosen not to put a coffee machine in the rooms, which would have been appreciated. (5) good housekeeping; (6) the guided walk to the cave. We did not do any other treks but we took the morning walk with Laura (?) and she was excellent - very interesting, great fun and knowledgeable & (7) ambience at dinner. The temperature really dropped in the evenings but the dining room areas had good roaring fires. Tables were set far enough apart that you were not encroaching on others conversations yet it felt cosy and intimate. One evening they had a musician playing some beautiful haunting music which was so atmospheric - when we returned to our room a copy of his cd had been left for us at turndown. Lovely touch.

The architecture of the hotel (exterior) is fitting for the landscape but personally I found the concrete interiors drab and more akin to a housing estate than a luxury hotel. Our room was comfortable and spacious. The problem is that the use of beautiful natural materials is not always an ideal choice for a hotel. The stone surrounding our basins was really badly stained by guests who have allowed lotions and potions to drip/spill, so although it was a quality product, the numerous stains/rings impaired the pure beauty of the material. Likewise the stone surrounding our sofa had been stained. It did feel as if we were staying in a "used" room rather than a pristine one.

The major issue we had was with regard to service. It is so amateurish and unprofessional. yes the individual members of staff are all very nice people but they currently lack the high standard of training/experience that should be in place. What also shocked us was the fact that there is no sommelier. We wanted to try some pretty nice wines, which were not inexpensive, and there was no one there who had any input. One girl told us that she was currently undergoing training. On another evening, the young guy had to admit that he hadn't tried very many wines on the list. I genuinely find that unacceptable. There should have been one person who was able to provide some guidance/suggestions about the wines on offer.

So the bottom line is whether this hotel is worth it. Given that their cheapest room rate is around $1400 per night (when you include taxes and service) I cannot honestly say that the service we received was worthy of such a price tag.

62  Thank dee090
Reviewed 6 December 2013

To give some background to how great this place was for us, we had been in the US a week, our accommodation was being cancelled left right and centre owing the budget crisis and we had just stayed in a $80 motel! So my husband decided that we were going upmarket for our next night. We booked only a day in advance and arrived from a pretty stressful drive to utter calm and solitude. The staff who welcomed us in paid no attention to the fact that we looked like we had just stepped out of the desert (you would have been frowned upon in the UK!) we received a welcome drink, a tour of the hotel and spa and then our room, or should I say our suite, wow.
The room overlooked the expanse of scrub and rocks and you literally could not see anyone. We had a small fire place on our patio and we did sit out there in the dark just looking at the stars being warmed by the fire. We ate in the restaurant as there was no alternative as you are in the middle of nowhere. The food was very good with proper fining dining (british sized) portions. The staff were friendly and helpful throughout the stay and there was an astonomy evening which we attended and a hike to a cave the following morning. The breakfast was good and we enjoyed our short stay. I didnt get to take part in the yoga or use the spa, but the pool area was beautiful and we relaxed on the day beds when we arrived. All in all, would definitely go back - 2 or 3 nights would be ideal!
Weather wise, in the sunshine in October it was pretty warm, but chilly at night.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank rachellovelock
Reviewed 4 December 2013

We greatly enjoyed this place although the weaner wasn't very good. The atmosphere is most relaxing and we were discreetly surrounded by most friendly and helpful staff. Beautiful view form the desert suite fire (ethanol) to warm our feet while sitting outside (end of November!). We loved hiking on resort grounds, Terry's snake/scorpion/tarantula acquaintance, lovely dinners near the hearth, relaxing back treatment, we could have stayed here much longer and will certainly come back for horse riding, yoga, swimming and QUIETUDE!

Room Tip: Desert suite has most amazing view!
3  Thank Lanval
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We really enjoyed ourselves, and would recommend a few things before going. First, we arrived November 30th and although the temperature was slated to be 8-10 degrees C every day, it was very humid and felt much colder. The grounds made up for the lack of sun and we enjoyed hiking the various "on site" trails. The grounds are glorious, even in the cold! Our photos are beautiful despite the lack of sun.

Note: I know it seems obvious, but someone should have told us to bring proper hiking boots. Running shoes are not really adequate on all of the rock trails. Also, I brought too many nice, cashmere sweaters. Best to bring rugged sweaters at this time of year and or athletic fleece and a winter coat. The weather forecast was wrong everyday. Always said sun, and the sun was only out twice over the 5 days. Generally people dress up a bit for dinner, women wore nice sweaters, and pants, and the men wore the same. I didn't see any ties, or dinner jackets.

The food was really good, and this is coming from 2 picky New Yorkers who dine out at the best of NYC restaurants. I agree though, way too much salt. I sat at the chef's table (highly recommended) and saw one of the chefs put almost 2 handfuls of salt on every dish. Just ask for less salt. Keep in mind here, EVERYTHING is made on sight. All the breads, chips, salsa, everything is made in-house, even when we ordered a boxed lunch, the beef jerky and dried fruit were house-made- amazing!! If you are into juicing, order the beet, carrot, ginger juice with your breakfast.

The "extra" trips: The Antelope Canyon tour- $650 with Raymond, was really worth the price. I had been there previously in the summer, when it is the best time to go (at noon) when there are beams of light in the slots. Our day was cold and dark, however, Raymond picked us up, took professional quality photos of us, using my Leica camera, which he knew how to work better than I! Yea, its a bit pricey, but what do you expect for hotel pick up, 4 hours of someone's time and the BEST photos ever, despite the dark day? Now, I cannot say the same about the $1000 Grand Canyon "Institute" tour. DO NOT DO!!! NOT WORTH $1000! Ok, so we had to drive ourselves in horrible fog, in the 6 series BMW with performance tires in the snow. Really should have had us take the 4x4, however, we had to pay for gas, and admission to get into the GC. Really? Should this not have been covered in the $1,000 plus tax? When we got there, at 10:30am, this woman named Slim Woodruff assumed we would be done at 1:30pm. We walked about 500 meters to some Kolb theatre and gave us a history lesson (boring), then took us for lunch at a D+ restaurant, which she weirdly took hers and stuffed into a tupperware container, AND tucked away the packed lunch the hotel made for her! I get not wasting food, but again, not what you would expect for $1k. She offered to walk us a little further or go for a hike. She knew I was really frightened of heights and took us to some spot that after the first few steps had to turn around. Not nice! My partner continued. So for $1000, I got a tour of some movie house, a bad lunch and walked about 5 minutes of the GC. We are in the process of complaining to the hotel as the "Institute" only charges $450 for a day long private tour. Not sure how the hotel is scooping $500+ for a government park activity. Anyway, I would suggest if you really want to go to the GC, borrow or rent a car, and walk around by yourself. There are plenty of signs on the site, so no need for a guide. The drive to the GC was frightening in a sports car. Had I known before I left I would have insisted on taking one of the BMW trucks. The snow and fog practically ruined the day. Considering the drive is about 6 hours return, really wasted a day we could have been enjoying the grounds of the Amangiri.

The spa: My massage, and another day, mani pedi, were great. Krista? Or Kristal? She did my mani /pedi then was the yoga instructor the next day. The yoga studio is amazing, heated floor, rocky view, did yoga twice. The yoga class with Krista was one of the best I have ever done.

The rooms: we had the Mesa view, which I recommend because our room was right next to the gym (also top notch) and spa. I would not have enjoyed walking form the other area of the hotel (desert suites) in my robe in the freezing cold, so glad we booked the Mesa suite. The room itself was true to the architecture of the hotel, cement, but cozy and warm and had an amazing view of the mesas outside. The room was very clean and not really a need to lock the door.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed my vacation. The Amangiri is a great place to relax, forget about all the stresses in life and let the staff take care of you. No pressure to shop, find cabs for dinner, make reservations, everything is done for you. Last year we spent Thanksgiving in St Bart's. It was almost double the price and had way more "issues" with the hotel than the Amangiri. Also, it is kind of nice to NOT have anywhere to go. The staff were super friendly and kind and yes they made a tiny mistake or two, but that is normal when you stay at a place for 5 days. They have no attitude and make you feel warm and welcome. The Amangiri is a great place for those who want an "active" vacation. After eating a delicious meal, there are many miles of beautiful trails to walk and burn off your lunch. The pool and gym were also amazing. I will go back, but in the warmer weather. We were advised September/October is the best time to go.

Apparently there were only about 60 guests when were were there. I believe 90 or so is capacity. We saw people but were not in each other's faces as the grounds are spacious and there is a lot to do.

Highly recommend!

Best Western Plus at Lake Powell
Sleep Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
#12 of 24 in Page

Been to Amangiri? Share your experiences!