All reviews aman resorts mesa view lake powell desert view antelope canyon sheer beauty broken arrow private pool horseshoe bend slot canyon tour of the property surrounding desert amazing resort rock climbing remote location via ferrata mesa suite
Reviewed 20 October 2018

Keep in mind my review is based on the average nightly price of an all-inclusive room: about $2,800. Customers should expect a good ROI for such a steep fee. One important thing to know: We expected the resort to be adults only, but there were lots of kids of all ages (including toddlers crying in the restaurant and young children commandeering the main pool and hot tub). I'm not sure if we'll go back -- it's more private and intimate than somewhere like Miraval, but there isn't as much to do and the food is just not up to par for such an expensive resort. We flew into St. George and rented a car to make the 2 1/2 hour drive to Amangiri.

Accommodations: Our room was simple: A bed, a master bath with tub and shower, and a small outdoor space both in the front and back. The decor is sparse and modern in keeping with the resort. The bed is very comfortable. I will say the shower water pressure is disappointing, the blowdryer is subpar, and the air conditioner made loud popping noises all night. Given all of the pools and jacuzzis at the resort, having one in your room seems unnecessary (and I don't believe the suite pools have views - they face a wooden wall near the entry of your room). Our room was a long way from the main hall, which is where most everything takes place, but the walk was pretty.

The service: The service is good overall, but with some bumpy spots. When we arrived, no one was outside to meet us. The person who checked us in said no one at the front gate told them we'd arrived, which is apparently standard procedure. However, we were then given a very thorough review of the property and our luggage was taken to our room. We were thrilled we were able to check in early before our spa appointment. One night we reserved the outdoor dining space to celebrate our anniversary -- it wasn't worth the $350 fee. It was the same menu and the only benefit was that we were outside and there were heaters. The hotel did a lovely job of decorating our room for our special occasion, but there were no flowers on the dinner table and no celebratory dessert provided. It would be nice if staff would remind guests that their flight time is actually an hour later than the pacific time zone the hotel is in - we almost missed our flight (even though we'd asked what time we should leave). Remember to ask for a map of trails when you check in.

The food: I'd read before going that the food was mediocre - the reviews were right. Breakfast foods are fantastic (the avocado toast is wonderful); the lunch buffet is beyond disappointing (we were served a pesto pasta salad that was so bland it was inedible; a bean puree was watery and tasteless); the dinner entrees are hit or miss (a fish posole was excellent, but the shrimp undercooked on a bed of gluey lentils). Every night, one or two bottles of wine we selected were unavailable (it's probably not easy for businesses to procure alcohol in Utah), and no bottle is priced under $100 -- about a 3X mark up, which is ridiculous. Even though the food is not spa food, much of it is very bland and the portions are strangely small (we ended up ordering two cheese plates to our room in the late afternoon because just one wasn't enough for even one person).

Activities: They're very expensive, but worthwhile. The tour of the slot canyons was wonderful, and our guide was a professional photographer who took amazing photos of us. I would not recommend the Via Ferrata rock climbing unless you know you're not afraid of using cables and a treacherous rung system to go up 500 feet on the side of the mountain. We paid $700 and only my husband made it up -- I stopped after about 30 feet. Strongly recommend taking a resort BMW to view Horseshoe Bend, which is about a 20 minute drive. Another guest we spoke to said the Lake Powell cruise is a must do. The daily evening hike is fantastic; do the morning hike to the cave on your own.

The spa: One of the best I've been to -- beautiful, great services, excellent staff. Services actually reasonably priced compared to everything else offered at the resort. They gym, which is next to the spa, is well-staffed and well-equipped.

Room tip: Would select one closer to the main hall to avoid lots of long walks in the dark.
Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
6  Thank ShannonRW
JulienS2080, General Manager at Amangiri, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2018

Dear ShannonRW,

Thank you for your recent visit of Amangiri and for taking the time to explore our Peaceful Mountain. Thank you also for sharing your candid feedback about your stay. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you directly. Please feel free to contact me at jsurget@aman.com so I may follow-up with you directly and appropriately.

Reviewed 13 October 2018 via mobile

One of the best hotel I’ve ever been in the world.
Wonderful rooms.
Nice pool.
Good food and restaurant.
Luxury and discretion of the hotel and the staff.
All in a quiet and beautiful environment.
The best place for comfort and peaceful

Date of stay: October 2018
JulienS2080, General Manager at Amangiri, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2018

Dear Philippe R,

Thank you for your recent visit of Amangiri and for your enthusiastic feedback about your stay. It was wonderful to welcome you and I am thrilled you enjoyed your experience with us. I hope to welcome you soon again to our Peaceful Mountain.

Reviewed 2 October 2018

This is a great place for couples to stay. The rooms are beautiful and private, the resort is well appointed and the restaurant serves delicious food. We did a few hikes, the repelling/climbing and jeep tour. I would recommend all! Definitely more adult orientated but there were children there while we were there...depends on the children :)

Date of stay: March 2018
1  Thank Pathfinder318458
JulienS2080, General Manager at Amangiri, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2018

Dear Pathfinder318458,
Thank you for your visit of Amangiri and for the wonderful comments shared with your fellow travelers.
I am thrilled that you enjoyed your time with us and took part in some of our exhilarating activities.
I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you soon again to our corner of the desert.

Reviewed 24 September 2018

If I could just stay at Aman hotels around the world and nowhere else I would. It's that good. The service, the staff, the people watching, the food, the vistas... all amazing. We went in the high heat of Summer, it was incredible. The spa and my massage was exemplary, the day trip out to Antelope Canyon was unforgettable as was my family's experience with the guide doing the Via Ferrata on the property. It was unforgettable.

Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
5  Thank Meredith M
JulienS2080, General Manager at Amangiri, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2018

Dear Meredith M,

Thank you for your recent visit of Amangiri and for your generous comments about your stay, and Aman in general. It was wonderful to welcome you and I hope that given an opportunity to return to our corner of the desert, you will visit our Peaceful Mountain once again.

Reviewed 1 September 2018 via mobile

This Aman is spectacular. The setting is amazing and the hotel has been structured to maximise the beauty of the surroundings. Every room and public space has breathtaking views. Like all hotels in this chain, guests are treated individually and with total charm. Facilities and service are wonderful and there is scope for many different activities in the locality. What is so special is to return to the tranquility of the hotel after such an activity and to enjoy time by the spectacular pool sipping a margarita! Food is imaginative and sourced locally to the extent possible. We were very sorry to leave - I would return any day! Do visit! You will not be disappointed!

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank janeW5988II
Julien S, General Manager at Amangiri, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2018

Dear janeW5988II,

Thank you for your warm and enthusiastic review of your recent stay at Amangiri. It was a pleasure to welcome you and I am grateful for the opportunity of your visit. Thank you also for recognizing the attentive service, the serenity of our sanctuary and your desire to return.
I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you soon again