“One of the finest resorts among the new architectural wonders in high end design”
Review of Amangiri

Amangiri
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Big Water
Reviewed 23 May 2010

My wife and I have visited many Amans through out the years, infact almost all of them. Aman always has a way of making your visit very memorable, its the little things they due that makes their style so special. Their room size and number of rooms plus the mininal design built around the culture of the destinations their located in. The discreet service which is a welcome. In other words their style is different and from that aspect I'm happy that they follow no one but due their own thing. That is why a resort like Amangiri is so speical, who else would take a chance to built such carefully thought out design in the middle of a desert. This design is an architectural wonder in its own right, it blends in so discreetly it looks like its always been there. Aman isn't for everyone and it's not about the room charge, what you get is a different view one with other values. This is one of the most beautiful Amans and sure to make you think about the unique southern Utah desert landscape.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo

Reviewed 16 May 2010

I have stayed at 5 Aman resorts, including most recently at Amangiri, and can confirm, unequivocally, that Amangiri is at, or near, the top of the list in terms of best Aman properties. The location is significantly more beautiful than I anticipated (I thought it would be pretty, but was blown away by the 360 degree views and spectacularness of the location). My wife and I spent 3 nights and we were very impressed with the food and service. I could see how the menu may be limited if you are staying for longer, but we tried many different appetizers, entrees and deserts, and everything was excellent. The rooms are about 33% larger than I expected, and were fantastic. We stayed in a Mesa Suite and felt it was definitely worth an extra $50/night based on the location of the rooms compared to the common areas (much closer), and the entrance to the rooms is much wider and more open as compared to the desert view suites which all feed off of a more narrow corridor surrounded by concrete.

The spa is among the best I have been to with a gorgeous steam room and sauna. All of the facilities are co-ed, which has pluses and minuses (but is nice so that you can experence it with your significant other). I got a massage during my stay and it was fantastic. The massage therapist had excellent technique and the treatment room was stunning.

Anyone looking for a "true" Aman experience will be completely satisfied with Amangiri.

Reviewed 18 April 2010

Amangiri sits in the middle of some of the coolest country in the US - or anywhere. And the resort's design fits right into its location - other than some of the chairs that looked good but weren't comfortable, I really liked the rooms' design and the general look of the resort. If you fly into Page, AZ, they pick up you in a BMW SUV and Dan, who picked us up, was one of several staff members that I was extra-impressed with. Very fun, pleasant, knowledgable of the area, and great to be around.

Did a bunch of spa things and they did a great job - Becky, the asst spa manager, helped me set up a schedule prior to getting there and was excellent. Great massages, fun yoga classes - definitely a plus.

Hiking and exploring the area is wonderful - the rock formations and amazing scenery blow you away. And the stars are so bright, they look backlit. There are many comfy spots around the resort to sit and look around.

The restaurant needs work. The waitstaff has some great people but there were many times that we waited for coffee, water, someone to take an order, etc. And the food was only ok - there is an open grill area that has seats around it - looks good but the grillers couldn't cook steak to the requested temp. I ordered very rare and got medium. My friend ordered med rare and got med well. And there is a buffet set up for breakfast in the morning but things sit out long enough to get cool.

The trip (long weekend) was definitely a fun one but Amangiri isn't a 5-star place to me. I understand there has been some management upheaval since the place opened in 10/09, so that may account for some of the "work in progress" feeling.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LB8001
Reviewed 12 April 2010

We spent three days recently at Amangiri and were wowed by the beautiful setting and architecture. The minimalist design of the public areas and rooms was serene and let the vista take precedence. It is the perfect staging area for making the most of the incredible geological formations in the area- Lake Powell, Bryce, Zion and the Grand Canyon, to name a few.

Pros- As listed above. Also the food was terrific, maybe because we had recently also returned from a 5 star carribean trip where the food was inedible, so it was great in comparison. We loved the breakfast 'buffet' and the dinners were delicious although the menu is limited. (Three dinners in a row is more than enough.) Love the night terrace- enjoyed watching shooting stars. We took part in a few activities and totally enjoyed the off road hummer tour to the slot canyon on the navajo res- unbelieveable to see and the guide was very knowlegeable and entertaining! Generally, the service was great, flexible and willing to make your time there as good as possible. The Gm stopped by during the first meal and previewed all our activities for us and they all knew us by name...

Cons- The room had some issues- the door didn't lock and the counter in the bathroom showed the various splash marks from the previous guest. It had been cleaned, for sure, but the type of counter material might just show those stains. Unsettling. Meal service was good, but you had to wait longer than you might expect for the drinks to get ordered and delivered for each meal.

The spa was fine, but overpriced. The couples massage was just OK, nothing special. My husband and I had just come from the Mandarin Oriental in Las Vegas and the spa at the MO and treatments there were much more memorable although very different!

I was surprised to see as many kids there as there were. Lots of families. Of course they were totally well-behaved, but when you are vacationing without yours, it is a bit of a let-down to see so many. It was a spring break period so perhaps that is why so many families were present.

4  Thank clarct
Reviewed 8 April 2010

Amanresort did it again! When I heard the news that Amanresort is opening a new resort in Utah last year, I knew I had to make a detour after my skiing trip this February.
My driver Trent was already waiting for me when I arrive Page airport, and Amangiri was around 30 minute drive away in the new BMW X5.

I had to admit I've never heard of Lake Powell before and had no idea what to expect before arrival, so I really enjoyed taking in the view along the way.
The Amangiri sign is on the side of the road and can be missed easily. There's a small rocky road and a rugged iron gate that leads to the resort, which is another 5-7 minute drive. I cannot recall how big this place is, but it is HUGE, the resort took up a significant amount of the surrounding area so it is really tranquil and not bothered by the outside world.

Upon arriving the building, there is a curtain-like waterfall pool in the front, conveying a sense of oasis. There were two staffs waiting for me at the resort, helping with the luggages and offered cold towels and drinks. They showed me around the lobby/library, kitchen/dining, and pool area before taking me to my room, a mesa view pool suite.
All the suites (other than the biggest ones) here have the same layout, with the differences in having a pool/expanded terrace/star gazing lounge or not.
The suite is more like a room though, but it's decent sized. The pool and a small garden is in the front of the room, the back of the room opens up to the amazing mesa view out there, and the bed is facing the mesa view as well.
There is a small terrace area outside of the room with ethanol-burning fireplace, a great place to sit for hours relaxing and taking in the view of surrounding area.
My favorite feature of the room however, is the star gazing lounge, and I believe only the pool suites have it. Basically I go up a few stairs to my own star gazing lounge, with a small bed and pillows for me to lay down and relax in the day or watch the stars at night.
The decor of the room is minimal yet elegant, and I've heard that they spent a lot of time looking for the right kind of rock to build up the resort so the color of the building matches the surrounding area.
I was told that all the furnitures in the suites were specifically designed for Amangiri, and I thought they were pretty Bottega Veneta-ish.
The suite made me feel like staying a prehistoric cave, really peaceful

There are a lot of sitting areas in the lobby, and the beautiful view out there are carefully framed by the windows. The pool was built around a rock, and definitely the most beautiful feature of the resort. The library in the lobby has a great selection of books about this area.

To my pleasant surprise, I have been the solitude guest for a few days during my stay. I was really lucky to enjoy this place all to myself.

Aside from the breathtaking view of the resort, it was the staffs at Amangiri who made it such an amazing place! Staffs consist of a great mix of locals and hospitality students from all over the world. When I thought I was going to be so bored and just spending time reading in my room, the wonderful Amangiri staffs came to my rescue and suggested so many great options for me to experience this area and the outdoors.
Going out on a hike with an Amangiri guide is definitely a must, they are really knowledgeable and I learned so much from them.
There are so many people I'd like to thank for this amazing stay! Everyone was so nice, and they really treat you like a friend.

The day I checked out and left the resort, I found that my flight was delayed for another 2 hours for a last minute change. I freaked out because I was supposed to fly into PHX then to LAX for an international flight. My driver Jeremy drove me around for an hour and insisted waiting with me to make sure that I got on my flight or he was gonna drive me all the way to PHX! That is truly amazing service and I cannot say enough thank you!

There are still so much I'd like to share to show how terrific Amangiri is, I could go on and on for hours, and I'd highly suggest everyone to come here for a getaway vacation, it is just that perfect!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank babygenius
Reviewed 3 April 2010

Without a doubt, the most visually striking resort I’ve ever visited. Amangiri is a magical, inspiring place.

Everything everyone else has written is true: good (not great) food, nice accommodations, lovely spa and facilities, great hiking trails, nice pool, amazing architecture.

The only issues I had were with service. During our first two days there (early in the week), the service was very inconsistent and not befitting an Aman resort (i.e., calling the spa (twice, hours apart) and getting no answer, watching a waiter absolutely destroy a cork while trying to pull it, awkward gaps during meal service with multiple missed requests, lack of promised follow up from the front desk re: activity scheduling, etc). By midweek, with a full house anticipated for the coming weekend, the A Team suddenly showed up; service improved significantly. The food quality also noticeably jumped up a notch. It would have been interesting to see what service would have been like had we stayed through the weekend and into the next week.

I wanted to love this place but until they smooth things out, Amangiri is still a work in progress. I am hoping that, with time and experience, the resort will be fully realized. I hope that the subpar service is NOT related to cutbacks because of the existing economic environment. The “cutting corners” approach to service will ultimately: a) disappoint the Aman Junkie crowd and b) not win over those new to Aman. It would be tragic if Amangiri proved to be a failed (but spectacularly beautiful) experiment.

3  Thank Ex-LA
Reviewed 28 March 2010

This resort is not located in Kanab as Tripadvisor suggests (which is about 70 miles away) but near Big Water. The nearest largest town is Page which is a 25 minute drive. This may be relevant to people planning a trip to Bryce Canyon (2.5 hour drive).

The architecture of the resort is stunning and it is located in dramatic surroundings. However as a luxury experience I feel Amangiri falls short. A few comments:

- the main shortcoming is the service. Do not expect a Four Seasons level of sophistication or friendliness. Even though I was paying over $1000 a night just for the room, I felt that the senior staff felt that I was not a high roller as I was not going to spend $600 on spa treatments each day, and the initial friendliness wore off quickly. There were no more than 20 guests at the resort when I was there, so there was no excuse for this. That said, some of the junior members of staff were very friendly. Aman is an asian chain and the level of service gets nowhere close to the level of service you would be accustomed to experiencing in an asian luxury hotel.

- I also felt the rooms lacked a VIP touch, whether that was just with things like having provided a cheap hairdryer or the doors which were difficult to lock.

- there is one restaurant. Whilst the food is good (but not amazing), after a few days I was slightly bored by the limited menu.

- the first thing which I noticed when I sat down on the sofa in my room was a finger nail clipping on the floor from a previous guest. There were also splash marks on the floor tiles around the toilet and bottle marks from previous guests toiletries around the bath and the sink. Housekeeping definitely needs to improve. I do not want to see the remains of previous guests.

- Amangiri was not able to produce an itemised bill due to problems with their systems. I appreciate that technical problems will happen, but is it reasonable to ask someone to sign a $5k+ bill without providing an explanation as to what was included?

- If you do stay, choose a desert view suite and not a mesa view suite. The rooms are identical and the views from the rooms are just different. There is no need to pay the additional expense for a mesa view suite. The outside fire that the suites have is just a gel fire for ornamental purposes. It won't allow you to sit outside when its cold. The suites with pools definitely did not look like they were worth the extra money. You will want to use the main pool which is a beautiful design carved into the rock.

Amangiri is still a nice resort and certainly looks stunning. I would simply not recommend it because I do not think their proposition is anything close to value to money. For me this would be a $400 - $500 a night experience, not $1000. If you are willing to spend this, I would say that 2 nights will be enough to enjoy the resort.

The architect deserves an award, the management needs to buck its ideas up. I think Amangiri must have been a pre-credit crunch idea. Given how empty the resort was it will be interesting to see if it survives.

9  Thank CWTraveller99
Also consider these accommodations in or near Big Water
Courtyard Page at Lake Powell
Best Western View of Lake Powell Hotel
Hampton Inn & Suites Page - Lake Powell
La Quinta Inn & Suites Page at Lake Powell
Best Western Plus at Lake Powell
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Page - Lake Powell Area

Been to Amangiri? Share your experiences!