“Farmers haven!”
Review of Rancher Motel Cafe

Rancher Motel Cafe
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Delta
Rancher Motel Cafe
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Delta
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Came across this place on a road trip and although a bit tired and in need of an update we liked it.
As soon as we walked in conversation came to a halt- but soon started again. It was quite busy with lots of old men sitting on bar stools in baseball caps - every single male was wearing one!
Staff were friendly, food was good and there were some joke books on the table to browse while we waited.
Proper old time diner set among farmland in this small town.
Outside were two chairs and a little table with an overflowing ashtray where smokers could sit and have a smoke in the sun (which we did!). A few locals walked by and every one of them passed the time of day. Not often you get that in England these days!
So yes, I would say stop if you're passing. It may be old but it's clean and the food was tasty.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank susie114

Reviewed 6 December 2011

The Rancher Motel and Café in Delta, Utah was a small home town café that was connected to what seemed to be this tiny town’s only motel. Delta Utah is a small municipality located in north eastern Utah. It features a population a little upward of 3,200 and the wonderful and odiferous aroma of cow, horse, pig, sheep and other various livestock dung mixed with the sweet yet pungent smell of freshly milled hay. Settled in the early 1900’s, the town hasn’t changed much and neither has the good old country lifestyle that came with the times. Seated at the warped wooden picnic table placed outside the front door were two old and weathered cowboys; smoking their hand rolled cigarettes and chatting about a good day’s work. This town is country, and it is obvious!
After camping for five days in Moab, Utah and being on the road for four hours, a vegan finds herself viciously hungry and in dire need of satiation. After checking into our room, my parent, my son, and I made our way to the entrance of the café. As I crossed the threshold, my attention was brought to the shining silver plated wrap around bar that filled the middle of the restaurant. The bartender greeted us happily, asking how many were in our party and if we needed a high chair for the little one. We told her that there were three adults and we would definitely need a highchair for my son.
We were permitted to choose our table, so we picked one in a separate room adjacent to the main dining room and bar as to dampen the loud cheery noises that seem to emanate from the vocals of a one year old. We made our way to the table, and I noticed that this restaurant only provided booth seating. Although the seating was comfortable, I would have much preferred a table to the bright red booth seats because it is considered a fire safety issue to place a high chair at the end of a booth. Although this restaurant was child friendly, it was not up to par with current safety standards in regards to highchair placement. The walls of the café were somewhat bare although what little decorations were present radiated a very homey small town feel, and the quiet modern country music being played added much to the atmosphere. Although I am not a fan of the country life, I can appreciate that others find it a comfort, and this place would provide such coziness.
While we sat, waiting for our menus, we noticed a few books stacked on each table. The books were of silly small-town country humor and made for fun reading while we passed the time. The bartender brought us the menus, however, she had forgotten the high chair, and we had to go get it ourselves. Upon opening the café’s menu, I was immediately struck by a lack of vegan or even vegetarian options and was overwhelmed by the amount of meat entrees with meat side dishes, topped with meat condiments. Chicken fried steak with meat gravy and a side of bacon, chicken fried chicken with a side of bacon mixed with macaroni and cheese, chicken fried fish with gravy and a salad topped with bacon, sausage and eggs with pancakes or waffles were a few examples of what I was faced with. It seemed there would be nothing that I could eat!
Our waitress skipped on over to our table to procure our drink orders, ice waters to go around, and then swiftly hurried off to fill them. When she returned, I informed her of my dietary requirements and asked if I might alter my order a little so as to suit my needs. She sweetly replied that it was just fine. I ordered a BLT on rye bread without the bacon, adding extra veggies, and a side of French fries. Although they didn’t have a side dish of fruit that I may feed my son, she found a banana back in the kitchen that she gave to me for free. At first, my order didn’t come out correct, but she very quickly replaced it with the right entre. The food tasted great, if a little dry due to lack of mayonnaise as I cannot eat it, and was obviously made in house. The bread was fresh and still felt warm to the touch, the vegetables on the sandwich were fresh, crisp and filled with flavor, the French fries were still piping hot and salted to perfection, and our water glasses never emptied. The atmosphere was calm and quiet except for the screeching coming from my son as he happily squished his banana between his fingers. It was a peaceful and refreshing closing to an exhausting week of dry red desert sand and minimal water supplies.
As a vegan, I would not recommend this café to another vegan, however, to anyone else and especially meat lovers I would. This place is a real winner if you like country style comfort foods made fresh and at location. Over all, I would give this café a 4/5 stars only for the lack of vegetarian options. The food was of good quality, the atmosphere was comforting and the wait-staff were friendly and prompt. A few salads and sandwiches would do the menu a world of good and get them that fifth star, however, the experience was pleasant and if given the same circumstances, I would visit again in an instant.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank Shawna-Dale K
Reviewed 23 August 2011

The Rancher is a cafe/diner with motel rooms in the back. When you call, you get the cash register station in the cafe. Room reservations are kept on the wall behind the counter. So, the first and most important rules are: when making a reservation, get the name of the person with whom you spoke, then call back in a few days to confirm, then call the day of your reservation. They are good people, but you could get a waitress who is between ringing up a customer and getting an order from the kitchen, so your reservation may get taken in the midst of other more current activities.

The place has been around a while, so you can see evidence of wear. My room was adequate, which is all I generally want. Not fancy, but clean with what's important - bed, sink, bath, toilet, towels, air conditioner (although it did have to work awfully hard in the heat). Its a place used by peple who are "on the road." Shower was great - good pressure and lots of hot water. I ate dinner and breakfast right there - the food was good, the people friendly. Although a Friday night, it was not noisy, and I slept well.

Here is what I wrote in my trip journal of my stay:
The Rancher Café and Motel is a funky place. I check in, shower, then go to eat. It was a Friday night with lots of people coming and going. The vinyl in the booths is cracked and torn in places – little evidence of attempts to fix. But the people do not seem to mind. They come any way - for the food, and hospitality and to see other folks there that they know. Reminded me a bit of the diner in the movie American Graffiti. One young man came in with his 3 year old nephew. Talked briefly to a friend about “putting in his papers” (enlisting). “Seems the right thing and time to do it.” His parents arrive later and sit with him; talked of buying a motorcycle before he signs up and leaves. They seem sad but resigned that this is what their son will do. Other folks talk about basketball games and golf tournaments. A down-home place. I meet and speak with the owner, Laura, for a while.

Up at 7 and have good breakfast in the Café. Turns out the waitress is Laura’s mother; I talk with her a bit. There is a photograph of a gentleman on the wall behind the cash register counter. I meant to ask if that was her husband, and if she and he had started the place. But I had miles to go that day; another missed conversation.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo