“Great place with a great restaurant”

Flaming Gorge Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dutch John
suburban Boston, MA
“Great place with a great restaurant”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We stayed in a 1 bedroom unit (all the motel units were full) and immediately felt at home. Woodsy feel, but clear they have been updating everything. Kitchen was up to date, brand new sink and faucets, full size refrigerator, etc. Comfortable couches and beds. Enugh light to read by at night. Very friendly staff. New faucets, etc. in bath room (tho' they need to finish replacing the shower faucets and spot clean the dining chairs in our unit).
Staff was very helpful when we wanted to find a motor boat tour.
Best part is the food. Portions are huge, quality is high. At breakfast they served homemade jam which was just the best I've ever had (also sold in jars), my cheese and mushroom omelette must have had a full cup of fresh mushrooms.
Flaming Gorge itself is beautiful - especially the Dowd Mt and other overlooks, and the drive thru Sheep Creek route is incredible.
I want to go back and especially to stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms are away from the road, so quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ready2Go2008

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 27 April 2014

the hotel room is plain but very clean and comfortable. The restaurant is just a few steps away and servers breakfast, lunch and dinner. Not a huge menu but a little of everything. There is also a small store so you can find things you might have forgotten to pack.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bobbie U
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Over the years I've camped out a lot to fish the Green River. When a late January business trip took me and a business partner to Salt Lake for a few days, we decided to fish the Green River for the weekend. Camping was not an option, so we booked the resort. And it was a GREAT decision. The people are all super friendly and helpful. Motel clerks, restaurant staff, and fly shop guy were all very nice and went out of their way to make us feel welcome and well taken care of. Good advice on what the fish were doing helped us land a good number of rainbows and browns in the dead of winter. The rooms were clean, warm, comfortable, and suitably rustic with a log cabin theme. They even filled our Thermos bottles with coffee for the long, cold days on the water. Great people! I only wish we could have stayed a few days more.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank BoneSquatch
Midway, Utah
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Have had many many enjoyable stays here. I love fishing the Green River. With that in mind I very much appreciate that this facility is here. The restaurant is usually very good. My drive from home is over 3 hours and many times we feel its worth holding off breakfast until we arrive here. (Eggs Benedict) the fly shop usually is capable of taking pretty good care of most needs including an extensive array of flies for the Green River. They are prepared to also provide guide service for floating and fishing sections of the river down stream from the dam. Room accommodations include optional condominiums that are equipped for cooking and serving your own meals. Plan to bring groceries if this is what you want to do. My many trips here have always centered around fly fishing. On the other hand the river trail is a spectacular scenic hike

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Drift A Dry -
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I made a reservation (RV Park) over the phone for a 3 night stay way back in September. I called ahead of time to make sure that I would find a good spot for my 30FT Travel Trailer. I was assured that there wouldn’t be a problem.

When I got there, there was no RV pad that could fit my TT. Extremely unlevel grounds. But that’s not all. Once in a while, you will end up with a room/ space that wasn’t quite what you expected. It is quite understandable.

Anyway, at the end of our 3 night stay, we checked out and received an invoice showing a total of $115.44- for the 3 night stay. I am the type of person who has the habit of reviewing my credit card transactions every now and then. A few days later, I realized that there was a credit card charge of $450 on top of the regular $115.44. At first, I thought this was a ‘hold’ placed during the stay. Pretty typical in hotels/ motels as incidentals security deposit. In most instances, the amount would be credited back into your account within 3-7 days.

It never happened! I contacted American Express to find out what was going on. They said that it was indeed an actual charge and there is nothing they could do about it unless I contacted Flaming Gorge Resort. Well, that’s what I did. I spoke to Donna, who transferred me to Marietta (Account Receivable). Marietta said that there is no record of such a charge in my credit card. She completely disputed the charges. So, I ended up faxing her copies of my Bank Statements reflecting the $450 unauthorized charge.

Lo and behold. I received a call a couple of days later. She told me that the receptionist on duty that day must have charged somebody else monthly rent using my credit card. I was extremely puzzled and shocked. I asked her how that is possible and she said ‘we have a new system and it must have a few bugs as you are not the only one to find this out’. Nonetheless, I was extremely upset. For the record, it’s not like I left my credit card with them. Somebody must have found my credit card info to manually charge the other account. On top of that, it’s not like they were proactive about. If I hadn’t reviewed my online statement I wouldn’t have caught it.

I requested to speak with the Manager (Craig). I was contacted a week later. He started laughing and the only thing he said was ‘I apologize for the incident’. No recourse offered. No explanation.

I wonder how many other customers had their credit cards overcharged for somebody else’s stay. If you have ever stayed here, PLEASE GO BACK AND REVIEW YOUR STATEMENTS. In fact, I ended up canceling that particular CC and requested for a new one, just in case.

The Flaming Gorge Resort is extremely overrated and very expensive for that matter. Their customer service is bogus. There are other better places to stay around the Dutch John area.

I will NEVER ever stay at this place again. These people are crooks.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
10 Thank P K

Travellers are raving about these Dutch John hotels

Saratoga Springs, New York
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Great, family friendly place - not fancy but comfortable. Staff is always pleasant and outgoing. Rafting the Green river in this area is not for the rafter, but the fly fisher. Food in restaurant is very good and great value for the money. Destination for outdoor lovers only.

Room Tip: Family suite is huge with four bedrooms. Very good for a family reunion trip of fishing and rafting...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank gatorgirls
Tacna, Arizona
Reviewed 18 June 2013

You come here for the fishing. Which is great. Spectacular scenery. Crystal clear water. Abundant trout.

The restaurant is surprisingly above average. Nothing gourmet -- yet they serve well prepared fresh food. But you come here for the fishing.

The accommodations are poor. Older musty rooms with uncomfortable mattresses. But you come here for the fishing.

They do have a remarkably well supplied fisherman's store. Because... you come here for the fishing.

So if you're not coming here for the fishing ( or maybe the rafting), perhaps you should choose an alternative venue for your vacation.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ALAN H

Been to Flaming Gorge Resort? Share your experiences!