“A serene and Special Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Kiva Kottage

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Escalante
Kiva Kottage
Ranked #6 of 10 Escalante B&B and Inns
Cincinnati Ohio
“A serene and Special Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2009

We stayed in the sunset room which had two queen beds. The room also had a dining table and chairs, a fireplace, small refrigerator, coffee maker (with freshly ground coffee provided each day). Everything about Kiva Koffeehouse and the Kottage are designed to be with / blend into the land creating a calm and serene place. We had spent the day canyoneering down a slot canyon with Excursions of Escalante and were exhausted and dirty. We had arranged with the owner to leave the key for us as we were going to arrive late, and when we walked in we were stunned with just how right everything felt. We were home. Beautiful bathroom with great shower and Jacuzzi. This was my favorite place to stay during our trip to Utah and I would never have known about it if it weren’t for other TA reviews. I’ll never forget driving back to our room here from a dinner at Hell’s Backbone, and taking pictures of the night sky from our private patio.
There are just two rooms here and if being all alone in the middle of Grand Staircase might spook you, don’t stay here, as you’re on your own after the Koffehouse closes around 4:30, but if you want to experience something special, then this is it.
Breakfast is at the Kiva Koffehouse when it opens at 8:30. We had great omelets in corn tortillas with fresh salsa one morning, and the oatmeal pancakes the next. Barrie the owner is very sweet, and can provide lots of information about what to do in the area.
Kiva Koffehouse and Kottage sit about mid way between Escalante and Boulder and about half a mile from the Calf Creek Falls area so it’s very convenient for exploring Grand Staircase.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank baraseth

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Winston Salem, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2008

I have stopped twice before at the Kiva Koffeehouse and was curious about the Kottage nearby, so this time around I determined to spend the night. The Koffeehouse closes at 4:30pm, and I would not be arriving from Salt Lake City until 5:00pm, but I made arrangements for the manager to open the room for me. When I arrived she whisked together dinner by special request from the lunch menu... carrot lentil soup with crusty bread, gingersnaps and vanilla ice cream, which I happily ate on the small porch watching the sun go down on the red rocks of the Escalante Canyon. The room itself had a tall kingsize bed with wonderful linens and glass windows for wonderful views throughout. There is also a fireplace, which I did not use. The bathroom had an enormous dark granite colored jetted tub and beamed ceiling similar to the Koffeehouse. I realized as the sun set that I was the only person there! The Koffeehouse staff had gone to their homes, and no one was in the other rental unit, so I truly was alone. And sometimes that can be a good thing, but you need to be prepared for it! The peacefulness and quiet made it easy to really see the beauty surrounding me. I slept so very soundly! The next morning I chose oatmeal pancakes from the breakfast menu, drove 1 mile to the Calf Creek Falls trail and hiked it; then back to the Kiva for an outstanding turkey and havarti melt sandwich for lunch before heading for Bryce Canyon. Everything I ate was homemade and hearty. Barrie has done a beautiful job landscaping with local wildflowers and being sure her guests are comfortable. If you want serenity, privacy, and an awesome sense of place, this stop is well worth it.

4 Thank cdudley
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2008

We had stopped at Kiva Koffeehouse on previous road trips through Southern Utah, but never even noticed the two amazing kottages down below ...

Kiva Kottage is an exceptional place beyond compare: two rooms in an octagonal shaped building hovering over Escalante River gorge - both with unbelievable views into the green canyon below.
The rooms are spacious and beatuifluuy furnished - with a dining table in from of the large picture window, comfy chairs in front of the wood burning fireplace, a small fridge - and a large bathroom with amenities and a jacuzzi bathtub. For early birds the rooms come with coffeemakers & a bag of fresh ground coffee - for a first cup of joe with a view on the kottage's porch.

Breakfast is served at Kiva Koffeehouse up the hill - the only building visible from Highway 12 (& worth a visit even if you cannot score a reservation at the Kottage).

Kiva Koffeehouse is open for dinner only on Friday and Saturday nights, but if you do not feel like driving into Boulder or Escalante at night, just bring some wine & prepared foods - and enjoy sunset dinner on the porch outside the kottage or at the dining table in front of the large view window ...

Looking forward to returning there soon ...

• Liked — Hidden gem in an uncomparable setting with a view ...
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank JulesSF
Also consider these accommodations in or near Escalante
Canyons Bed and Breakfast
Cowboy Country Inn
Cowboy Country Inn
#7 of 10 in Escalante
Boulder Mountain Guest Ranch

Been to Kiva Kottage? Share your experiences!