“Run down”
Review of Ideal Beach Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Garden City
Ideal Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Garden City
“Run down”
Reviewed 15 September 2013

This resort is badly outdated. The grounds and lake look great, but everything else just needs to be torn down. The motel room we stayed in had peeling paint and wood and was just not at all impressive. For what we paid for it I expected a lot better room. I dont know what the other nearby places look like but I wish I would have stayed somewhere else. Maybe their management actually takes pride in their appearance.

• Stayed November 2012
4 Thank pbolichero

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I went to Ideal Beach Resort at the end of July, during the annual Raspberry days. There were lots of activities at that time for many age groups like basket ball and volley ball tournament, sidewalk chalk, sandcastle competition, and even a coloring contest. my friends and I also had a chance to watch the fireworks and it was great!!!! they set the fireworks off on the beach and we sat on the grass a safe distance away. the display was grand and up-close, and I never felt in danger. I wish there was a restaurant on the resort so we didn't have to leave. they have a convenience store there with great employees who were extremly helpful. there were two Joshes who were also players at the Pickleville Playhouse. They were so funny! and they also informed us of the showtimes and costs. The one that surprised me about this resort was when the fire alarm in our condo went off in the middle of the night, we called the security, and Steve the General Manager came down personally to help us out. he was soo kind and considerate and even checked in with us in the morning to make sure we were OK. It was a blast for me and my friends! I hope I can spend my summer again there next year! I would highly recommended this resort to anyone!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Jared A
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Great location on a beautiful beach at Bear Lake, Idaho (on the Utah side at Garden City).

My family needed accommodations for 27 for a family reunion and thought Bear Lake would be an Ideal Beach to enjoy (no pun intended). My parents went to great lengths to book two large condo suites that could accommodate us all, having to sit on the phone and dial nonstop on the day the reservation system opened in late winter. We got in! Marvelous... or so we thought.
Trouble was, if you book, you get what you get and as far as we could tell, you book sight unseen without a choice on units... it's like playing the lottery. These are all privately owned condos, some with nice updates and others stuck in the 60's. We had one of each. One seemed to have been updated nicely with new appliances, tile floors, and reasonable quality, albeit not quite clean, carpet. The other looked like it hadn't been touched in 40 years, having very dated appliances and furnishings.

The place was generally very, very noisy, with people and cars coming and going at all hours of the night. A drunken father came and went all night long, making a scene with each arrival and departure. He was apparently driving his family in and out, screaming children and infant in tow , with his wife screeching, "please don't drive, you're drunk". Since the office closes at 9pm, there was no one to report him to. In general, there didn't seem to be adequate soundproofing to make for a good sleep. We could year everyone above and next to us. Although wireless Internet was advertised and we were given a password, it was worthless. We had to walk across the giant courtyard (something like 5 buildings) to get a connection. There is no 3G or 4G for ATT in the area, although my brother had good luck with his Verizon phone. We could make phone calls on the Edge network, but it was worthless for Internet.

The condo we stayed in (the updated one) was in a bit of disrepair... minor things... doors very squeaky, bunk beds and full size beds were even squeakier. We blew the electrical circuit in the kitchen cooking with just a coffee pot and electric griddle. Since the GFI was broken, it would not reset, so we had to notify the office, who summoned an electrician. Breakfast for our 27 people was cooked using a plug in the living room. A big plus was that the kitchen was beautifully stocked with every implement one could have imagined, which made for a great family dinner spot. I will say that the property has very nice, well kept grounds, and a little gift store.

Still, despite the little inconveniences, we greatly enjoyed the stay and had a great, but sleepy, visit with our family. The older condo mostly went unused except for sleeping. It was quite sub-standard.

I think next time we'd opt for a big house or two and then would have had a bit more privacy and rest, and certainly fewer annoyances.

Room Tip: I believe you could request a certain room if you knew of a good one... we didn't.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank NaunieG
SLC
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I had a very different experience than the negative reviews on the site! My best friend and I went to stay for a long weekend towards the end of the busy season. It was a quick trip from SLC, the drive was stunning, and our condo was right on the beach in a very clean, comfortable room. The staff was so nice to us, the area was always tidy and clean, and we never had a problem getting our needs met. You should plan on bringing up some food to keep in the room, unless you want to eat in "town" which doesnt offer a lot in terms of cuisine. I had a better experience planning for some groceries and eating out one meal a day. Bear Lake is gorgeous-- I have a feeling it's an up and coming resort getaway in UT. I loved Ideal Beach Resort-- highly recommend it!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank 801seq
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We regularly rent condo's for our vacations - usually from another on-line site which specializes in condo rentals. I was concerned about renting from this location because they do not have pictures of the condo you are going to rent available on-line, so you have no idea what you are going to get. However, a friend recommended Ideal Beach Resort, so we decided it must be okay and went ahead with the rental. The person we spoke to when booking the reservation told us we would be getting one of the nicer units.

The prices were about the same as other condos we've rented in the past (about $800 for 3 nights), so we assumed we would get a similar place in terms of quality, but when we arrived and opened the door to the condo for the first time, we were shocked at how run-down the condo was. It probably would have been funny to see the expressions on our faces when we walked in - going from a happy and joking attitude while walking to the condo, to a look of total shock let-down when we opened the door and walked in...

It was obvious the condo hadn't had a dime spent on it sense it was built - I would assume at least 30 years ago by the look of the kitchen cabinets and other decor. It was very run-down and sparsely furnished. The kitchen was tiny with the poorest-quality cabinets and counter tops. Cheap appliances and next to no counter space. There wasn't even a drawer for the silverware - they just stacked the utensils in a box and put them in an overhead cabinet. Many of the dishes were dirty.

The bathroom was dingy with rust in the tub and stains in the sink and counter top. The lighting in the condo was terrible - one overhead light for the entire kitchen, dinning area and living room, which made for dark corners and an overall dreary feel. It was difficult to prepare food after the sun went down because kitchen was so dark.

The TV was a small 25 incher, the beds were cheap and uncomfortable, the couch was old and stained, and the one other chair in the living room was broken and tilted to the side. There wasn't even a clock in the entire condo. The worst part was the lack of air conditioning - the unit had an air conditioner, but the condo never got below 79 degrees in spite of keeping the air conditioner running the whole time we were there - made sleeping very uncomfortable.

My family doesn't mind roughing-it and we often camp-out, but we didn't pay $800 because we wanted a "camp-out" experience in this condo. Needless to say, we won't be staying at Ideal Beach Resort again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Chris G
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We stayed at Ideal Beach Resort in July. I booked this room back in January. I was promised a newly remodeled condo, that would sleep 16. In June my sister called extremely worried about coming here, because of bad feedback she recently got from co-workers! I called the resort and was told we would be the first to stay in a newly remodeled condo. Upon arrival it was clear we were in trouble. we were in a old, dark, dirty, creepy condo! No private rooms, matresses on the floor? Old furniture that no one dared sit on! The table we were to use sit's 6, what about the other 10?? The walls had things splattered on them. Cupboards had old food in them! Now for the dangerous part..We had 4 kids under the age of 5 in the group! They had exposed electrical outlets, the railing on the loft was loose, as well as a opeing they could fall through-we moved a dresser in front of this! The windows and sliding doors were old and water loged so you could not see through them! I could go on and on! This is my first time writing a negative blog for any stay, I wish someone would have been honest about the stay they had so I could have reconsidered this trip. The pictures they use do not represent all rooms! Some places have been upgraded-most are not!! Even if you think you are getting something new probably not. When confronting the manager he's, sympathetic, listens, says sorry! I now am faced with 16 people crammed in a space for 8.. Basically half the party left a day later! The beach was rocky and unable to drive stuff down closer and get my dad down to the area!! My advise go anywhere else! I've stayed several other places around the lake and they were much nicer!!!

Room Tip: I wish I could did not work for me!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank jo b
Farmington, Utah
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We stayed at Ideal Beach Resort in June. We had a great time. We have been many times over the years. We've always enjoyed it but it seems to be even better the last few years. They have made several upgrades in the rooms as well as the store, swimming, and other common areas. We really loved Mario in the store. He was very fun with the kids and adults alike. We really like the general manger (Steve) as well. He's been there for several years. He is responsible for the upgrades and improvements as far as I can tell. I hope they will continue letting him upgrade the facilities. We look forward to going again next year!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Conestoga Ranch Glamping Resort
Beaver Creek Lodge
Beaver Creek Lodge
#1 of 1 in Logan

Been to Ideal Beach Resort? Share your experiences!