“Overpriced - very run down”

Americas Best Value Inn Green River
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Green River
utah
“Overpriced - very run down”
Reviewed 13 May 2013

If this were the cheapest hotel in town I would have been OK with it.

However it was charging nearly double the motel 6 & super 8.

The bad:
The place was very run down and dingy. The carpet was bunched up everywhere.

The hall carpet was very dirty. Something had been spilled and dried on and had been there for some time.

There were maintenance issues. A number of the light bulbs were out in the room. The door to the room did not close/lock unless you pushed on it very hard and lifted up. I mentioned that we couldn't get the door locked to the attendant clerk and he showed the me "trick" to get it to lock - so they already knew this and hadn't bothered fixing it. (Of course, we didn't even realize we weren't locking our door the first couple of times we left - yikes.)

The good:
I was comfortable in the bed and slept well.

The breakfast was above average for a budget hotel - they were pretty lazy with keeping it stocked though.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank brian_c_pg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Czech first
Lockport, New York
Reviewed 9 May 2013

I was driving across the country alone with just my cat, returning east after wintering in Las Vegas. I don't usually pre-plan the cities I will stop in because some days I go further than others. That being said, I stopped in Green River after getting a late start from LV. I give a quick call to my personal concierge (ha! my son!) and he quickly and efficiently finds me a room! The problem with this scenario on this particular night was finding a room that would allow my cat, and this was the only one available in Green River and I was just too tired to think about going all the way to Grand Junction, CO.

I was concerned when I pulled in and quickly called my son inquiring if this was truly my only option. He said yes, with a pet. It looked "sketchy" at best, but he informed me there was no refunds, so I sucked it up and stayed. It was after all, only one night. Check in was on a tablet with a cube for the credit cards, which left me a bit uneasy right there. Cubes and tablets are ok for smaller businesses, but for a hotel, I was just praying my credit card wouldn't end up who knew where. There was a dog racing down from the hallway that mugged me at check-in also, come to find out it was the "maid's" dog.

I requested to be on the 2nd floor and began hauling in my things. (Let me just say, travelling with a cat is much like travelling with a newborn!) As I made it to the 2nd floor (no elevator) with my arms loaded I again passed by the "maid". He apparently lives (yes, lives) across the hall from where I was moving into. He also apparently lives there with his significant other (girlfriend, wife...not sure) and a crying baby and the previously mentioned dog. The hallways were dirty, the hall window was wide open (to apparently air out the permeating dog odor). Upon entering into my room, I find that upon a quick look (emphasis on quick) the room seemed clean at least, and it was in what I would refer to as the "center" of everything. Along the edges was literally years worth of dust, dirt and debris collected over time and not once was ever vacuumed up because that would require pulling out the hose of the very beat up Dyson parked outside my room. Also parked outside my room was the maid cart which never moved once during my stay.

I returned from dinner (another fiasco, but a story for another day..) and started getting ready for bed because I had another long day of driving ahead. First I find that the clock isn't plugged in. Since it wasn't, I brought it over to "my" side of the bed and moved the night stand to find an outlet to plug it into. An old water bottle and some food wrappers were my find, but no outlet. I plugged it into the plug by the dresser so I could see it during the night. I then went to turn on the tv. No remote. Really? So, I manually turned it on and scanned through channels. The HBO guide was from the previous month and the channel list was no where to be found. I finally gave up and decided to read until I turned the light off. I pull back the covers to find a dirty styrofoam cup lying just under the edge of the bed. Around 10:30 I get a call from "housekeeping" (my neighbor/"maid' from across the hall). He wants to know if I want a remote for the tv. My reply was that I didn't know I needed to ask, but I had already turned off the tv so I would live without it. He said he had taken it from the room and forgot to return it, but he could bring it to me. NO! The tv is off (not to mention I am a single female travelling and do not open my room door for anyone at 10:30!) I go to sleep and pray that when I leave I don't go home with any unwanted critters that may have crawled into my possessions.

In the morning a hot breakfast was included so I went down to see what I could round up. Upon walking into the tiny room they serve the breakfast in, I find the "maid" again, this time eating up all of the food with another employee I saw roaming around the day before. There was at least 45 minutes left to the breakfast hours, so I figured I was fine in finding SOMETHING! The hot eggs & bacon was all gone (being greedily gulped up by the "maid" and his companion). There was coffee in thermos dispensers but not hot water. Believe it or not, not everyone drinks coffee!!! I spot instant packets of oatmeal, but again no hot water. The only thing to warm water in the microwave with was styrofoam bowls which is one of the worst things to put in a microwave, so I passed on that. I settled for some orange juice. There was cream cheese but not a bagel to be had to put it on. There was some stale looking bread and 2 cinnamon rolls. I figured, how badly can you screw up a cinnamon roll? I threw it into the microwave (buried under a large tray and on a cart about the height of my knees (I am not tall)) then carried it over to a table to try it. After I scraped about a pound of yellow-ish icing off the top, I took a bite only to discover it was made back in '75. I tried for one more bite from the inside and it wasn't any better so I refilled my orange juice and left.

I got everything returned to my car and went to check out. I was handed a yellow carbon copy of the handwritten registration card I had to fill out upon arrival. That was my receipt. The staff was mostly 20-somethings that thought baggy jeans, sloppy tees and hoody sweatshirt jackets was acceptable attire for hotel staff. When I said it was one of the worst hotels I had ever stayed at the girl at the desk looked affronted and said "Why? What was wrong?" I seriously didn't know where to start. Perhaps if my room had been $39, I would have gotten a deal, but at $113 with tax it wasn't a bargain.

The outside has no curb appeal, in fact I wondered if the picture of it on line had been taken when it was built. It is in desperate need of a thorough cleaning as well as a complete makeover. Staff needs to get some professional training and wardrobe and find other premises to live. It would have some potential if some of these things were addressed. There isn't much in Green River to begin with, but it is the last booming metropolis before Grand Jct. and because of this has attracted several newer hotels to the town. My suggestion; try one of those!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Heidi M

Travellers are raving about these Green River hotels

Laughlin, Nevada
Reviewed 7 October 2012

My husband and I had traveled nearly 700 miles and it was getting late and we were not at the top of our game for driving. We called Holiday Inn Express but it was full as well as Comfort inn. Ramada had one room left. We reserved sight unseen though we thought the price was over the top. I walked in the lobby and thought - you must be kidding for that price??? Again, we were tired. We took the room. No elevator to the second floor. Promised WiFi in the room...didn't happen. I called the front desk, the guy told me to take my laptop in the hall and see if I could connect better. Really! He said that! Ok, we went to dinner and came back to sleep. We got up early to get our drive to Las Vegas started and no hot water for shower. Called the desk and they were waiting for someone to come light it. Wish I had read the reviews but difficult when on the road. The bed was comfortable. The furniture - very tacky. Would not attempt to eat there when they didn't have working facilities.

Room Tip: We need to look before we sign the dotted line.