“Do not stay here if you can help it”
Review of Hanksville Inn

Hanksville Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hanksville
Reviewed 20 October 2011

We chose Hanksville Inn because the other option (Whispering Sands) never responded to our reservation requests. That was a BIG mistake. We travelled around the Southwest for two weeks, staying in very basic hotels but Hanksville Inn is a dump (it even smelled like a toxic dump at that). First room we were shown smelled heavily of mold so we asked for a different room which initially seemed fine, thanks to the room deordorizer we later discovered. Too late (10 p.m), we realized that sink seemed to be draining directly onto floorroom boards and entire room stank like sewage. I considered sleeping in the car but lights in parking lot were too bright. We switched to Whispering Sands the next night and it was like staying at the Ritz....

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank vatravelingbug
There are newer reviews for Hanksville Inn

Reviewed 26 September 2011

Hanksville doesn't offer much in the way of hotels. This was one of two that we saw. Room was spacious, and the owner was friendly, but the room wasn't very clean.

Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank keh43501
Reviewed 17 September 2011

Nice people, though Hanksville in general has a bit of a Deliverance country feel. No frills, pool is filled in, blanket on bed was from the Eisenhower era, but it worked when we were driving through and tired. Blondes across the street was good for breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank goudgy
Reviewed 16 August 2011

The Inn is a dump but with so many tourists on the road its the only thing I could find within a hundred miles. Riding a Harley across the Arizona and Utah highways presents special challanges one of those is the intense heat in the summer. The good news about the Hanksville Inn is that the air conditioner worked, the hot shower worked and the steak house across the street (owned by the same person as the hotel) had decent food but no alcohot served. The RV park had a laundry where I washed our clothes and was entertained by a mouse running behind the different machines as the heat steamed the building. My suggestions? Make reservations early and stay up the road in Torrey but if you must stay in Hanksville.... bring a fly swatter.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank bikergunny
Reviewed 20 June 2011

We've arrived in Hanksville pretty late and had no prior booking, so because the other option in town Whispering Sands was fully booked we ended up staying here. I tried to negotiate down the rate because I noticed that the place was pretty much empty - the only people who seemed to be coming were those who tried to get into Whispering Sands but couldn't. Obviously one should be suspicious if one of the places in town is fully booked and the other fairly empty, but we had no other choice so we took the room.

The room was ok, the eccentric owner spent some money on renovating the place recently so the bad reviews from prior years are not necessarily true anymore. However we found some hair on the bed and also there was a tiny plant growing in the bathroom - pretty strange sight. Internet worked without a problem.

In general the stay was ok, but the price was by far too high ($70) for what you get.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Zael
Reviewed 4 April 2010

This dump really, really needs to be razed to the ground!

Heating didn't work, wifi didn't work, tv didn't work ... but apart from that, everything was crap.

Howver, the fridged worked ... BINGO, but ... rattled and hummed like hell and consequently got turned off promptly until my departure.

The owner, surely a distant relative of Basil Fawlty, well, er ... really should pursue another career! Yesterday!

He showed me where the antenna was located in his car park. I drove to it & still got no signal. He told me, "These laptops & their micky mouse wifi cards" or such like rubbish.

He got the tv working. Nothing like a bit of brute force eh! He had to re-tune the satellite box because "...those things keep going around the Earth!" Really! I suggested that manufacturers should be made aware of that.

The heating, well talk about Heath-Robinson. After he turned one knob [installed many years ago] to 'heat' & then turned a very, very sloppy dial [also installed eons ago] to 'max' & then cranked the stat up from his office eventually the heat arrived.

I was told, "You're not the first to have these little hiccups." Well mate ... I probably won't be the last.

The decor is terrible. No coordination whatsoever. Looks like it's been thrown together by a bloke with no idea!

The motel allows animals judging by the blonde dog hair on my carpet.

My bathroom, unlike other reviews wasn't too bad. It had just been repainted ... including the towel rail & other bathroom furniture! Bodge job or what! The shower was actually very efficient, however, this does not really warrant any extra stars but ... what a relief!
I did have visions of Norman Bate's hotel when I took my shower though.
The hot water in the wash basin took a little while to come through.

Why doesn't an individual have a stab and make a proper hotel in this town, or dare I say it, a Super 8, National 9 or Motel 6 or suchlike do it. There's money to be made here. Or ... are there just enough desperate & weary travellers to keep this type of outfit going?

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank kingsleyronald
Reviewed 14 October 2009

This run down motel charges top rates and offers little in return. A cinder block building, the rugs had deep ripples so couldn't really be cleaned, the in wall A/C unit was noisy and everything looked like it was 60 years old, which it probably is. You can use a high speed computer in the small check in area (where you can see/hear the owner living) and it is right across the street from the only real (and ok) restaurant within miles). It is directly across from a RV park. Less than a mile away is a real motel, Whispering Sands, which is standard middle type hotel accomodations, for the same price. However, it can fill up early and after that there are not many options in Hanksville in tourist season.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hanksville
National 9 Inn
Duke's Slickrock Campground & RV Park
Sunlit Oasis
Sunlit Oasis
#6 of 8 in Torrey

Been to Hanksville Inn? Share your experiences!