“Amazing customer service”

Whispering Sands Motel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hanksville
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We had miscalculated our timing and arrived a day early. No hassles, got us great rooms and no penalty for changing dates. Rooms were clean and comfy. Really an oasis in the desert! As a small business owner I know how important customer service is and they have it hands down.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank NECowboy
dukjes, Manager at Whispering Sands Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Thank you so much for your kind review. We hope to see you again.

There are newer reviews for Whispering Sands Motel

Reviewed 2 September 2013

On our trip from Bryce Canyon National Park to Arches National Park, it became apparent that we would have to find a midway stop. And that brought us to Hanksville, Utah! We usually stay at a Hilton property, but there are none in Hanksville. However we found the Whispering Sands Motel, a small, clean, comfortable place to stay. Although the amenities are basic, I'd like to compliment them on their Wi-Fi coverage. We have been on the road for three weeks and this was absolutely the BEST Wi-Fi I experienced. Hilton, check with the Whispering Sands to see how it should be done!

Room Tip: The "cabins" are single floor and offer a little more privacy than the two story motel sec...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2013

If you find yourself in or passing through Hanksville, UT the place to stay is the "Whispering Sands Motel." I agree completely with the other good reviews. A very reasonable rate gets you a very nice room (I had a ground floor single queen). You will be pleasantly surprised and get more than you expect for a motel in such a remote southern Utah location. The customer service was excellent, professional, and very friendly. The 10% discount at "Stans Burger Shack" and "Duke's Slickrock Grill" got me in the door for a very good BBQ Brisket dinner and again, outstanding customer service and friendliness. Thank you for an awesome stay. I wish it could have lasted longer. I will be back again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Douglas N
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Hanksville is a very small town located near Capitol Reef NP and on the route to Lake Powell and the Whispering Sands is the best motel in town. I very much enjoyed my stay their the one night I set down in Hanksville. The room was spotlessly clean, had a nice flat screen TV, coffee maker, etc. Besides the cleanliness, the most important thing to me was the service I was given by the manager who allowed me to call my wife in Vancouver, WA on the motel's land line (and obviously their dime as well) shortly after my arrival. My cell phone is a prepaid one through Verizon and thus has no roaming. I'm sure my Mrs. would have been very worried had I not been able to reach her and let her know my day on my motorcycle had concluded in Hanksville safely. Thank you!!
Highly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Mike B
Reviewed 11 July 2013

I can confirm the good reviews. We arrived late, but had no problems getting our room which was clean, with comfortable beds, tv, microwave, coffee pot, hair dryer, mini fridge, and best of all, an efficient and effective a/c unit. We had a room in the single floor "cabin" section, which seems like it might be a better bet for quiet since there are no upstairs guests. Our two queen beds were comfortable and we all slept well. Clean bathroom had excellent hot water and water pressure. No complaints, except perhaps that the curtains are not shaded and allow a lot of light to come in from outside, both at night from the exterior lighting and in the morning from the sun. A sleep mask might be a good investment.

We slept too late for the continental breakfast next door, but did enjoy the discounted dinner at the affiliated (same owner) Duke's Slickrock Restaurant just down the road.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank El_Guapo_Pelu
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Spent only one night but was impressed. The room was clean the staff friendly and couldn't have asked for anything. Had the chance to do laundry and checking in and out was a breeze. The room had a fridge and TV and Internet.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 June 2013

We stayed one night at the Whispering Sands in June 2013 while in transit from Arches/Canyonlands to Capitol Reef/Bryce Canyon National Parks. Although the Whispering Sands is no Hilton resort, it was a reasonable priced, friendly, clean, comfortable room for a one-night stop over in a remote park of Utah.

During our trip planning it became obvious we would need to spend the night in Hanksville to bridge the gap between lodging in Moab and Bryce Canyon. A bit of research lead us to the Whispering Sands. We booked our reservation several months in advance on their website (nice feature, not a lot of small motels have an internet booking option). We paid $89 for our one night stop over. Booking in advance did require we make a deposit of the first night. On the downside unlike chain hotels the Whispering Sands has no grace canceling period. There is a 10% charge to cancel a reservation at anytime. We reserved one of the cabin rooms. I would recommend a cabin room since with the cabin rooms you can back you car right up to your door, if you choose a room in the motel you may have to haul you bags up stairs to the 2nd floor.

The room was clean but very basic and a bit small for our needs. We had a room with two queen beds and there was little spare room for a small table and two chairs. The sink was located outside the bathroom. We like this feature as in the morning someone can be using the sink while someone else is in the bathroom. Our only major complaint was the size of the bathroom (toilet and shower). It was small. It was difficult to enter the bathroom and close the door. I am 6'4" and 260 lbs. I had to press between the toilet and shower to get the door closed. The room also had a small refrigerator and microwave. Our unit had a wall a/c unit that was a bit noisey, but it did cover up te sound of other guests coming and going.

On arrival the staff was polite and friendly, no complaints. Being a small motel, the office is only open 3-11 PM, so in the morning you just drop you keys in a box before leaving. They did indicate if we had a problem we could call the office phone number and they would respond at any time (the staff lived onsite behind the office). We don't stay at many motels anymore, so the lightly staffed office (non 24 hour desk) was a bit different, but it seemed to work ok. We had no troubles so we never had to test the staff’s response to a phone call.

The motel offers a dinner discount and free breakfast at the Burger Shack located in the gas station next to the motel (maybe owned by the same people). We ate dinner and breakfast here. No big complaints the food was reasonably priced, ok quality and the staff friendly. Just like the motel the restaurant was not a high-end establishment, but adequate for a short stay.

After a short nights sleep we were on the road again by 7:00 AM.

All in all the Whispering Sands may not be enjoyable for a weeks stay, but as a place to lay your head on a one night stop over in a remote part of Utah, we think the Whispering Sands is a winner. Happy Travels!

Room Tip: Book a cabin room, they provide easier access from the parking lot.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank PzTravel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hanksville
Ticaboo Resort
Duke's Slickrock Campground & RV Park
Sunlit Oasis
Sunlit Oasis
#5 of 8 in Torrey

Been to Whispering Sands Motel? Share your experiences!