“Flighty Owner/Waitress/Cook/Bar Tender/YouGetTheIdea”

Cuisines: American
Park City, Utah
“Flighty Owner/Waitress/Cook/Bar Tender/YouGetTheIdea”
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Wow. This place is funny. Awkward entrance. Only 5 tables inside, plenty of seating outside. Coffeehouse/Bar area is tiny. Owner plays all roles... I believe she's literally the only one there, always. But she's trying.
The food is surprisingly good but it's a little pricey for what you get. The review that said this is like eating at a friend's kitchen nailed it.
We had 3 cocktails ($22). Focaccia pizza, nachos, a burger, and the chile verde. Good flavor all around.
Word of advice: because this restaurant is her operation, the owner/cook will take great offense if you send anything back. My chile verde enchurrito (that's what it's called on the menu) came out a watery mess. Although the flavor was good, the consistency and appearance of the dish was off-putting. My husband took the plate back to the bar (because service is nonexistent) and explained that everything else was good, but I could not enjoy my dish because of the wateriness. She was so incredibly offended, and what started as a rather fun, quirky dining experience fast became awkward. When we finally got our check and boxes, the owner said, "I can sell these All Day." I replied, "I'm sure you can, and the flavor was good, but I can't eat a swimming mess. It's a consistency thing." Yeah, she's still offended, I'm sure.
I don't know that I would go back. The little crazy dog barking at my one year old didn't help, and the huge old dog that ran my three year old over while we were trying to get seated, while sweet, was an unnecessary addition to a restaurant.
Best feature of the place is the Al Capone sandwich. Perfect balance of Italian meats, great bread, oil, and peppers. It's awesome.
I'm not saying don't go. Just be prepared.

• Visited September 2013

Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Like eating in a friend's kitchen”
Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

It does seem empty at first - one young guy was on his laptop in the garden area, so I went in. The owner was very talkative and accommodating too. She's Italian and feeds you like an Italian! Loading on the food - definitely not cutting any corners. Does take a bit to get food because she's taking orders, cooking, and serving all by herself. More like eating in a friend's messy kitchen than a cafe - definitely dirty and falling apart, but the food quality makes up for it.

• Visited August 2013
The Bay Area
“funky & cool”
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Driving through Heber City one is liable to getting that slightly creepy premonition one gets in Utah towns - of there being no chance of getting a decent coffee or a wholesome meal. TA saved the day (yet again). Sidetrack Cafe is hard to spot from the Main St as it is partially obscured by large trees and the main entrance is from the side. Yet when you get there is you see a large, shaded garden (with a tiny performance stage), cozy rooms with custom-made Western-style furniture and, good coffee and excellent food (hummus & sprouts, anyone?). I enjoyed talking to the owner who has made this place into the coolest spot in that speck of a town in the middle of nowhere. She is having to do most of the work herself (for those ingrates who criticize the waiting on food) but that is more than compensated for by the quality of the food and the atmosphere.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank kaioatey
Saratoga Springs, Utah
“A Fun Experience”
Reviewed 6 April 2013

We couldn't help visiting Sidetrack Cafe after reading the TA reviews. We visited on a Saturday afternoon for lunch. We wondered if perhaps the restaurant had closed down because there were no cars in the lot and we couldn't really tell if anyone was inside. We opened the door and found our way to a front counter and could hear someone in the back so we just checked out the menu and waited. She eventually heard us and came out (we hadn't tried to get her attention as we were still looking over the menu). I was really glad I had read reviews so I was prepared to wait and just enjoy the atmosphere. I loved the exterior of the restaurant and all of the iron decorations. It was a cute place.

It was a little pricey for lunch but what we didn't realize is that both of the things we had ordered would have easily been big enough to share! Holy smokes, my flatbread was huge. We ordered the chips and salsa and were so glad we did, they were a real highlight. Freshest chips we had ever had. The food was really good, the portions generous, and the owner was just a hoot :). I definitely recommend stopping by if you have a leisurely morning or afternoon and don't mind a wait for delicious freshly cooked to order food.

• Visited March 2013
Provo, Utah, United States
“A Heber treasure more should know about!”
Reviewed 6 February 2013

My daughter and I met in Heber for some business and wanted to find a good place for breakfast. The choices for a decent breakfast in Heber are slim but we happened on the Sidetrack and boy were we pleasantly surprised!! Yes, there is one person running the place so if you walk in and don't immediately see someone - holler! She'll make you her main focus. (It's annoying when people dis a place for something they could have easily fixed themselves, re: a recent review.)

I had a bagel breakfast sandwich - the bagel was huge, packed with seeds and goodies, filled with just-right cooked scrambled eggs, fresh mushrooms and spinach, smothered in Swiss cheese. It was heaven. My daughter had a breakfast croissant - eggs with bacon and cheddar. I had a bite. Wow. The woman knows how to cook! And she's chatty but in a good way - we enjoyed getting to know her.

After reading the other positive reviews I know we'll go back to try other offerings, especially since good dining choices are minimal in that town.

• Visited February 2013