“variety of ski slopes in 15 min drive”

Hyatt Place Salt Lake City/Cottonwood
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Holladay
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Totally satisfied and delighted with our stay at hyatt place cottonwood. what a great find.plenty of space , great breakfast options ,and super clean. we have stay in slope side hotels in deer valley vail and aspen that were 5 times the price and nowhere near as nice. we felt comfortable leaving ski equipment in vehicle .we also enjoyed staying at mid altitude which acclimated us to mountains without instant thin air headaches. this hotel has a young hard working staff that does it all . It is close to a variety of restaurants for all types of appetites . (we tried the porcupine,tuscany,and amici) We will be back to this hotel lovely.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Place Salt Lake City/Cottonwood

Reviewed 27 January 2014

Came with the family for three nights. Normally, we would stay downtown or in Park City when visiting SLC. However, Sundance and the Outdoor Retailer Conference ruled that out. We found the Hyatt Place in Cottonwood as a really nice alternative.

It is new.....let me repeat that.....new as in "I still smell the new construction" new. All surfaces are unmarred, no nicks, no stains, no funky pet odors or attempts to camouflage a prior smoking room. Ahhh...delightful!

The fitness center is equipped with latest LifeCycle ellipticals and treadmills. The spa is actually hot. Most hotels are afraid to crank up the water temp in their spas. It was refreshing that this one did.

Service was consistently on the ball. Every encounter with the front desk (called the "Gallery") was warm and friendly. Housekeepers and other service employees were diligent in their duties. No slacking was evident. Public areas were kept clean - even with the constant parade of snow boots.

My only gripes with the property were (1) the bed quality is not up to the caliber of SPG (even lower levels like Sheraton) or full service Marriott properties. Bed linens are subpar. Since this was consistent with my other experience in a Hyatt Place property, I'll chalk that up to a brand standard. (2) the HVAC was quirky. It didn't properly read the ambient room temp and was either too cold or too hot. At night we turned it off because it was too loud.

There is an above-average Taquiria next door. For ski rentals, the Powder House shares the same parking lot and offers new gear.

In summary, if you need a good, clean, convenient hotel near the Cottonwood ski areas, you'll be very happy with this option.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 January 2014

This hotel is in a PERFECT location close to restaurants, movie theaters, ski resorts, golf, and the freeway. It's nestled up in the mountainside and is the perfect place for a romantic get away. The service and hospitality was top notch. We would stay there again without even thinking twice about it. The cost was definitely worth every penny. The bed was great, food was great (big breakfast included), pool and hot tub were warm right in the midst of the winter season, service was awesome, and hotel was soooo clean. Stay here if you're thinking about it!!!!

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 25 January 2014

My son and I stayed here while he was in a tennis tournament. Everything was great. The room, the lobby, the food selection with the grab and go and their restaurant-like service and selection. What stood out the most was their costumer service. Everyone was pleasant and welcoming. Clearly, the Hyatt trains their staff well. Would go back there again next time I am in Salt Lake.

Room Tip: Stayed in two different rooms: one on 1st floor and then on 4th floor. No problem with either one.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 January 2014

I came to SLC for business. Got this place recommended by my local colleagues. I never stayed at Hyatt Place, so I did not what to expect. The first impression when you get into the property is very positive. The place is modern and very nicely decorated. The lobby area and the restaurant are very cozy and welcoming especially when it is freezing outside.

The room is modern, spacious and very comfortable. It offers very good sleep quality if your room is NOT facing the roads, but the parking lot. Some of you may find the outer rooms to noisy, so did I, but I'm somewhat sensitive to noise.

The bathroom equipment with spacious shower is also modern and super convenient.

What are the improvement point:
1. The breakfast is free, but fairly limited. They offer kind of prepared sandwiches and pretty much that repeats itself every day. Staying there few days, I would prefer a regular breakfast with some changes from day to day.
2. There is no real bar or dinner option on-site. You can order food and they it is freshly cooked, but very limited choice at fast food quality.

The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. I would definitely want to stay here in my next trip.

Room Tip: If you need quiet to sleep well ask for a room that is not facing the roads outside.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Ron A
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Found my hotel in SLC. I have had very bad experiences with hotels here but I'm finally happy.
The lobby is inviting, the front desk staff is friendly, not overtly happy which I hate. Since it's a non-smoking hotel it smells great! The hotel is fairly new so the decor is very nice and the rooms are implacably clean.
Wifi works with no problems, TV is great, bed is amazingly comfortable.
I only hope that they keep up the standards, cleanliness and overall appearance. If they do I will without a doubt come back whenever I'm in town.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 January 2014

This is a very nice, new hotel. But I slept really poorly both nights I stayed. The air handler in the room is absurdly noisy. I didn't complain to the desk, because there's nothing the staff could to as far as I can tell its a design issue.
I guess Hyatt corp decided for new Hyatt Place hotels to install an oversized, apartment style furnace a/c unit that disrupted my sleep each time it roared to life. Even my neighbor's unit cycling on sounded like an 18 wheeler idling in the parking lot. I'd stayed in an older Hyatt Place in Denver last year and liked it fine, don't recall any heat or a/c noise problem.
OK, that said, the bed was great - so comfortable! Bath was modern and nice, wifi and tv worked well. I used the pool and hot tub, very nice after a day on the slopes.
Breakfast was alright. Selection seemed a bit sparse, but I liked the egg & spinach hot bagels, and the fresh fruit. The conveyor toaster barely toasted an english muffin - 3 passes and still pale! The coffee also seemed weak.
Staff was very nice, though housekeeping seemed overwhelmed.
They Hyatt Place concept is great, this location is really good for skiers in the Cottonwood resorts (and even to Canyons was maybe 30 mins). The taqueria across the parking lot was good, too.
As I titled this, I wanted to love it. But I'm very shy of any further Hyatt Place stays (at least at this or other new-design properties) with the new airco units. Why the spec'd such big noisy units for 300 sq ft rooms is beyond me. If corporate reads reviews, I hope they see this one!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holladay
Residence Inn Salt Lake City Cottonwood
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Salt Lake City-Fort Union
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Salt ...
#21 of 75 in Salt Lake City
Hyatt House Salt Lake City/Sandy
Crystal Inn Hotel & Suites Midvalley - Murray
Hampton Inn & Suites Salt Lake City/University-Foothill Dr.
Home2 Suites by Hilton Salt Lake City - East
Home2 Suites by Hilton Salt Lake...
#12 of 75 in Salt Lake City

Been to Hyatt Place Salt Lake City/Cottonwood? Share your experiences!