“Inadequete heating”

Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Hurricane
Ithaca, New York
“Inadequete heating”
Reviewed 23 December 2011

We should have realized something was wrong at the reception counter. Lady at reception quoted us a cheap price that made us drive back from 30 min away. When we checked in the price was more expensive. We were too lazy/tired to go somewhere else. Room was completely unheated when we got there, and the heater was so weak it took >2 hours before we could be comfortable without our winter jackets. At night, the heater could not keep up with the cold outside and the room became uncomfortably cold. Had to sleep in extra layers because I didn't want to cause a din at 3am. Do not recommend.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank H C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
BC
Reviewed 14 November 2011

The hotel itself is in pretty poor shape. We saw exterminators going through the rooms the day we arrived. The beds were tired, the pool was freezing, the woman at the front (who appeared to be the manager) didn't seem to care about her guests, and although the breakfast was ok (squeeze parkay margarine for waffles??), there was very little seating for the number hotel guests. There are some newer chain motels closer to the Walmart and i would recommend staying there instead.

1 Thank 3sunseekers
Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed 9 November 2011

Very clean, affordable, and liked that it was across the street from the police station. Make your own waffles for breakfast which was great as well. Very good value. The lady at the front desk was not particularly friendly, but we arrived around 10PM. All in all, a great value at a very clean hotel. Thanks!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
McGregor, Minnesota
Reviewed 2 November 2011

We stopped here on our way to Zion National Park -- service was very friendly, room was nice and clean, and the price was absolutely right. Close to restaurants and other services.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Cincinnati
Reviewed 31 October 2011

This hotel served its purpose as a place to regroup and organize our luggage for the trip home. Comfortable and affordable. Easy walk to a few restaurants and the movie theatre if you so desire.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Spring
Reviewed 27 October 2011

I arrived after 11 this morning hoping for an early check in to my reservation, because I had been driving all night long. From the start the woman at the desk was unbelievably rude. I was standing at the counter a couple minutes before she walked up, she angrily asked what I wanted. I told her I had a reservation and asked would it be possible for an earlier check in. She said check in is at 2. I again asked if an earlier check in would be possible. She then says CANT YOU READ THE SIGN???? I didn't reply to that. She then says rudely "YOU HAVE DOGS!" Yes, I do, as it says on my reservation... "WELL WE'LL CHARGE YOU $20 EACH PER NIGHT!!!" I have never dealt with someone like this in all of the hotels that I have stayed in, and I am on the road more than I am home. I told the woman to just cancel my reservation, I would be staying somewhere else. She then tauntingly adds "WE'LL STILL CHARGE YOUR CARD! YOU HAVE TO CANCEL 24HRS EARLIER!". I then just walked out. If that's the way this hotel treats there customers, its a wonder to me that they are still in business! To make matters worse, I just checked the website and I had until 6 pm today to cancel, so on top of being rude, the woman is a liar that took my money. Avoid this place at all costs. For the record, Holiday Inn Express down the road has a 4pm check in, but they still managed to accommodate me with friendly service.

3 Thank adventuredog79
Canada
Reviewed 20 October 2011

The hotel was quite full when we arrived for a 3 night stay. We were given a room that was the closest to the ice machine, so noise from the machine and passers by. Not everything in the room was working. No other rooms available that night. We asked if we could move to another room for the additional 2 nights and we were quickly and promptly accomodated the next morning. The second room was upstairs and was much nicer. It had lamps that worked and seemed to have more light and a little less worn.
The room itself was fine. It is inexpensive, so you do not get anything fancy but it did have a small refrigerator and microwave so we were able to eat in one evening. The bed and bathroom were clean but the carpet was a dark colour and dirty. Don't wear white socks or they will soon be black.
The breakfast was horrible. Poor coffee, poor juice, some bread and english muffins for toasting and a waffle maker. The toast accompaniments were a tube (yes a tube) of cheap margarine and tubes of sweet jelly/jam.
We had our own coffee and had that in the room and bought some peanut butter to put on the toast for flavor and protein.
All in all it was cheap and met our basic needs.

1 Thank CJay_10
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hurricane
EconoLodge
#2 of 6 in Hurricane
La Quinta Inn & Suites La Verkin - Gateway to Zion
Best Western Plus Zion West Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Washington

Been to Super 8 Hurricane Zion National Park? Share your experiences!