“Hiking is Incredible”

Red Mountain Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ivins
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I've been to most spa resorts in the states and I think Red Mountain is a good buy. The accomodations have been updated and the meals were good. Not the best spa cuisine I've had, but still good enough. The classes were not as plentiful as I like, but still good. The hiking, however, takes the cake. No other spa, not Miraval, not Canyon Ranch, can match the hikes at this spa. There are three levels, but even the mid-level challenges and thrills you.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank dockel

Reviewed 20 April 2012

Just got back from my 5 night trip to Red Mt Resort. My third visit (2004, 2008 previously). Flew into St George for first time, Resort picked me up at airport (30 mins to resort). Much better experience than flying into Vegas & shuttle service. This was a solo trip, stayed in Dragonfly (previosly stayed in villas which were beautiful). Pricing was great for solo trip. Dragonfly not as nice as villas, but worked out fine for my needs. Bed comfy, shower excellent. Not in the room much. Everyone on staff excellent & friendly. Hiked (two new hikes, one repeat ... never grow tired of Snow Canyon views). Hiking guides very knowledgeable & accommodate the groups of 10 or less hikers every need. Biked to Kayenta and did solo ride in the area on bike path before I left. Stretching classes, DRUMS Alive, Gentle Yoga, Nordic Walking all good classes. Food was excellent, I think it's improved since my last visit. Also attend a few "health" sessions and cooking demo. Seems like the resort is trying to caterer to guests from outside Utah. Better wine & beer selection with lunch & dinner. Able to take an adult beverage to room now (past visits it wasn't allowed). Knowledgeable, friendly professional staff. The outfitter store has improved selection, they now get that their visitors come in all shapes & sizes and have expanded their offerings. Can't wait to book my next trip. Thanks Red Mt.

Room Tip: Some of the older buildings (non-Villas) are a little less glamourous, but very worth the value. Wi...
3  Thank TravelSolo04
Reviewed 19 April 2012

I just returned from a (too short) 3 night stay at Red Mountain and it certainly met, and in some places, exceeded my expectations. Because I had thouroughly read the reviews here I think my expectations were very reasonable. I had also looked at going to Miraval and Canyon Ranch so I expected "less posh" for less money at Red Mountain. Having said that, I stayed in a villa king room and it was very nice. No, not "fancy" but a very nice bathroom with soaking tub, plenty of space to spread out at the vanity, great fireplace to soothe me after a long day. I also didn't hear a THING! I'm a light sleeper so that is pretty amazing. And when I asked for firmer pillows , they were brought instantly. One fellow traveler told me she complained the mastress was too soft ( mine was fine) and they replaced her mattress with a firmer one! Now that is customer service. However, at checkout, I found the service very curt. No," how was your stay?" or "thanks so much for staying with us". Thats a shame but I was still glowing from a great 3 days and didn't care that much. But others might!

The food was plentiful and pretty healthy. I would have loved a more exciting salad bar but I can still taste the delicious black bean hummus. I'm pescatarian who is limiting dairy and I had no problem finding plenty of options. In addition to a more exciting salad bar I would love to see fresh squeezed juices and homemade granola at breakfast and maybe for the salad bar some fresh sliced avocado, raw nut selection, baked tofu, etc.

I really enjoyed my classes- all the teachers were well trained and energetic. I especially enjoyed drums alive, core conditioning, sleep/meditation with Ian, stretching at the end of each day. I also worked out in the fitness room and thought it had the perfect amount of space and equipment.

I had one massage at the spa while I was there. I would rate it very good but not amazing. I thought the spa itself was fine but nothing making it over the top special. I used the steam room and enjoyed sitting in comfortable chairs gazing at the mountains.

Because I'm a late riser on vacation with no kids, I would have loved a morning hike option to start at 9. This time of year its not too hot so they could manage it but perhaps there is little demand. Regardless, I ended up just doing solo hikes which was fine too.

Relaxing by the villa pool by day and sitting in the jacuzzi at night was just what I needed.

I highly recommend this place for a great solo, girls, or couples getaway. Note though that one solo guy in his 30's mentioned to me that although he was having fun, the place certainly needs more testosterone :)

I hope to return next year or sooner.

Room Tip: I loved my top floor room in the villas- elk building. Super quiet, nice location, great size for 1...
4  Thank wldtravelr
Reviewed 18 April 2012

I just got back from spending a week at the Red Mountain Resort. There were wonderful daily guided hikes, delicious food, the room was very nice, a variety of exercise classes was offered, and in fact, everything was great except my experience with the spa services.

I'll let you decide whether it's an issue or not:

I felt the spa misrepresented the massage times and the massages are not cheap! For example, I paid for what was advertised as a 70 minute massage but my name was called right after 7:00 and I was back in the locker room by 8:13. The 73 minutes included being greeted by the massage therapist, walking down a flight of stairs and down the hall to the massage room, the explanation of the massage, getting prepared for the massage, waiting for the massage therapist to reenter the room, the actual massage, again a little chitchat at the end, getting dressed, paying for the massage, and walking back upstairs to the locker room. I have regular massages and the massage therapists have always counted the "fingers on" time as the massage time. Possibly the reason the spa adds a mandatory 15% tip is because the therapists would not earn 15% if left to the discretion of the client.

8  Thank ragbrai-biker
TWelshGeneralMgr, General Manager at Red Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2012

Dear Ragbrai Biker,
Thank you for writing about your concern with your service at Sagestone Spa & Salon. Indeed, your experience should not have been rushed. Our 15% gratuity is added for our guests convenience and is always an option, and I apologize if it was not presented in this fashion. I appreciate that we have your feedback to give us the opportunity to improve. If you are riding Ragbrai this year - enjoy your ride across Iowa, and I wish you good weather!

Reviewed 16 April 2012

Returned a few weeks ago from a 4-day stay at Red Mountain. I had a Single Dragonfly room overlooking the red rocks. The morning hikes were great, the company (other travelers) were friendly, and the buffets for breakfast and lunch offered lots of options for a healthy, filling meal. I had two spa services: a massage and a facial, both were very good.

The stretching classes were also great... I was never sore from the hiking.

I would recommend Red Mountain to anyone, but it's especially great for solo travelers.

All in all a great energizing yet relaxing stay.

3  Thank dmkelley123
Reviewed 11 April 2012

This was my second visit and I found Red Mountain even better than it was a few years ago -- efficient and friendly check-in, rooms a little spiffier, and great variety of fitness classes. Outstanding hiking opportunities, and healthy food.
It is remarkable how many of our fellow guests were multi-repeat visitors - one woman was on her tenth visit !
The staff were very responsive to questions and feedback.
Now that a new aiport has opened in St George, it might be easier to get to than flying to Las Vegas.

Room Tip: The larger suites are much more comfortable than the rather cramped standard rooms, if you want to...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Spadina2
TWelshGeneralMgr, General Manager at Red Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2012

Thank you very much for your Trip Advisor remarks. As first impressions are very important, we know our challenge is to make your repeat stays, even better than the first. I do hope we have the honor of serving you in the future. Tracey Welsh

Reviewed 10 April 2012

Just returned from a 4 day stay there over the Easter weekend. I hope to make it an annual trip. Weather was in the low - mid 40's in the mornings, at the start of the morning hikes. Shortly into the hikes I was stripped down abit. Afternoons were in the 50 - 60 range, I think Sunday it was in the 70's, I used the outdoor hot tub and dried off on a hammock in the sun.

I was on the level 1 hikes (easiest) and had problems at times hiking in the canyon. So if you have hip, knee problems, are over weight or out of shape beware. Maybe make sure you are in shape, take braces etc. No one else in my group had problems keeping up but I was probably the oldest (60) in the group. The pound puppy hike was easy (flat surfaces along a path on the edge of the red mountains that was used for dog walking, jogging. I had a wonderful dog that I walked with.

The highlight for me was MEET the Mustangs.

The Easter morning hike with Ginny, a Navajo, was very spiritual and soul satisfying. The terrain itself, in the canyon, was a bit of a challenge for me. Uneven terrain and slippery slopes at times.

The food was wonderful. Breakfast buffet had a wide variety to choose from. I had duck or bison for dinner most nights.

Room Tip: I was in the Dragonfly building meant for solo travelers, on the first floor facing the canyon. The...
2  Thank Sandy46649

Thanks for taking the time to write about your Red Mountain experience. Many of our guests make this an annual journey to renew and relax....and we're appreciative that you may be one of them!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ivins
Inn on the Cliff
Red Lion Hotel & Conference Center St. George
The INN at St.George
The INN at St.George
#38 of 43 in St. George

Been to Red Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!