“Perfection”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ivins
Smiths Station, Alabama, United States
“Perfection”
Reviewed 3 January 2013

I attended a group event at the Red Mountain Resort but will take advantage of every opportunity in the future to return. There is a large range of activities for both men and women and the area, with guided hikes available is incredibly beautiful. The landscape changes as the sun moves across the sky and the views in all directions are breathtaking. The spa offers a wide range of reasonably priced services with professional and friendly staff. All staff are highly professional, friendly, and helpful. My package included three meals a day at the Canyon Breeze, their on site restaurant, and each meal was exquisite. I will return as soon as I can.

Room Tip: They offer "mountain view" rooms as an option. I did not have one but you really don'...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Elizabeth H
TWelshGeneralMgr, General Manager at Red Mountain Resort, responded to this review, 7 January 2013
Hello Elizabeth,

Thank you so very much for your kind words. We do look forward to having you join us again!
Tracey Welsh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
Reviewed 2 January 2013

I bought a deal on living social after hearing about this place from a colleague. I invited my sister to make it a New Year's sister get-a-way. I decided ahead of time to upgrade to a villa. The two queen villa was spacious with a beautiful bathroom with a stone and glass shower and separate whirlpool tub. The robes are gloriously fuzzy and warm and cozy. There was a beautiful fireplace and large flatscreen TV. You can rent DVDs from the guest registration area if you want a cozy night in with your favorite flick. Housekeeping could have been better as we ran out of toilet paper twice, had no coffee pot, and when we asked for a coffee pot the one brought was dirty with burnt coffe in the pot and a dirty coffee grain filter area. Other than that, the room was spotless and housekeeping even left wine glasses when they noticed we bought wine.

Now enough of that! The real star of the show at Red Mountain is the landscape and what lies within it. Whether you choose to do a guided hike, a morning meditation among the red rocks, horseback riding, or any other adventure... you are guaranteed to have an amazing experience and feel inspired. You might also feel darn proud of yourself! The guides have a way of adapting to your fitness level and makng you feel fulfilled and proud whether you are running an endurance trail or huffing and puffing up a petrified sand dune. I was inspired seeing a range of adrenaline junkies to very novice outdoor adventurers all sharing excitement and enthusiasm for the beauty and adventure and all being able to find something that fit their fitness level. The guides seem to magically show you things you thought you would never see and help you climb things you would think would take forever but still have you back by 11 am so you can make your spa treatment, yoga class or just dig in to lunch right away!

Finally, the food is fabulous!

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Ronda S
TWelshGeneralMgr, General Manager at Red Mountain Resort, responded to this review, 2 January 2013
Hello Ronda S,
Thank you for your review of Red Mountain Resort, and I am glad to read that you had fun hiking and meeting other guests. I do apologize the for the housekeeping oversights, and we will reach out to you to discuss further.

Happy Healthy New Year! Tracey Welsh
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 30 December 2012

My sister took me to Red Mountain for my 50th birthday this past spring and what a terrific gift! The food was incredible, the staff friendly and encouraging and genuine. We stayed in a villa double queen suite overlooking the second pool and it was lovely. Our only quibble? The housekeeping was lackadaisical at best. There is a huge variety of activities to choose from every day - truly something for everyone. A wonderful mix of relaxation and exercise - have been recommending it to all female colleagues and friends. Would go back in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: The villas are a little farther from the action, but really lovely.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank mallory2
Dear Mallory

What a wonderful sister, and Happy Birthday to you! I am glad that you enjoyed your time with us and I hope we will get the honor of your return. I do apologize for our housekeeping oversights and if you would like to discuss them further, I would be happy to contact you. Feel free to email me directly at twelsh@redmtn.com.

Happy Healthy New Year - Tracey Welsh
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 20 December 2012

This destination resort spa ranks very high on the list when it comes to value for the dollar.
The resort is newer and kept clean, the rooms could use a little updating but are just fine for the price. The staff is very friendly and professional. Try having lunch with one of the many featured practitioners at the group table, and sign up for a session if you think it can be beneficial too you. I had a chance to speak with the Rakie healer Bud in his off time, he is a very good person that had many good things to say to me, I bet his healing sessions are awesom.
The spa is a dome shaped building filled with all the spa treatments you could ask for, every treatment I had was great. This is the place to stay if you like hiking, they offer many levels as well as mountain biking. This is also a good place to have a girls get away or just come solo to relax and repair, body and soul. Enjoy !

Room Tip: Dragon Fly solo for the value. Villa for a splurge.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Brian45992
TWelshGeneralMgr, General Manager at Red Mountain Resort, responded to this review, 22 December 2012
We are delighted that you found a good value at Red Mountain Resort, and we hope to see you in the future. I am glad that you mentioned "Lunch with a Professional" as it is a great way to have your questions answered before committing to a treatment or experience. Tracey Welsh
Northern California
Reviewed 1 December 2012

This was my first trip to the all inclusive Red Mountain Resort. It turned out to be an interesting (and great!) vacation. I flew into Las Vegas and drove up to St George, UT. I expected the drive to be boring but it was nothing less than spectacular. The highway passes through a river gorge which is breathtaking and worth the 1.5 hour drive. The resort is nestled in the foot of Snow Canyon and the vistas are wonderful. I spent a week hiking and climbing, doing yoga, zumba, stretch classes, life coach sessions, meditation, astonomy class, and many more interesting sessions. It was exactly the type of vacation that I badly needed! It is perfect for the solo traveler as you can choose to sit at the "community table" for dinner every evening. The food was great and plentiful. I made some great friends there and plan on returning soon.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank TravelingGirl52
TWelshGeneralMgr, General Manager at Red Mountain Resort, responded to this review, 4 December 2012
Hello Traveling Girl, and thank you for writing your review. I am glad that you mentioned the drive from Las Vegas, as I think it is truly spectacular, and a great way to unwind from travel to get ready for a healthy get-away. We are always putting new activities on our schedule, and I hope that we will see you again soon. Have Happy Holidays, Tracey Welsh
Reviewed 26 November 2012

This was my first time staying at the Red Mountain and I was very impressed overall with the resort. The location is steps away from the entrance at Snow Canyon state park with hiking trails galore. You might be trying to make the decision whether to book a package or a la carte t trip to Red Mountain. Hopefully this review will help.

Package pros:

1. All meals included at Canyon Breeze restaurant. Lunch would be $17/pp and dinner would be $35/pp for a la carte guests. Food was delicious, healthy, and varied.
2. All fitness classes are included for package guests (value $35/pp per class)
3. Bike rentals are included ($35/pp)
4. Hiking trips are included in package (value $79)
5. In Ivins you are pretty isolated so if you don't have a car, Red Mountain is your main eating and entertainment option. If you are on a health plan, Red Mountain is your healthiest food option in the area.
6. Restaurant has great ambiance - there is outdoor seating, fireplace seating, and nightly entertainment. I really enjoyed the musical guest, Hal Stead

Package cons:

1. Because all meals were included I did not feel right about getting take-out from Canyon Counter (mochas, etc...) and that looked pretty good too.
2. Money saved could go toward other excursions (horseback riding) that are not included
3. Tipping is not included
4. Wine, beer, speciality coffee drinks are not included
5. On third day it started feeling like camp - seeing the same people, going through the same buffet line, etc...
6. As mentioned in previous reviews, quality of fitness classes was variable. You may benefit more from a long run around the property or using the weight room if you are training for a race. Many of the fitness classes conflicted with one another in the afternoon (2:30-4:15).

Other comments related to experience at Red Mountain:

Atmosphere: Finding better views in a more serene setting would be hard to find! Lovely resort and grounds. Comfortable dress was acceptable.

Service: We found fitness instructors to be friendly and helpful. Servers at Canyon Restaurant were very attentive and provided exceptional service. However, the front desk and hostess station lacked a "can do" attitude. When we checked in we were placed in a lower room category than we paid for (600 sq ft vs. 1100 sq ft villa we had booked). When we brought this to the attention of the 2 female front desk attendants they were apathetic and not very helpful in locating another room. Fortunately when we came back a 3rd time, Matt helped us get the right room category and my husband's birthday was acknowledged. We felt that more information could have been provided upon check-in regarding the tipping policy, etc...

Recommendations for the resort: Please post instructor names for each class and highlight instructors more on website. Try to avoid having too many classes conflict with each other. Restrict children (especially babies) at the resort. We heard babies crying from our room and we were of the impression this was an adult-oriented resort. Kids were running around the restaurant and buffet area coughing on the food. Consider putting ingredients or nutritional information on items beyond the hot items section. For example, what is the caloric and sugar content of the prickly pear salad dressing (delicious). Cleaniness of resort compared to other 5-star resorts was not up to par. Finger prints around bathrooms and common areas, fitness equipment in aerobics room was not clean, etc...

Reasons why you should stay here: This resort is delightful. The food was lovely. We especially enjoyed the trout with almonds and the ginger pancakes as well as the ravioli. We were excited to see Cafe Ibis (local) coffee. Nice variety of teas.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
14 Thank dreamtravelreviewer
NY
Reviewed 25 November 2012

This is a nice resort. I had been there in the past, and they are clearly working hard to improve all around. I enjoyed my last visit, early 2010, a lot, but did not really like the room I had (see some other reviews below). Both visits were for 5 or more nights. The hotel rooms are not terrific and need to be renovated and generally revamped. This time I stayed in the "villas", in a one room one, and it was great. Much more space, and for someone staying more than 2 nights, they really are the better room. They have a nice reading chair, desk, outside balcony area.
The spa is very nice, steam room, dressing room etc. The masseures vary in skills and ability though, so do some research or ask friends for names before you go if you can.
Breakfast is at 7 am, which is later than I would expect, and I was not the only one. With so many people from the east coast they could consider opening at 6:30 I think. The oats, fruit, yogurt etc is all very good. The hot food seems to vary by day, both in choice and in actual flavor.
Lunch is buffet style, and I found it to be good each day. Fajita day may be the best though (seems to be Tuesdays).
Dinner has some choices, I was with a vegetarian, and they felt a little limited. I did not have any trouble, and found the daily evenning specials to be tasty. I find it an interesting menu, but did find the dessert menu a little redundant by the 4th night.
I did a package while there so it was all inclusive. I met someone who was going a la carte, and could see the benefit in that if you plan to do alot on your own. I prefer the guided hikes, not having to think about meals etc.
The hikes and classes are good. It would be nice if they encouraged people to be on time though as those that are on time always end up waiting for those that are not, so classes and hikes start late, slightly annoying to those on time.
I'll go back, but I'll stay in a villa, and Ill look for bargains on line, as I met people who had the same room and package I had for a lot less than I spent. Perhaps they will match on line deals so they get all the revenue.
Also, I think a car could be useful there, although you dont have to have one. The shop on the resort is pricey, so try to bring all you will need. Would have been nice to visit a drugstore one day for some choices and perhaps better pricing.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank vacationsNY
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ivins
Inn on the Cliff
La Quinta Inn & Suites St. George
Clarion Suites
Clarion Suites
#11 of 41 in St. George

Been to Red Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!