“Nice Adventure Trip”

Red Mountain Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ivins
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Our first time at this type of "resort/spa/adventure" property. We stayed for 4 nights on the ala carte plan. We had a car and did not want to be committed to resort dinning or schedule and also wanted to take in other sights. The property is remote, so you're committed without your own transportation. We were in the rabbit bldg. second floor #525.

We met several solo and repeat guest so that speaks well of the destintation.

Pros
The area is beautiful and is accessible to comfortable hiking trails.
5 mins. drive or bike to Snow Canyon State Park ($6 entry)
Loved the adventure trips, did the canyoneering and loved every minute
Sagestone Spa is wonderful, it is one of the best spas' we been too
Service is friendly and professional
Menu is true to spa food offerings....but quality may not always deliver

Cons
Regular rooms are narrow and the lighting is not sufficient for reading (even with 3 lamps)
Found the food disappointing cause it was always lukewarm/cold. We starting dinning off site.
Infrequency of class/adventure offerings means you may have skip one for another

Other tips
Closest town is St. George which is 10 mins drive. Which offers more dinning options (highly reocommend the Painted Point restaurant !!) and Starbucks.
Kayenta Art Village is a wonderful day trip 15 mins drive and has a nice lunch spot "Xetava Garden Cafe"
It is an EZ drive from Las Vegas to Ivins takes about 2 1/4 hours and offers a nice surprise through the canyon from NV to AZ.
No wine sales in Utah, except at restaurants so pack your wine and opener.

Overall we had a nice time and might try staying here again, but will switch to a villa (brighter and nicer) and will probably go ala carte, unless there is a subtantial improvement in the food quality.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
TWelshGeneralMgr, General Manager at Red Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

Hello 2 MarcoPolos

Love your screen name! Glad that you enjoyed your adventure at Red Mountain Resort. We appreciate that you took the time to list your pros and cons. We give props to Painted Pony & Xetava Gardens too!

Tracey Welsh, General Manager

Reviewed 15 October 2013

My sisters and I stayed in the two br villa at Red Mtn Resort in October, 2013.

Red Mountain is gorgeous including hiking paths throughout the property and leading off property to Snow Canyon for additional hiking challenges and spectacular views. There are peaceful locations throughout the resort for quiet time.

The activity schedule is packed with options offered to make your stay as active as you wish. With a short 3 night stay it was difficult to choose our activities because there were SO MANY GREAT ACTIVITIES! But we managed to hike, kayak, paddleboard yoga, horseback ride in the canyon, bicycle into Kayenta (an artists town) and canyon view yoga. And there were about 8 other activities we wished we could fit in! Like MEET the mustangs, canyoneering, rock climbing and rappelling!!

The spa is serene and offers the services of highly trained therapists and aestheticians. We enjoyed massage treatments, facials, mani/pedi's and body wraps. I experienced the BEST FACIAL EVER with Michella! And Everett delivered a spectacular lava/seaweed body wrap including the table Vichy shower. I enjoyed the steam room every day of our stay too.

The villa was huge and comfortable with an incredible view! One bedroom held 2 queen beds and the other held a king bed. Comfy mattresses and lots of pillows. Each room had a fireplace and flatscreen tv (which never got turned on!), ceiling fans and lots of closet space. the bathrooms were spacious with deep jetted kohler bathtubs and separate glass enclosed showers, double sinks and a separate water closet.

The living room joined the bedroom suites and we had a huge soft comfy sectional to relax on in front of the fireplace while looking out the floor to ceiling sliding glass at the red rock mountains. The kitchen is fully stocked with service for 4, coffee maker, wine glasses (bring your own corkscrew!), microwave and mini fridge. Water is stocked for all of your adventures and spa water is available at different locations on the grounds to refill.

The dining! OH THE DINING! Several healthful selections and each one as tasty as the next. Breakfast, lunch and dinner were flavorful and filling. Available at convenient hours for all travelers. After fun activities or spa treatments it feels so good to be greeted by great tasting dining and not feel laden with heavy foods at the same time feeling satisfied and full. I'm certain this is the very first vacation taken where I've eaten so well and not gained a single pound, in fact coming home a couple pounds lighter. In four days that's quite an accomplishment done in a healthy manner!

My sister's and I had such a fantastic time at Red Mountain Resort we will return for another visit, maybe with the guys next time!

I have to add that this is a great SOLO travelers dream destination! There were several solo travelers and Red Mountain is tailored for solo or group travelers. We met many guests in our duration and had a great time with everyone.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I love Red Mountain. I just came back from 2 weeks there - 4th time in 4 years. I go primarily to help move the needle on my weight loss goals. The setting is incomparable. The staff is phenomenal. The trainers are the best. (I worked with Rebecca 4 times in my 2 weeks and she was inspirational and challenging - perfect combination). The classes are challlenging for me but also fun and very non-judgmental. Everybody works at his/her own level and the instructors are super-supportive. There is a tremendous array of activities. The villas are beautifully designed and quiet. But there are three areas that I think are just shy of perfection. I spend a lot of time at the gym and the cardio equipment could be significantly improved. Beyond treadmills there is very little to choose from. It is not close to the level of everything else at the resort. The food is very good but lunches range from so-so to excellent. And other guests told me that the air conditioners in the regular rooms are still super-noisy - which is what led me to the villas in the first place. I have no interest in going elsewhere - and that's mainly because of how amazing the staff is...but the management needs to spend a little money to make the resort even better.

Room Tip: The Villas are a little more expensive but so much nicer than the regular rooms and so mich quieter
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I came back from this holiday completely rejuvenated. The morning hikes were spectacular. The food was amazing!!! I have celiac disease and there were more than enough food choices. The staff could not do enough for you. There is so much to do that we couldn't get it all in. Which means we are definitely going to go back. I have been on many trips, but by far this has been my favorite!!!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2013 via mobile

Just an excellent experience all around the past 5 days of excellent dining, outdoor hiking, biking, kayaking, riding, yoga, pilates etc... The massage therapists at the spa are on par with any top spas around the world. The location is on the edge of Snow Canyon and the area is just seriously serene. Healthy living in the desert was just what we needed. Highly recommend for couples or solo. The service is the exceptional from every staff member we encountered.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 2 October 2013

The first part of this year was a rough one, so I was looking for a Fall trip where I could relax and get my mental game recharged. Mission accomplished. If you fly into St. George, you'll be greeted by a friendly shuttle service by the Resort that will take you there directly. Once there, the biggest thing I noticed? The quiet. ahhh. The resort gives you so many options of things to do, super active to nothing at all. I would say their daily hikes are a 'signature' item to take advantage of in the morning, follow that up with a stretch class afterwards and you have already accomplished alot by 12noon! I loved all the hammocks throughout the resort, and being able to read by book in different surroundings. The wi-fi signal so you can still stay in touch with the world [on mute ;)], while maintaining a level of compete relaxation. I recommend doing a package where the food and classes are covered. If you are going a la carte. Save your $ in particular for dinner! Great menu changes everyday. The spa is also worth a visit. While I did this trip solo with zero issues, I will be back with friends next year. Only reason this is not five rating is, to echo others, the a/c units need to be upgraded to central air for ALL rooms. It's the desert, so I slept with my windows open at night, but the systems are quite loud and I could see light sleepers having issues.

Room Tip: Ask what buildings have central a/c, and go for those rooms first!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank HHdreamin
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I approached my vacation at Red Mountain Resort with excitement and a little trepidation. Would I be able to keep up? Would it be too rustic for me? But I have to say, I loved almost every aspect. First the plusses, of which there were many.

The food was stellar (and all-inclusive), and the few people who complained about the offerings either experienced Red Mountain too long ago, or are unable to be satisfied. The options are tremendous. Yes, most of the salad bar options (of which there are a bounty) stay the same every day, but that's like complaining that a restaurant only offers the same 40 menu items all the time. Breakfast was hearty and had whatever a person could want: fruit, dry (if organic and fancy-shmancy) cereal with a ridiculous number of milk options, breads, oatmeal with numerous topics, eggs in a variety of styles, sausages from animals we don't even usually hear about...Lunches were similarly varied. A huge salad bar, plus a themed buffet (we experienced Mexican, Indian, New Orleans-style and more) and generic options (tuna salad, chicken salad, etc.) for the tame of heart. Dinner offered up five or six options for entrées and the same number of desserts, with interchangeable side orders. Everything was healthy (well, except the desserts) but nothing "felt" healthy, if you know what I mean. I'm a very picky eater, and I was satisfied by every meal and never once felt hungry or even peckish between meals. Nutritional information was provided for those who have special needs (e.g., carb counts for we diabetics, gluten information, calorie counts, etc.). The only meal complaint I could make was that we ate very late the night we arrived, and they had run out of the Orange Blossom Creme Brulée, but it was an option again four nights later, so I didn't miss out.

I didn't go on any of the hikes or special excursions, as I'm not an adventure-seeker, but my friend went on two hikes, and aside from being a tad more adventurous than she expected, she rated them highly. My friend is an inveterate exerciser; I walk most days and am otherwise a slug. However, the inventive and varied classes (for cardio, strength, stretching, etc.) had this slug taking four or five classes a DAY. Most of the instructors were warm, inviting and cheery, and few were the kind of pixies who make you feel old and blobby. These were real women (I didn't have any male instructors, though there may be some), and they offered some fun options.

The best classes were Bootyque 47 (kind of like ballet barre), Zumba, Booty Beats (AKA: Flirty GIrl), MELT (sort of easy realignment for busted-up bodies), and DRUMS ALIVE, the most fun I've had in ages. The only class I absolutely hated was Boot Camp TRX, which was definitely too advanced for me and for which I could have used a little TLC, and I must admit the Sports Training and Pilates were not quiet as "intermediate" as I'd have liked. Be prepared to seek out the instructors and ASK about the difficulty levels of classes, as they vary between instructors and days. You can take as many or as few classes as you like. I opted for one hard and one easy class in the mornings, between meals, then hung out in the numerous and beautiful alcoves, under arbors, next to waterfalls and in hammocks to rest and doze after lunch. Once recuperated, I was up for one or two highly active afternoon classes and a strength or stretch class (yes, my family and FB friends were shocked by reports of such activity). By late afternoon, it was time to be soothed.

For not too much more money, you can upgrade any particular set of days to include one of the massage or facial treatments. (The spa also offers a variety of other treatments included in the package.) My friend, who bankrolled this trip as a huge treat for me, opted for us getting this upgrade, so over the three central days of our five days there, I had two massages (both excellent, but Mike's rocked!) and one facial. (And though the aesthetician was lovely, I learned that I'm not a fan of facials. Who knew?)

Finally, the atmosphere was stellar. I am not an outdoorsy girl, but I appreciated the mountains, the sky, the amazing weather (hot but not humid, and not drying as we experienced in Vegas).

Now the negatives: Although the beds are luxurious and the bathrooms have been modernized with marble and magnifying, telescoping mirrors, these are motel-like accommodations. Small, noisy air conditioner (that provided lovely white noise for sleeping) and threadbare carpet. Ours had what appeared to be a mysterious spray-painted green arrow. However, I can't say I spent more than an hour, total, while awake, in the room on any given day, such is the schedule of options. (Oh, and the outer walls of the bathtub are HUGE. If you're short or have hip troubles, be aware that it's hard to get into the shower/tub without odd maneuvering.) Similarly, the grounds are not fancy. It reminded me a lot of my grandmother's condo in Florida. Lots of buildings that look alike, parking lots, little lawns. But it's clean and well-kept, and should only offend the snooty.

Most of the employees are quick-to-please, helpful and sweet, though some of the restaurant staffers are a little on the young and clueless side. If you're looking for a fancy sommelier, you're not going to find it here. (Though my friend reported the wine list was quite satisfactory.) The fitness instructors varied widely. Some were bend-over-backwards (no, not in terms of yoga) fabulous, while others reminded me of why I no longer belong to a gym. Again, do your research and ask fellow resort peeps what classes they loved AND who taught them.

Finally, check your bill. While we upgraded our package such that there should have been one flat fee for the spa upgrade, plus a section for the tips we added, the bill was entirely messed up. I won't assume, as other reviewers did, that this is done out of malice; it's quite possible their billing system is just really inefficient. Just make sure you know what you signed up for and leave enough time at check-out to review your bill in details. While our bill was wrong, once we pointed it out, the young lady fixed it quickly and well.

So -- stuffy and ritzy is your preferred resort? Red Mountain probably isn't for you. But don't fear the place if you're merely a couch potato with daydreams of athletic grandeur. It's fun, it's relaxing and the food is great. (And some people seriously just go on a hike in the morning and get a massage in the afternoon, and spend the rest of the day in the pool or sauna or hammocks.) Oh...and if you're a returning customer, you get a discount on EVERYTHING -- spa treatments, stuff at the store, etc. Good to know.

Room Tip: There are no elevators, so if your luggage is heavy and you don't want to find a bellman to schl...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank ProfOrganizer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ivins
Inn on the Cliff
Crystal Inn Hotel & Suites St. George
Hampton Inn St. George
Hampton Inn St. George
#7 of 42 in St. George

Been to Red Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!