“Very nice stay overall”

Red Mountain Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ivins
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Went for 4 nights mid-October with my elderly father, shared a spacious 2 bdrm villa, did not buy the whole package, just a la carte for the villa and breakfasts. Overall the place is lovely, well appointed, beautiful location, attentive staff, gorgeous grounds, great pooldeck areas, tranquil spa, etc. A couple of glitches: the cold tap on my tub didn't work so that was very disappointing to find after a long day hiking, having looked forward to a jet-soak. Also, when we arrived, we found our villa to be on the ground floor, which made it considerably darker/gloomier than the second floor, so we asked for a change and were told they would accomodate us, we were to sit tight in our unit and not unpack, while they did a housekeeping inspection of our new unit. After finally shlepping all of our things to the new unit, it was discovered that they had moved us to a 1 bedroom instead of a 2 bedroom, so we had to move all of our things back, no 2 bedroom vacancy for our stay. This on an already long and now dark travel day.

Breakfast was great with tons of healthy options, very contemporary with steel cut oatmeal, flax seed, turkey bacon, agave nectar, things like that. Didn't eat any other meals there. Facilities were all open very early in the morning which I appreciated and used before sunrise, as did many other guests, i.e. pools, gym, restaurant. Didn't attend any fitness classes or workshops; out during the day at the National Parks.

One serious complaint was the noise from above our unit. Two separate sets of guests came and went from above our unit, all of whom got up very early, put on their hiking boots and stomped around for around an hour each morning in the dark. They also stayed up late talking loudly and used the heavy sliding bathroom doors all day and night, all of which is extremely loud down below. Let's put it this way; if THEY were up, we were up. Very poor construction/insulation in this regard. BTW a "villa" is not a separate building. All the villa units are part of bigger buildings, so the name is a little misleading.

We each had a very good massage, no other treatments.

The front lobby and lounge are both quite in need of some freshening up, some colour, something!

I would indeed go back. Probably solo or with a friend. A beautiful part of the world to visit no matter where you stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Lindsey120

Reviewed 24 October 2013

Lovely resort and spa! We only stayed one night, whereas most guests seemed to be staying 3+ days (mix of solo travelers and groups), however it was a very nice 24 hours. Food was tasty and healthy (nutrition information clearly displayed), hiking trails connected to the property were nice, and the proximity to the Amphitheater and State Park was ideal. Husband and I each did a massage at SageStone - nice enough though not inexpensive. Staff went out of their way to welcome us, even loaning us blankets when we went to an evening show at the Amphitheater. Didn't use the pool(s) due to cooler temps, did not take part in any fitness classes, but would stay here again and recommend to others.

Room Tip: We got a double on the ground floor as we booked through Expedia, probably worth the $ to upgrade to...
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We went for my girlfriends 40 the and stayed in 2 bed Villa. Our room was 2260 with perfect view of pool and mountain backdrop. The food was excellent and the service was excellent. The hikes are fabulous esp. Full moon meditation hike. That was a don't miss. The only downfall that doesn't bring this to a 5 star is the spa. There wasn't a dry sauna or indoor jacuzzi, only a small steam room. Two of the ladies in our party requested a man as their massage therapist and received women, but the resort did immediately apologize and offer full refund for the mix up.
The experience was excellent and relaxing.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 October 2013 via mobile

This is the first trip I've taken solo. I was looking for an adventure, and I found it! Great list of activities both at and away from the resort. Concierge staff were incredibly helpful and informed. The food was amazing AND healthy. I will visit again!! Great intro to solo adventures and Utah!

• Stayed: August 2013
TWelshGeneralMgr, General Manager at Red Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Dear MsYRaz,

We are delighted that you chose Red Mountain Resort for a solo adventure. We get many solo travelers and I believe that with our group hiking, fitness classes and community dining table there are lots of opportunities for mingling.

Tracey Welsh

Reviewed 20 October 2013

Red Mountain Resort was the perfect answer to my wanting to do the things I love, while my husband enjoyed his golf (there are several great golf courses in the St. George area). The quality of all the activities was excellent. I love to swim. They have great indoor and outdoor pools. I love yoga. The class instructor was knowledgeable and pleasant. My husband and I both took the evening walk with the professional photographer. I learned some great tips for my point and shoot camera. Other more savvy amateur photographers seemed to learn a lot as well and anecdotes from photographer's experiences were interesting. It was a beautiful evening. I went on a hike with the archaeologist. Boma Johnson was a wealth of knowledge. He uses a life time of experience and learning and provides you with great stories and a great appreciation of what and who have gone before, during, and might come after our life time.

Room Tip: We stayed in the rabbit section of guest rooms. It was very quiet. If you want convenience to the i...
1  Thank loesshawk

Dear Loesshawk,

So great to see a fellow Iowan here at Red Mountain Resort. I am glad that your husband enjoyed the great golf in our area, and that you had the chance to do so many of the activities that we offer. We hope we will see you again.

Tracey Welsh

Reviewed 17 October 2013

I took my Mom to Red Mountain as a surprise for her 60th birthday and it was amazing. The gounds are spectacular. The room was beautiful. The activities and exercise classes were a blast and the food was fantastic. I really can't say enough about this place. Here are some tips:

- Upgrade your room to a Villa if you can squeeze your budget. Many of the room complains I've seen in the reviews are for the standard room. The Villa room was beautiful--great view, two queen size beds, massive shower, gas fireplace....awesome.

- The Spa was soooooo relaxing. We had a massage every day (be sure to book EARLY!) and they were great. My favorite therapist was a gentleman by the name of Coden. Probably one of the best massages I've ever had. I'm pretty active and he really listened and adjusted to my needs infusing a bunch of sports massage techniques that were great.

- The food is delicious. Some reviews I've seen complains. We were there for 4 nights so the menu didn't get boring. They rotated items. The protein portions at dinner are small but the sides and the great salad bar ensure you leave full and satisfied. I think some of the reviews depend on your context...I mean if you are used to drinking Dom and eating caviar by the mouthful, then yeah, maybe you find the food a bit challenging but I loved it.

- You need to sign up for some of the classes in advance...make sure you so do including the morning hikes. The guides were knowledgeable and the views, having never travelled to Utah before, were unforgettable. Other classes I attended were fun, some more than others, but the instructors were really friendly and attentive.

Absolutely can't wait for my next visit to Red Mountain.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Gregory A
TWelshGeneralMgr, General Manager at Red Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Dear Gregory,
Thank you so very much for your kind review of Red Mountain Resort. We are honored that you chose to celebrate your Mom's birthday with us! Tracey Welsh, General Manager

Reviewed 16 October 2013

Our first time at this type of "resort/spa/adventure" property. We stayed for 4 nights on the ala carte plan. We had a car and did not want to be committed to resort dinning or schedule and also wanted to take in other sights. The property is remote, so you're committed without your own transportation. We were in the rabbit bldg. second floor #525.

We met several solo and repeat guest so that speaks well of the destintation.

Pros
The area is beautiful and is accessible to comfortable hiking trails.
5 mins. drive or bike to Snow Canyon State Park ($6 entry)
Loved the adventure trips, did the canyoneering and loved every minute
Sagestone Spa is wonderful, it is one of the best spas' we been too
Service is friendly and professional
Menu is true to spa food offerings....but quality may not always deliver

Cons
Regular rooms are narrow and the lighting is not sufficient for reading (even with 3 lamps)
Found the food disappointing cause it was always lukewarm/cold. We starting dinning off site.
Infrequency of class/adventure offerings means you may have skip one for another

Other tips
Closest town is St. George which is 10 mins drive. Which offers more dinning options (highly reocommend the Painted Point restaurant !!) and Starbucks.
Kayenta Art Village is a wonderful day trip 15 mins drive and has a nice lunch spot "Xetava Garden Cafe"
It is an EZ drive from Las Vegas to Ivins takes about 2 1/4 hours and offers a nice surprise through the canyon from NV to AZ.
No wine sales in Utah, except at restaurants so pack your wine and opener.

Overall we had a nice time and might try staying here again, but will switch to a villa (brighter and nicer) and will probably go ala carte, unless there is a subtantial improvement in the food quality.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
TWelshGeneralMgr, General Manager at Red Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

Hello 2 MarcoPolos

Love your screen name! Glad that you enjoyed your adventure at Red Mountain Resort. We appreciate that you took the time to list your pros and cons. We give props to Painted Pony & Xetava Gardens too!

Tracey Welsh, General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ivins
Inn on the Cliff
Hampton Inn St. George
#7 of 42 in St. George
Red Lion Hotel & Conference Center St. George
La Quinta Inn & Suites St. George

Been to Red Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!