“One-of-a-Kind Setting; Still Fabulous After 12 years”

Red Mountain Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ivins
San Diego, California
“One-of-a-Kind Setting; Still Fabulous After 12 years”
Reviewed 28 March 2014

My first visit was January 2002. Many things at RMR have changed over the years, mostly for the good. Our recent visit was amazing, as always. The scenery is second to none, and I've never found another place where you can get the focus on being healthy and active while feeling pampered and inspired--with lots of options and flexibility.

My husband and I elected to go "a la carte" this time, and it was great. We did our own hiking and climbing during the day, enjoyed the villa pool in perfect March weather, and incorporated several evening spa appointments (book a week or two in advance to get the prime after-dinner spa appointments).

The dining room breakfast and lunch are similar to prior years. We enjoyed the expanded Canyon Counter lunch menu one day as nothing on the buffet interested us. I found the dinner/dessert menu to be elevated (more choices, unique, not a bad dish) compared to prior years. We enjoyed a selection from the wine and cocktail list every night. (It is limited compared to other resorts, but it meshes with the RMR experience. The resort used to be alcohol free, so I only see the current options as fantastic.)

Everyone at the front desk, in the spa, in the dining room, and in RM Outfitters were super friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful.

True, the spa rooms are not as "luxurious or glamorous" as you may find elsewhere, but the pre-treatment relaxation room is inspiring, and the spa staff and treatments are top-notch. My eyes are closed during treatments, so I really don't care what the treatment room looks like! Be aware, you will need to climb up and down brightly-lit spiral staircases to get between lockers/waiting room and treatment rooms. I still don't like that part compared to the old spa building.

While I've come with my husband for the past many visits, from past experience I know you will be just as comfortable as a single traveler. Whether you want alone time or like meeting new people, you will find it easy to do.

We were sad to leave and are already planning our next visit.

Room Tip: Villa Suites are great for couples. If traveling alone, I prefer the Villa King (though I stayed in...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ReesCamp

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I was at Red Mountain maybe 10 years ago with a girl friend and vowed to get back! And I did! I brought 7 girlfriends to kick off my 50th bday celebrations! We hiked, biked, took all kinds of exercise classes, had spa treatments every day, ate healthy good food and had a few cocktails at night! They serve mostly wine combos (Loved the cosmorita made from white wine) and we stopped at the local liquor store on the way in so we had our own cocktail hour before dinner each night. We all LOVED it! We are all at different fitness levels and there was something for everyone! They have guided daily hikes at 3 levels, explorer, challenger and endurance. the endurance was hard core and the majority of us did the challenger hikes all 3 mornings and a few did the explorer which was a bit easier but still great and challenging. Pretty safe to say that I've never been challenged like that! I hike regularly but have never been on that kind of terrain or up and down the rocks, crevices, etc. It was spectacular and lots of time for water and photo ops. My big camera was too big and difficult for the hike. Needed your hands too much so it was photo by iphone! Came out great. The guides were awesome, the scenery gorgeous, weather this time of year (March) was perfect.The resort is next door to Snow canyon state park which looks to be a great area for a variety of activities. Sign up early in the day for the hike you want. Each day was just more gorgeous than the last. The staff was attentive and very helpful in the planning. I had a lot of people I was coordinating for and they were awesome and took care of everyones needs! We would hike, dash into a yoga or stretching class, eat, variety of things to do in afternoon, followed by a spa treatment (part of one of the packages), shower, dinner in the dining room. Pretty perfect day if you ask me!!! There were some couples there and a few younger teens and lots of women groups of various sizes. Id think no for the younger teens. Just seems a lot of money for them but the one girl we saw did seem be having fun and the couples we saw seemed to having a good time being active together. We met some really neat people from all over. The cost is all inclusive of 3 meals all you can eat buffet and ordering off a menu for most meals. They vary it each day. The portions are healthy but that doesn't mean you can't over eat because there are so many choices! We felt like we were on a cruise! We had a fabulous time and would highly recommend it. We flew into Vegas and rented 2 cars and drove up. Super easy. .

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room. We were in the deer building which was very central. Its not...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank LJucha
Portland, Oregon, United States
Reviewed 20 March 2014

i was looking for a place that had fitness activities, a spa and fed us. I got that and so much more. I was expecting rabbit food when they said healthy, but it was so amazing! There was plenty or really good food.

There are fitness classes going on all the time. You are just outside of a State Park which you can hike, borrow bikes or ride horses into. The rooms are very comfortable and the spa was great!

Only note is to bring your own alcohol. It's not included in the all inclusive and a glass of wine is $12.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Melody B
TWelshGeneralMgr, General Manager at Red Mountain Resort, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear Melody B,

Thanks for taking the time to write about your Girlfriends Getaway! There is indeed so much to do. I hope that you will join us again.

Tracey Welsh - General Manager
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
Reviewed 19 March 2014

My husband and I went away for a week at Red Mountain Resort. First of all the place is beautiful, with the Red Mountains all around. We started every day with a fabulous hike in different areas around the resort. The hiking was great! The food was great also. I like how they had the nutritional value of all food on the menus. The staff were so very nice and helpful every step of the way. You can do as many exercise classes as you want or take time out to just sit in the sun and enjoy the scenery. We went swimming in the indoor pool which was always kept very clean. The outdoor pool opened on our last day there and we couldn't help but to just stay at the pool all day long. We will be back. It was one of our best vacations ever.
There are more women than men, but my husband loved every minute of it. Don't miss going for a massage at the Sagebrush Spa.

Room Tip: WE stayed in the Villas with a fireplace, a jacuzzi tub and balcony. Just beautiful. I might opt for...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CarolM392
Dear Carol M,

Congratulations on your commitment as a couple to better health! I do hope we will see you again. Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience.

Tracey Welsh
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I traveled alone to Red Mountain and stayed a week and I can't recommend it enough. I loved the morning hikes. I am pretty active and I thought the Challenger hikes were perfect. They were somewhat challenging but we took periodic breaks for water and pictures. My understanding is that the more challenging endurance were similar but faster and without the breaks. I also did several classes. I did the 11AM and 4:30PM stretching classes every day. What a great way to recover after a hike or wind down before dinner. I also recommend the Native American Art Walk. I never would have considered it but decided to do it after reading reviews and I am so glad that I did. The close proximity to Snow Canyon state park is really great. I took one afternoon and just walked from the resort into the park (passes are $3 and you can get them at the resort and charge to your room).

I thought the food was great. The breakfast and lunch buffets had so many choices and I really enjoyed the dinners. I dined both on my own and at the community table on different nights. One thing to note is that the community table is definitely a longer dinner - over an hour and half. But it was great to meet other people staying at the resort.

I stayed in the Rabbit building, which I think was an upgrade from the Dragonfly solo room that I reserved. My room was a typical king hotel room. The walls were a little thin and I could hear when any of my neighbors ran water. This would have been better if I had been on the second floor. But the room was clean and comfortable.

Overall I highly recommend Red Mountain. The location is beautiful and I couldn't ask for more with regard to activities, service and food.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor to cut down on the noise.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank LizMarshall97
Dear LizMarshall 97,

Thanks for taking the time to write about your Red Mountain experience. Thanks for your comments on the Challenge hike. I am glad that you went on the Native American Rock Art Walk with Boma. He is such a fountain of knowledge. I hope that we will see you again.

Warm regards, Tracey Welsh
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I traveled alone to Red Mountain for a spa week and I wasn't disappointed. I stayed in the villas and my room was roomy and comfortable- with a fireplace and a patio. The hiking was unbelievable and the food was fantastic. Compared to other spas/adventure resorts - the price cannot be beat. Great for men and women. The classes and options for activities were fantastic. I borrowed a bike and spent a day on my own. I had several spa treatments and they were truly top notch. I plan to make this a yearly trip.

Room Tip: If you plan to spend time in your room, spend a little more and get a room in the villas on the seco...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Jessica2830
Dear Jessica,

Thank you for writing about your Red Mountain experience, and mentioning our value. I do hope that you will make it an annual trip. On your next visit, you'll be an Adventure Club member, which has added benefits to show you our appreciation for your loyalty.

Warm regards, Tracey Welsh
Smiths Station, Alabama, United States
Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

This was my second trip here, first for my husband. This resort is focused on wellness, enjoying the outdoors and the breath taking scenery of southern Utah. Meals were included in our package - again with a focus on health and nutrition but the quality of the cuisine is five star. The staff - from the housekeeping staff, wait staff, fitness instructors, front desk - all were friendly, very good at their jobs and perhaps most important - they seemed happy with their jobs - probably a positive indicator of good management. A great value for great quality. If you can, see for yourself. Oh! Forgot to mention the Spa! Very good staff, good service. Quite reasonable compared to others of the same quality. This place is a gem.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Elizabeth,

Thank you so very much for writing about your Red Mountain experience. We do appreciate your compliments and look forward to your next visit. Best of health to you - Tracey Welsh
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ivins
Inn on the Cliff
Hampton Inn St. George
Hampton Inn St. George
#6 of 41 in St. George
La Quinta Inn & Suites St. George

Been to Red Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!