“Serene location ~ Off the beaten path”

Red Mountain Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ivins
Aspen, Colorado
“Serene location ~ Off the beaten path”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

If you want an off the beaten path location with little distractions, this is the place to unplug. Not fancy or luxe accommodations however perfect for a long weekend to take in the surroundings and reconnect. You can do as much as you want or as little. A little confusing getting around the resort minimal signage to restaurant and buildings. Our check in was slightly tense staff must of had a long day, so did we... and no room service after 8pm.... bummer!

Room Tip: Choose a suite over a regular king room..
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank avid traveler k

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 26 May 2014

If an ideal business excels at Product, Process and People than two out of three ain't bad (I guess). I gave it four stars because the mountains are absolutely INCREDIBLE! But their "process" is straight out of the 1980s! I was so frustrated to be handed a booklet of 10+ sheets of paper with all of these lists and advertisements. We were there four days and I think they documents started to make sense at the bottom of the third day. Signing up for hikes consisted of going to a crude set of notebooks and dull pencils. We missed the first day as we didn't understand the location and urgency of signing up early. We missed some other things for the same reason. I'm surprised the vegetarian choices of food were so hit & miss. Every time we checked in for dinner a High School student scanned for our names on a typed list (not in alphabetical order) with a large highlighter to mark our names. We didn't know to make reservations for dinner and had to sit outside (if an empty restaurant). I know I'm complaining a lot for a 4-star review, but the expert hikers and trainers REALLY know what they are doing. I get the feeling the ownership/management is made up of old people. There is NO use of the internet for the entire process and that makes the place feel dated. But hey, the mountains are millions of years old, maybe their ancient practices are deliberate!

Room Tip: Second floor rooms won't have the pedestrian traffic if that matters to you.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Urbancitygirl64
TWelshGeneralMgr, General Manager at Red Mountain Resort, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear UrbanCityGirl64,

Of course, it's disheartening to read a review like yours as we do try to make the guest experience as seamless as possible. I do agree with you that our systems could stand improvement, yet our uniqueness is often our nemesis when finding a fully integrated system. I'm sorry that it distracted you from your experience. I hope that you will consider a return visit to the resort.
Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

I recently spent a fantastic week at Red Mountain. I was unsure about a solo vacation until I arrived and found my happy place! A week of spa treatments, hiking, canyoneering, trail rides, and lounging by the pool.....was exactly what I needed. Food was very good, especially breakfast and dinner. The villas were wonderful, highly recommend the upgrade from a standard room. I also rented a car for the week and travelled on my own to Zion National Park for extra solo hiking. The area is spectacular and you won't be sorry. I booked my next visit days after returning home and am already looking forward to my second visit!

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Kim L
TWelshGeneralMgr, General Manager at Red Mountain Resort, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Hello Kim L,

Thank you for your lovely review and I am sure it will put many solo travelers minds at ease. I hope we will have the honor of seeing you in the future. Tracey Welsh
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I have been going to Red Mountain Resort for the past 6 years. Although I still find it to be a wonderful place and a decent value for this type of vacation, there are areas that are deteriorating in quality, which is disappointing and I wonder why this is happening. Resting on their laurels?

The good:

-Most of the staff are very friendly and professional and make you feel welcome.
-The food is overall excellent--healthy yet very tasty, especially the dinners, since they are served to the table as opposed to buffet style (which the breakfasts and lunches are).
-The morning hikes are great and most of the guides are great, although I am starting to get bored by the same hikes every week.
-Accommodations are comfortable.
-Fitness classes are fun and well taught.
-The surroundings (red rock mountains) are gorgeous.
-The hummingbirds are so cute :)
-The Outfitters shop has most of what you might need, if not a huge selection.
-The outdoor pool and lounge chairs are great.

The bad:
-Housekeeping is lazy. The tub and tiles were not well-cleaned before my arrival (hairs in the tub--lovely), and were NEVER cleaned during my 1-week stay. Also, there was a disgusting toenail on the vanity that I disposed of when I arrived. I don't think that the tiles in the bathroom are EVER cleaned by the evidence of the water marks on the tiles and no evidence of sponge marks. Also, I ran out of tissues and they weren't restocked for 2 days. I didn't report this during my stay to management for fear of retribution by the maid! But really, who is managing/checking on these staff?
-Bikes are not well-maintained. I took an extra paid excursion: Santa Clara River Valley Road Bike Ride. The bike did not fit me well and they are extremely limited in road bikes, telling me that the hybrid I was riding was a road bike. Hybrids are not road bikes and I did not like the handlebars, being used to a proper road bike with drop bars. The chain rattled noisily in every gear, and the chain would pop off in the lowest gear. It was an arduous ride and should have been an easy ride for a cyclist like me. The staff member told me it is good to know that there's a problem because that's how they know when to fix the bikes. This tells me that no preventive maintenance is done. Two of the other people on my ride were lucky enough to get proper road bikes, but they told me that their bikes were also bad to ride, so I envied them for nothing as I labored through my ride.
-The grounds have seriously declined. I was dismayed to see the plethora of weeds everywhere, the lack of deadheading the roses, the dying herb garden behind the restaurant--in the past, the gardens looked pristine. I wonder what is going on? Is there a money problem and inability to pay for better/more gardeners?
-It isn't as peaceful as it once was. There were several bachelorette parties and lots of raucousness going on, and many people are just loud. I wish the resort would post "quiet please--this is a spa environment" around the property.

Other than that, fly directly to St George Airport if you can--it is much more convenient than the 2-hour drive from Las Vegas (which has road construction, by the way). There are connecting flights through Salt Lake City (Delta) and Denver (United). John or another Red Mountain staff member will pick you up at the airport if you let them know ahead of time of your arrival, and it only takes about 30 minutes to get to the resort.

Enjoy your adventures!

Room Tip: Mountain View rooms are fabulous, and you get to see the rising moon.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
7 Thank salsaphile
TWelshGeneralMgr, General Manager at Red Mountain Resort, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Salsaphile

I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy this Red Mountain getaway as much as you have enjoyed your other trips to our resort. I wish we would have had the opportunity to speak while you were here about your concerns with housekeeping services. Unfortunately a large windstorm in our area has set our maintenance and grounds crew back a few days and the resort is looking more like itself each day. We are also planning to complete our deluxe room renovation this year. I hope you will give us another opportunity in the future to come experience the things that you do love about Red Mountain. Tracey Welsh
Toronto
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed for a week and was told a different hike everyday was included with my package. Last day hike was one I did two days before. Asked the concierge about it and she was very dismissive and rude with no effort to accommodate. Sorry I bothered her. Heard another lady in the reception very disappointed about a bike ride she had booked and I heard the activities manager say "what do you want me to do about it ". Not sure how hard her issue was to resolve but mine would have been easy as a hike I wanted to do was going out anyway. I was told I could pay for a private guide but I was paying for hikes anyway. Thanks but no thanks

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Garry S
Dear Garry S.

I would love the opportunity to hear more about your disappointment. Would you please email me at twelsh@redmtn.com, or call 435-652-5740? thank you
Huntington Woods, Michigan
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Sometimes when I read gushy reviews, my cynical brain starts to wonder. But the preceding reviews echo my feelings so I'll just add a few more comments. Traveling alone, I felt welcomed and comfortable from the minute I was picked up by John at the airport. He did a great job telling us about the area along the way. I was a little overwhelmed by the activity choices and how to blend in my plans to do the Narrrows Hike at Zion, and my spa plans. Marcy (?) a concierge sat down with me and spent lots of time helping me make plans that balanced activities and relaxation. She had some great activity suggestions and moved spa appointments for me. It was such a treat not to have to do it all myself. The community dining table was full of wonderful women traveling solo but eager to include another solo traveler- we ran into each other at other meals and in classes and I felt like I had friends everywhere- but no obligation to hang out together. The 'community' at the table varied daily but was consistently a nice place to be. Dave led a meditation hike that was a good hike, and a wonderful way to settle into RMR and myself. It was fun to try classes like Nia and Drums Alive (Marcy's suggestions) that were new to me but a chance to go outside of my usual routines. I could go on. The grounds are well kept and the omnipresent hammocks (with pillows!) are a reminder to stop and relax. Many other well-thought out touches (like towels waiting at the hot tub), and cool mint infused face clothes after some strenuous activities add to the feeling of being 'tended'. I forgot my journal in my robe pocket at the spa one night. I was imagining it washed and blank-- but Lyndsey at the spa found it as she was doing her job, and it was waiting at my room the next day. It is the little things that can make a difference- and RMR clearly takes the time to address them. Having done a lot of research in planning the trip, I also think it is a good value, and leaves you the option to add things that interest you enough to pay for. The connection from Salt Lake City to St. George was very easy. I stayed four nights but would have liked one or two more since I spent a full day off the property doing a challenging hike in the Narrows at Zion. I'm ready to come back next year- this time of year was good for me as it was warm, but not too hot for me.

Room Tip: I personally wouldn't want the units closer to the resort entrance, but I don't know what th...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank hwattorney
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Food is amazing. Accommodations could be better, but I was not bothered. My thing - do NOT book the Weekend Warrior package. All of the fitness activities in this package are poorly scheduled. I was scheduled to hike then do a personal training session, then a yoga session then get a 2 hour break before doing a bootcamp at 4:30PM. Ridiculous. Complaints all the way around from my group. Do yourself a favor, if you'd like to schedule a personal training session or TRX class, book it separately.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank rsecore
TWelshGeneralMgr, General Manager at Red Mountain Resort, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear Rsecore,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at Red Mountain and the Weekend Warrior package. I would love to hear more from you about your concerns. Please feel free to contact me at twelsh@redmtn.com

Tracey Welsh
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ivins
Inn on the Cliff
Hampton Inn St. George
Hampton Inn St. George
#6 of 41 in St. George
La Quinta Inn & Suites St. George

Been to Red Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!