“Great Getaway in Gorgeous Surroundings”

Red Mountain Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ivins
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The location of this resort is breathtaking in itself, but a short bike ride brings you right into Red Canyon Country. Zion National Park is an hour away and an easy and spectacular day trip. I went with a friend who wanted to go to a health spa, and certainly Red Mountain offers all spa treatments as well as constant exercise classes including TRX, pilates, zumba, etc. The food is very fresh and there are lots of low cal choices.
My goal was to get away from the city to somewhere beautiful and see the Southwest. This totally fit the bill. You don't have to do the full spa program - you can pay a la carte if you wish. I would go have dinner at local restaurants, just to try something new. It's great place for those who want to diet and those who don't to go together. Some people use it as a base for hiking. We went in February and the temperature was in the 60s during the day.
Our room was spacious with a huge bathroom and fireplace (we upgraded). Keep your eye out for specials, as the upgrade was not expensive. The grounds are spread out, which I quite liked, but someone with difficulty walking would want to be near the centre of the resort. They have guided hikes daily, horseback riding in the canyons, and other activities, but you can also easily hike alone. It's easy to meet people or keep to yourself, as you please.
We flew in and out of Las Vegas, and it was fun to spend a night on the town there on the way. Next time I will rent a car for the whole trip and take in Bryce Canyon as well as return to Zion. There is a shuttle bus from the Las Vegas airport to the resort (not free) and you can rent cars when you get there if you like for a day trip, or go on one of the resort's many excursions. If you primarily want to stay at the resort, you don't need a car.
This is not Canyon Ranch in terms of luxuries, but it is clean and attractive and has good exercise classes and spa treatments. It also doesn't cost nearly as much as spas like Canyon Ranch and those who just want to see a beautiful part of the country - while getting in shape at the same time - should be very happy here. Men feel comfortable here as well, as do single travelers. I'll be back.

Room Tip: Talk to the desk about the room location before you go to make sure you get the view you want, etc...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank GoVera
TWelshGeneralMgr, General Manager at Red Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear GoVera,

Thank you for your compliments and tips for travelers. I also appreciate your comment about our value compared to other destination spas. I hope you will return and become one of our Adventure Club members in the future.

Tracey Welsh

Reviewed 27 May 2014

My girlfriend and I traveled to Red Mountain Resort from Montreal, Canada. We wanted a "fitness and chill" vacation and we got exactly that. We flew to Las Vegas, rented a convertible and drove the 2 hours to the resort. It was a great drive.

Overall we really enjoyed our stay. We thought the fitness instructors knew what they were talking about and ran great classes and the hiking/biking guides were great. We both agreed that the massages we received were the best we had ever had. However, other staff, namely the dining room hostesses did not fare so well. Look, we're from up north...it's cold where we're from. So if we want to eat outside because it's 82 degrees and the sun is setting and the mountains look amazing...we would like to be accommodated. These little girls were not accommodating at all. Every night, our request to sit outside seemed like a chore to them. One night they insisted they didn't have any tables available outside, when there were clearly 3 tables available. When we pointed this out to them, they simply shrugged their shoulders and left us at our table in the dining room. We were beside ourselves and we couldn't believe what had just happened. We asked the waiter to move us, and he did it without a moment's hesitation. So there's the problem. You have some staff that are fantastic and others how do stuff to warrant a not so great Trip Advisor review. Take note, Red Mountain Resort and fix it.
Maria and Tania

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank UnionK
Reviewed 27 May 2014

If you want an off the beaten path location with little distractions, this is the place to unplug. Not fancy or luxe accommodations however perfect for a long weekend to take in the surroundings and reconnect. You can do as much as you want or as little. A little confusing getting around the resort minimal signage to restaurant and buildings. Our check in was slightly tense staff must of had a long day, so did we... and no room service after 8pm.... bummer!

Room Tip: Choose a suite over a regular king room..
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank avid traveler k
Reviewed 26 May 2014

If an ideal business excels at Product, Process and People than two out of three ain't bad (I guess). I gave it four stars because the mountains are absolutely INCREDIBLE! But their "process" is straight out of the 1980s! I was so frustrated to be handed a booklet of 10+ sheets of paper with all of these lists and advertisements. We were there four days and I think they documents started to make sense at the bottom of the third day. Signing up for hikes consisted of going to a crude set of notebooks and dull pencils. We missed the first day as we didn't understand the location and urgency of signing up early. We missed some other things for the same reason. I'm surprised the vegetarian choices of food were so hit & miss. Every time we checked in for dinner a High School student scanned for our names on a typed list (not in alphabetical order) with a large highlighter to mark our names. We didn't know to make reservations for dinner and had to sit outside (if an empty restaurant). I know I'm complaining a lot for a 4-star review, but the expert hikers and trainers REALLY know what they are doing. I get the feeling the ownership/management is made up of old people. There is NO use of the internet for the entire process and that makes the place feel dated. But hey, the mountains are millions of years old, maybe their ancient practices are deliberate!

Room Tip: Second floor rooms won't have the pedestrian traffic if that matters to you.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Urbancitygirl64
TWelshGeneralMgr, General Manager at Red Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear UrbanCityGirl64,

Of course, it's disheartening to read a review like yours as we do try to make the guest experience as seamless as possible. I do agree with you that our systems could stand improvement, yet our uniqueness is often our nemesis when finding a fully integrated system. I'm sorry that it distracted you from your experience. I hope that you will consider a return visit to the resort.

Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

I recently spent a fantastic week at Red Mountain. I was unsure about a solo vacation until I arrived and found my happy place! A week of spa treatments, hiking, canyoneering, trail rides, and lounging by the pool.....was exactly what I needed. Food was very good, especially breakfast and dinner. The villas were wonderful, highly recommend the upgrade from a standard room. I also rented a car for the week and travelled on my own to Zion National Park for extra solo hiking. The area is spectacular and you won't be sorry. I booked my next visit days after returning home and am already looking forward to my second visit!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Kim L
TWelshGeneralMgr, General Manager at Red Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Hello Kim L,

Thank you for your lovely review and I am sure it will put many solo travelers minds at ease. I hope we will have the honor of seeing you in the future. Tracey Welsh

Reviewed 18 May 2014

I have been going to Red Mountain Resort for the past 6 years. Although I still find it to be a wonderful place and a decent value for this type of vacation, there are areas that are deteriorating in quality, which is disappointing and I wonder why this is happening. Resting on their laurels?

The good:

-Most of the staff are very friendly and professional and make you feel welcome.
-The food is overall excellent--healthy yet very tasty, especially the dinners, since they are served to the table as opposed to buffet style (which the breakfasts and lunches are).
-The morning hikes are great and most of the guides are great, although I am starting to get bored by the same hikes every week.
-Accommodations are comfortable.
-Fitness classes are fun and well taught.
-The surroundings (red rock mountains) are gorgeous.
-The hummingbirds are so cute :)
-The Outfitters shop has most of what you might need, if not a huge selection.
-The outdoor pool and lounge chairs are great.

The bad:
-Housekeeping is lazy. The tub and tiles were not well-cleaned before my arrival (hairs in the tub--lovely), and were NEVER cleaned during my 1-week stay. Also, there was a disgusting toenail on the vanity that I disposed of when I arrived. I don't think that the tiles in the bathroom are EVER cleaned by the evidence of the water marks on the tiles and no evidence of sponge marks. Also, I ran out of tissues and they weren't restocked for 2 days. I didn't report this during my stay to management for fear of retribution by the maid! But really, who is managing/checking on these staff?
-Bikes are not well-maintained. I took an extra paid excursion: Santa Clara River Valley Road Bike Ride. The bike did not fit me well and they are extremely limited in road bikes, telling me that the hybrid I was riding was a road bike. Hybrids are not road bikes and I did not like the handlebars, being used to a proper road bike with drop bars. The chain rattled noisily in every gear, and the chain would pop off in the lowest gear. It was an arduous ride and should have been an easy ride for a cyclist like me. The staff member told me it is good to know that there's a problem because that's how they know when to fix the bikes. This tells me that no preventive maintenance is done. Two of the other people on my ride were lucky enough to get proper road bikes, but they told me that their bikes were also bad to ride, so I envied them for nothing as I labored through my ride.
-The grounds have seriously declined. I was dismayed to see the plethora of weeds everywhere, the lack of deadheading the roses, the dying herb garden behind the restaurant--in the past, the gardens looked pristine. I wonder what is going on? Is there a money problem and inability to pay for better/more gardeners?
-It isn't as peaceful as it once was. There were several bachelorette parties and lots of raucousness going on, and many people are just loud. I wish the resort would post "quiet please--this is a spa environment" around the property.

Other than that, fly directly to St George Airport if you can--it is much more convenient than the 2-hour drive from Las Vegas (which has road construction, by the way). There are connecting flights through Salt Lake City (Delta) and Denver (United). John or another Red Mountain staff member will pick you up at the airport if you let them know ahead of time of your arrival, and it only takes about 30 minutes to get to the resort.

Enjoy your adventures!

Room Tip: Mountain View rooms are fabulous, and you get to see the rising moon.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
7  Thank salsaphile
TWelshGeneralMgr, General Manager at Red Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear Salsaphile

I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy this Red Mountain getaway as much as you have enjoyed your other trips to our resort. I wish we would have had the opportunity to speak while you were here about your concerns with housekeeping services. Unfortunately a large windstorm in our area has set our maintenance and grounds crew back a few days and the resort is looking more like itself each day. We are also planning to complete our deluxe room renovation this year. I hope you will give us another opportunity in the future to come experience the things that you do love about Red Mountain. Tracey Welsh

Reviewed 17 May 2014

Stayed for a week and was told a different hike everyday was included with my package. Last day hike was one I did two days before. Asked the concierge about it and she was very dismissive and rude with no effort to accommodate. Sorry I bothered her. Heard another lady in the reception very disappointed about a bike ride she had booked and I heard the activities manager say "what do you want me to do about it ". Not sure how hard her issue was to resolve but mine would have been easy as a hike I wanted to do was going out anyway. I was told I could pay for a private guide but I was paying for hikes anyway. Thanks but no thanks

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Garry S

Dear Garry S.

I would love the opportunity to hear more about your disappointment. Would you please email me at twelsh@redmtn.com, or call 435-652-5740? thank you

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ivins
Inn on the Cliff
#13 of 43 in St. George
The Inn at Entrada
The Inn at Entrada
#1 of 43 in St. George

Been to Red Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!