“Wonderful balance of fitness & zen”

Red Mountain Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ivins
San Diego
“Wonderful balance of fitness & zen”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I am very discerning (downright picky) but I loved everything about the resort. It is very well maintained (very important to me), beautiful setting, very good food, so quiet and peaceful with a lot to choose from if you wanted to exert yourself. We had a villa (little confusing because it's a one-bedroom suite and not a free standing building) but it was great - 2nd floor in Big Horn on the end - #2221. It overlooked the beautiful pool (one of 3). It had two full bathrooms (one quite large) and multiple closets. Two fireplaces and small kitchen area and eating table. We went on two fairly strenuous hikes (one guided, one on our own); a few stretch classes and 3 great aqua fitness classes. Also had a terrific massage from Christy. The food is very good - buffet breakfast and lunch but table service at dinner - how do they do healthy so well? It was hot (105) which was over normal but it actually didn't stop up much - we just scheduled things around it.

Room Tip: Try and get a room where the balcony faces east if you go when it's hot - use it in the morning...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Maine
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Signage could be better. We found the resort difficult to get around initially. This is not the place for a one night stay as it is geared for longer visits by patrons going for the total spa experience. That being said, the restaurant was innovative and the food delicious. Wait service was professional. There is a short menu with a small number of entrees, paired with an extensive salad bar and soup. All were delicious. We used the pool, which was fine and comfortably cool. There are hammocks to rest everywhere, a nice breeze and peaceful atmosphere. Actually, it was a nice stop at vacation's end. Check in at three, out at noon. It's out of the way from St. George in a peaceful location.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
ohio
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

We last stayed 2 1/2 years ago for my 30th birthday. Our experiences both times were equally good. Each visit was for a long weekend (4 days). May is hot, but we made good use of the pool. My thoughts:

Food: it's healthier than what I normally eat, which is a good thing. Takes me a meal to adjust but delicious! Wine is very over priced however.
Rooms: there were only 3 in our group so we had 1 room. First visit we had 2 rooms for 4 people. Three was a little crowded. I wish they had better options without big price increase. Also no door to shower and vanity area, which is awkward but can't really change it.
Exercise classes: there were many more classes I'd like to take than I actually did. Offer more on the weekend! Hydro challenge instructor was great and an easy class done in the middle of the afternoon.
Hiking: we tried the medium intensity hike this time (can't remember their specific names, just call them easy intermediate and advanced). After a day at Zion, it was tiring. We had seen same things first visit. Our guide recommended jelly belly sports beans for electrolytes. Good recommendation: i felt better having some after sweating so much. Beginner hike on our last day was a little easy but got to see parts of the park we had not been to yet. Priscilla is a great guide who we've had both times.
Excursion to Zion: loved the park! Mark and Dave and the other guide were good at finding hikes for everyone's abilities. I enjoyed it a lot.
Free events: we did the cooking demo and DIY spa, both exceeded my expectations. Loved them and added variety to the day.
"Gift" shop: more for clothes/shoes you forgot to pack. I love that they had cute red mountain t shirts!!! I don't remember any last time, so of course I bought one. And we got a discount for being returning guests!
Spa: skipped it this time. I think money spent on Zion hike was much more worth it. I can spa at home.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 4 June 2014

My Husband, I and our dog stayed here for 4 nights.
We arrived and where checked in by Melanie, who seemed like she really wanted to be somewhere else or that we were interrupting her. Gave us our package and told here where to go.

Our Room was nice (clean & Comfortable), a little small we thought. One nice thing was they did have a dog bed and goodies in the room waiting, which was a nice touch. We arrived at 8pm and when I called to see if we could have food, Melanie said nothing was open in the hotel, she was short...when I asked her if she could recommend any where she said St. George has restaurants! Nothing more. The next day, I went to go the pool, the one that is on their website, and in any of the pictures you see from the resort. However I hotel card wouldn't work in the gate, when I went to guest services we where told that this pool wasn't available for us as we where staying in part of the Hotel. I have travelled A LOT and have never ever been at a resort that treated guests like a second class! The pool that was available, was needless to say nothing like the advertised pool.

We ate at the Hotel one night! I guess I should have mentioned that we where not part of the health and Fitness package, which I'm pretty sure the rest of the hotel was on. The portions where tiny, the food wasn't great my husband sent back his steak it was over cooked and tasteless, which was a theme carried over from Breakfast.

The location is out there...you are 45mins from Zion & 20mins from St. George.
On a positive note the Hotel views are really nice.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank leon&Kevin
TWelshGeneralMgr, General Manager at Red Mountain Resort, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear Leon and Kevin,

I am so sorry to read your review. We certainly should have done a better job and I appreciate knowing of this situation. Indeed Canyon Breeze Restaurant creates all of the entrees to order, and the portion sizes are meant to support a healthy lifestyle. I am sorry that we did not please you.

Tracey Welsh
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We arrived about 2am, but the staff was ready to check us in and get us into our room. The first thing we noticed upon our arrival was the smell, the intense scent of the desert; for those of who don't know about this, trust me that it's a good thing. Our room was clean and spacious, most importantly, dog friendly; the staff had a dog bed in the room and a water bowl set for him. The spa services were amazing. Views of the surrounding red cliffs while relaxing between treatments was truly a wonderful experience. The restaurant served wonderful, healthy meals, with fresh ingredients and while they had no tequila, they did have a respectable wine list. The grounds were immaculately cared for, hammocks in the shade for relaxation. There was great hiking nearby, kayaking and cycling as well. Just 2 hours north of Las Vegas, this was a memorable visit. Truly a beautiful place.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank klong1212
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The location of this resort is breathtaking in itself, but a short bike ride brings you right into Red Canyon Country. Zion National Park is an hour away and an easy and spectacular day trip. I went with a friend who wanted to go to a health spa, and certainly Red Mountain offers all spa treatments as well as constant exercise classes including TRX, pilates, zumba, etc. The food is very fresh and there are lots of low cal choices.
My goal was to get away from the city to somewhere beautiful and see the Southwest. This totally fit the bill. You don't have to do the full spa program - you can pay a la carte if you wish. I would go have dinner at local restaurants, just to try something new. It's great place for those who want to diet and those who don't to go together. Some people use it as a base for hiking. We went in February and the temperature was in the 60s during the day.
Our room was spacious with a huge bathroom and fireplace (we upgraded). Keep your eye out for specials, as the upgrade was not expensive. The grounds are spread out, which I quite liked, but someone with difficulty walking would want to be near the centre of the resort. They have guided hikes daily, horseback riding in the canyons, and other activities, but you can also easily hike alone. It's easy to meet people or keep to yourself, as you please.
We flew in and out of Las Vegas, and it was fun to spend a night on the town there on the way. Next time I will rent a car for the whole trip and take in Bryce Canyon as well as return to Zion. There is a shuttle bus from the Las Vegas airport to the resort (not free) and you can rent cars when you get there if you like for a day trip, or go on one of the resort's many excursions. If you primarily want to stay at the resort, you don't need a car.
This is not Canyon Ranch in terms of luxuries, but it is clean and attractive and has good exercise classes and spa treatments. It also doesn't cost nearly as much as spas like Canyon Ranch and those who just want to see a beautiful part of the country - while getting in shape at the same time - should be very happy here. Men feel comfortable here as well, as do single travelers. I'll be back.

Room Tip: Talk to the desk about the room location before you go to make sure you get the view you want, etc...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank GoVera
TWelshGeneralMgr, General Manager at Red Mountain Resort, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear GoVera,

Thank you for your compliments and tips for travelers. I also appreciate your comment about our value compared to other destination spas. I hope you will return and become one of our Adventure Club members in the future.

Tracey Welsh
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 27 May 2014

My girlfriend and I traveled to Red Mountain Resort from Montreal, Canada. We wanted a "fitness and chill" vacation and we got exactly that. We flew to Las Vegas, rented a convertible and drove the 2 hours to the resort. It was a great drive.

Overall we really enjoyed our stay. We thought the fitness instructors knew what they were talking about and ran great classes and the hiking/biking guides were great. We both agreed that the massages we received were the best we had ever had. However, other staff, namely the dining room hostesses did not fare so well. Look, we're from up north...it's cold where we're from. So if we want to eat outside because it's 82 degrees and the sun is setting and the mountains look amazing...we would like to be accommodated. These little girls were not accommodating at all. Every night, our request to sit outside seemed like a chore to them. One night they insisted they didn't have any tables available outside, when there were clearly 3 tables available. When we pointed this out to them, they simply shrugged their shoulders and left us at our table in the dining room. We were beside ourselves and we couldn't believe what had just happened. We asked the waiter to move us, and he did it without a moment's hesitation. So there's the problem. You have some staff that are fantastic and others how do stuff to warrant a not so great Trip Advisor review. Take note, Red Mountain Resort and fix it.
Maria and Tania

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank UnionK
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ivins
Inn on the Cliff
Clarion Suites
Clarion Suites
#11 of 42 in St. George
La Quinta Inn & Suites St. George

Been to Red Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!