“Best solo vacation you could ask for...” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Red Mountain Resort

Red Mountain Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ivins
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Best solo vacation you could ask for...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2014

I just got back from a great 5-day/night stay at Red Mountain Resort. I was actually sad to leave which when traveling alone is often not the case as I'm ready to get home to my husband, family, and friends. This place is great! The customer service is second to none from the moment John picks you up at the airport throughout the rest of the stay from guest services (most notably Chad) to dining to spa and classes (Kristin was my favorite – great sense of humor while she makes you work).

The food is amazing! I truly don't understand any of the reviews that complained as not only was there enough food (buffets for breakfast and lunch, plus a menu if you wanted to order or weren't on the all-inclusive plan; rotating tableside menu for dinner that includes salad, soup, entree, and dessert). The portions certainly aren't oversized American, but were right in line from flavor and size with many fine dining restaurants I've been to both in the US and abroad (I guess if you are a really picky eater you might have an issue as only about 6 entrée options each night). Also, when it comes to food, if you get a chance to attend a cooking demonstration with Chef Chad do it! He shows you how relatively easy it can be to cook fresh and healthy options.

Now onto the rooms… I like quiet, so asked to be moved from the Deer building (across from the Rabbit) after my first night. It is not loud anywhere, but as those two buildings border the main walking area for guests, and I'm a really light sleeper, just wanted quieter. I ended up on the mountain side of Dragonfly and while the rooms are slightly smaller it was PERFECT for me traveling on my own. As noted in other reservations, the air conditions do seem loud in the smaller rooms, but the solve for that is to get them running on low continually, at least through the night, and then it becomes "white noise." The amenities were top-notch and the soaking tub wonderful (now I know what I want to put in my house).

I was there to take advantage of all the workout and hiking classes and there are plenty to choose from... you can literally stay busy with classes from 7AM until 5:15PM with only one pause around lunch time. They also have tons of options so you can find ones you are familiar with or try new ones. They also do hikes and bike rides, as part of the all-inclusive package, everyday into the surrounding national park. All the guides are great and full of information on the area.

Finally, the spa, probably the only area of slight disappointment on the trip. I just expected it to be top-notch and all my treatments were not. I would not bother with a facial again as below par in my book. I did enjoy my manicure and pedicure with Kallie. However, to end on a the high note, I had two treatments (a body wrap and massage) with Jensen Coden and he was AWESOME! He truly cares about what he is doing and was also just a pleasure to talk to during our time together. It was my first massage after an ATVing accident over a month ago and so I was a bit nervous about how it would go. He was great! Not only did he check to make sure pressure was good, but actually helped work out some knots I had developed during my recovery period.

So, I will be back. In fact, ran into so many people who make, at least, annual pilgrimages to Red Mountain Resort. If you are traveling on your own, have absolutely no fear as they are not only completely ready to accommodate, but I'd guess 25% of their clientele travels that way.

Room Tip: There are no elevators for the 2-story buildings so if steps are an issue, you will want a first flo...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
6 Thank corbyandjen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
WHITEFISH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2014

The staff makes you feel pampered from the minute you step onto the grounds. Best bed I have ever slept in. The pool was lovely, The hammocks could be lounged in for a week on their own.
Very quiet and peaceful. Lovely desert scenery, Super close to Snow Canyon State Park. One person we were traveling with is a super sensitive celiac and the kitchen cooked her food separate. They have a toaster, for example for gluten free bread only. Lots of gluten free options. We really appreciated their consideration on that issue. Our celiac person had no adverse reactions to the food. She has pretty much given up on eating from any restaurant because of problems afterward, so it was a wonderful experience.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank RICHARD M
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

OK - where do I begin. I have done travel globally for over 40 years. This resort ranks in the top 3 with respect to their hospitality and services.

Service - the staff clearly have been trained in an excellent hospitality program. Always thinking a few steps ahead of the guest, always friendly. Always gracious. Always a smile. And yes, these little things matter. I will describe several examples below in the other categories.

Food - OMG! Menu changes every day and recycles weekly. So if you go for a week, you have a different menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner. And the food is excellent. I can only think of 1 lunch and 1 dinner that I didn't find excellent but was still good. The staff at the restaurant was incredible. Kelton and Sergio - THANK YOU for your kindness and positive spirit all week.

Spa - this is something I wish I could say was incredible but was actually just "good". I wish I could say everything at Red Mountain was excellent. The service was great. The treatments were good but I have certainly had better. I had a manicure (in addition to 3 other treatments) and it was below par. The best treatment I had was the melting honey hot stones massage. That was great! Pedicure was good. Facial was very good.

Room - our room was very clean and comfortable. The bed was very comfortable. They have us a room facing the red mountain canyon and had a lot of privacy and seclusion. (Which was a plus!). Great amentities and one of the most comfortable bath robes I have received at a hotel. Awesome. At check-in, they give you 2 water bottles and a knapsack for your use and to keep from your visit. They came in handy!

Facilities - laundry facilities in each building so it was very convenient to do laundry mid week and therefore bring less clothing. Fitness center was spacious and modern. Restaurant and spa buildings were very clean and comfortable. The spa waiting room is a great place to look out the big windows and enjoy the canyon vista but also to take a nap! The pools were very clean and spacious. And the hot tubs did the trick after a long day of hiking and activities. They also provide free bikes to use!!! That was such a great plus!

Tours - excellent tours and staff. Hats off to the staff for their extremely attentive approach with guests. Some tours I thought were a little pricy for what we did or got. But all in all, the service of the staff was incredible. The best tour was Zion National Park Narrows hike. Hard off to Shelly, Rich and most definitely, Martha. Martha was an absolute gem with a heart. I really hope she is there when I return next year.

Special Occasions - I went on this trip for a week with my partner. He and I celebrated our 8 years together during the week there. They provided us a beautiful wooden frame and balloons upon arrival. And on our anniversary, we walked into our room after dinner to witness about 12 candles, rose petals in the shape of a heart on the bed, not to mention a trail of rose petals from the door, chocolate dipped strawberries and a bottle of sparking grape juice (it was a spa after all). And of course, 8 roses in a beautiful arrangement with desert greens in a base. My partner asked them to do something for our anniversary. It was the staff that came up with the idea. INCREDIBLE AND THANK YOU!!

So, with all this good, there had to be some things I could suggest

1. Laundry facilities have change machines to take dollar bills and give quarters. However when I checked the 3 nearest buildings to our building, all the machines were sold out. And I did laundry twice during the week. They need to replenish the change machine more often.

2. The resort currently puts out the weekly activity calendar which outlines the fitness classes, hikes and tours for the week. But they put this out on paper. They also put out te next day's menu at the restaurant each night and post it on paper outside the restaurant. I would suggest an app for smartphones (make free apps using Yapp). It would allow guests to have the schedule and menus easily accessible and would allow the resort to follow its green and Eco-friendly mission by not printing up and wasting paper.

3. The resort started a new hike through a lava tube. It occurs at night. It is a great hike! But because of all the dust in the cave, I would suggest the resort consider providing guests a disposable dust mask when going into the cave. I was dealing with a lot of congestion and sinus issues for a few days because of the hike.

All in all, this was an incredible place!
I can assure you I will be back and cannot wait for my next visit. So please take note of the title of my review: stay away!!! Please!!!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TheNutleyNut
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

The resort was lovely with stunning views. The classes were fun with great instructors. The hikes were challenging and exhilarating. The other guests were fun and we had some awesome conversations. The spa was so relaxing. The food was too good - I had hoped to lose some weight but the salad bar, breakfast, lunch and dinner entries were divine. The Narrows hike, and kayak trip and horseback ride all had fun, informative guides. I can't say enough. I can't wait to go back. If your idea of a fun vacation is hours of tough exercise in a beautiful and peaceful environment you will love it. I loved it!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the red mountains.
Las Vegas, NV
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

This resort is great - nothing over the top like a Mandarin Oriental or Four Seasons, but it's extremely quiet and peaceful. My wife and I (and our 2 black labs) came here because A) You can't get any closer to Tuachan Amphitheater, and B) They're pet friendly. We arrived to our room, and were surprised to find a dog bed, food and water bowls, and 2 individually wrapped dog welcome kits with our dog's names written on the tags. Very nice touch.

The rooms weren't huge, but plenty comfortable. My only suggestion would be to equip all the rooms with small refrigerators, but it wasn't a big deal, and they may have been available upon request.

The grounds are quite large, with grassy areas, hammocks, desert trails, and swimming pools among other things. We swam in the outdoor pool, which was large and clean.

Overall, everything was great, and we'll definitely stay here again.

Cleanliness
1 Thank bumpskier176
New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

Airport shuttle: John picked myself and another solo traveler up from the airport. He was really friendly and helpful and had some moist minty-fresh washcloths for us to freshen up with as we headed to the resort, plus cold bottled water.

Staff: friendly, helpful, knowledgeable, fast to act. Instead of canceling the Zion Narrows hike because of bad weather, they rescheduled it for a different day with better weather. Who does that? That was amazing! On the day I arrived I called down to reception to ask a question. I was shocked when they answered the phone by greeting me by name instead of the standard 'reception, how can I assist you?'. Really nice touch! It was also awesome that we got a welcome bag complete with water bottles for us to use on the trip.

Room (mountain view king): recently renovated, tastefully decorated, a pocket door separated the large bedroom area from the also large bathroom. Very clean and comfortable. The pillows are amazing.

Food: so good. Oh, so very good. Breakfast and lunch buffet options change daily (one day was Mexican, the next day was Indian, another day was something entirely different). The dinner menu also changes daily but the food is incredibly good. Be sure you save room for your dessert!

Solo travel: everyone here - staff and guests alike - is really friendly. As a solo traveler I didn't quite know what to expect. I was half convinced that I'd feel like an outsider. I was completely wrong - you start seeing the same people in classes and at meals and the community dining table has the most fun in the entire restaurant. The table is always laughing and having fun!

Activities: the explorer hikes are the ones I did because I wanted to have enough time to appreciate the beauty around me and take some photos while hiking. I still got a great workout (even some scrambling) and lots of great photos. The guides are so good at explaining what's around you and they make an effort to learn everyone's name. The classes are also great. The bootcamp class is pretty intense, I won't lie, but it was fun. Most of the classes are somewhat challenging but the instructors will help you adjust to suit your needs - you can make it easier or harder. The beginner's TRX class was awesome, and I loved the stretch classes after the morning hike. I went horseback riding one day and we went to a beautiful overlook. My advice: try as many new things as you can. You might be surprised at what you'll like most.

Every guest I met during this trip had either been coming to RMR for years or has decided to return. Count me among this group!

Room Tip: Some of the buildings have rooms with a door separating the bathroom from bedroom, others don't...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
3 Thank NYCskydive
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

My husband and I went looking for a romantic get away and purchased the full package. Be careful when reveiwing the web site, all the photos are of the villa and suites, not a representation of the basic "motel style" rooms. We had the food package as well, and the food was good but served buffet style, and it was a limited beer and wine menu. The guests dined in their work out clothes or yoga pants, and the service from the hotel staff was very good. The pricing is "per person", so not worth the price unless you plan on attending their numerous work out classes. A great place to work out, hike and enjoy the near by hiking. The spa is fantastic.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms that face the mountains, and would be a comfortable place for a solo traveler.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
4 Thank Jan R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ivins
Inn on the Cliff
Hampton Inn St. George
Hampton Inn St. George
#7 of 41 in St. George
Crystal Inn Hotel & Suites St. George

Been to Red Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!