“Fantastic vacation, tons to do, relaxing too!”

Red Mountain Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ivins
Reviewed 25 January 2010

I just returned from Red Mountain Spa - one of the reasons I chose it was all the excellent reviews on Trip Advisor, and it really is excellent!

I chose to fly into Vegas and take a 2-hour shuttle bus which was cheaper, and I got to see the scenery (including a wild Mustang horse on the mountains!) Really fascinating to pull into St George/Ivins area, and this place comes out of nowhere and it's just gorgeous. I loved the mountains, the grounds, very peaceful.

Morning hikes are great, the spa treatments are fantastic - could have spent all day every day there, were it not for having a budget!

I only took a couple of the exercise classes, but very much enjoyed them. I also loved the activities available - Meet the Mustangs, pottery, pound puppy walk,...

Staff is VERY nice. The food was average, despite all the reviews, that was the one disappointment. I did love the hummus, and salad fixings, but not in love with a lot of the hot food. Fish tended to be overcooked (unless you asked them for medium and really stressed it) and the flavor/spice combination wasn't always my favorite.

Community table is great if you're traveling on your own.

Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo
TWelshGeneralMgr, General Manager at Red Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2010

Thank you for your Trip Advisor Review of Red Mountain. I'm thrilled that you got to experience Meet the Mustangs and The Pound Puppy Hike. We appreciate your feedback regarding the food, and want to let you know that we are launching a new menu later this month.

Reviewed 29 December 2009

I've read about Red Mountain for years. It seems to top every "good spa value" list. I didn't think it could live up to the hype, but it did. I traveled solo and got everything I wanted to out of a very short (three day, two night) trip. I would go back in a heartbeat.

Location -- Stunning. I love the red rocks of Utah and so enjoyed the scenery every time I was outside.

Service -- Friendly and caring. You feel like the folks that work here love it as much as you do. From the man that picked me up at the airport to the wait staff to the hiking guides to the registration staff, everyone was super friendly and went above and beyond to make sure that I was happy.

Room -- moden and comfortable. I was staying in the smallest, and there wasn't much room for much more than a bed. Really nice tub.

Food -- The food wasn't fabulous but it wasn't terrible. You definiltey learn to choose favorites. I loved that it had all of the nutrition information on the healthy food. Breakfast and lunch are buffet and dinner is by menu, where you tip wait staff.

Morning hikes -- fabulous! This is really why I came. The guides are knowledgable, the hikes are all different and beautiful. Highly recommend doing a hike in the am, even if it's raining. I also used their complimentary bikes to return to the local state park where we hiked.

Exercise classes -- some were more challenging than others. All started with a plug for whatever equipement we were using, which was annoying. There are enough classes to fill the entire day, with choices, which was nice. A good variety. But nothing was too difficult.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank lynnegold
joeydalirule, General Manager at Red Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2010

Thank you very much for your candid review which I think will help many people who are considering Red Mountain Resort & Spa. I hope you took some of the mountain spirit home with you! Tracey Welsh

Reviewed 28 December 2009

Just returned from a 10-day stay at the Red Mountain Spa & Resort and absolutely loved it. The daily hikes in the stunning Snow Canyon Park and other surrounding areas were an excellent way to start the day with guides who were friendly and knowledgeable. The food was fresh and delicious with options for vegetarians and carnivores alike.

The exercise classes in the afternoon were varied and catered to differing levels of fitness, taught by knowledgeable staff. The Sagestone Spa services were also nice extra treats I gave myself.

This place is also great for solo travelers with community table for dining and meeting other fellow travelers. The congenial staff make every effort and attempt to accommodate one's requests.

Only one negative comment I'd heard from a fellow guest was that sound proofing in her room was somewhat lacking in that she could hear the guests in the room above her floor.

The rates were excellent for all that you get! I'm reluctant to talk it up for fear that it might get too popular.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jongbert
Reviewed 1 December 2009

This Resort is definitely a gem. The food was incredible (if you're into organic, healthy, and flavorable foods that is), the service was top notch (everyone was soooo friendly), the classes were plentiful, diverse and fun, and the rooms were spacious and comfortable. There was more than enough activities for both my wife and I keep buzy while still having a relaxing and romantic weekend. We were there for three nights and wish we could have stayed for an extra day or two.

Be sure to choose a lodging package that includes all meals. You definitely won't want to leave the resort as the food is excellent on site and it's a quite distance from other restaurants.

This was our first trip to the Resort and we'll definitely return. Well worth the money and our limited time.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jason L
Reviewed 25 November 2009

I liked this spa for what I paid, but I was a little disappointed. I have been to several destination fitness retreats / spas. Maybe I went at a down time, but there were very few classes offered. One yoga class a day, and maybe one stretch class, and that was it.

The hikes were beautiful, but there is also climbing involved. I did not anticipated having to get on all fours and climb up boulders and down into canyons. I hike for the cardio effect, and all of the stopping and climbing defeated the purpose a bit. I think it would be a good pace for someone who is not in shape, and looking to jump start their fitness routine. Not good for someone already in shape looking to challenge their bodies. Of course, there are more challenging hikes in Zion and the surrounding areas, but those cost extra, so know that going in.

The food was very delicious, but too many options for people trying to lose weight. I wasn't so I gobbled up the potatoes and bread and butter, but if I was overweight, I would have had a hard time resisting what was in front of my face.

I would recommend this to others if they are on a budget, and if they do not want an aggressive fitness schedule. For that, I would recommend Rancho La Puerta.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
6  Thank redskinfan78
Reviewed 4 November 2009

Selected because "spa" was part of the name but it's so much more. While spa is nice, ended up too busy with other activities to make time for treatment. MANY wellness components operating all day, every day ranging from low key (hike/stretch/cook/yoga/pilates/meditation) to uber-jock-type challenges. Innovative cuisine (and lots of it), great staff, exceptionally scenic red rock area and views. Guest rooms were perfectly fine but not luxury.
Rewards: Exceeded my own 'perceived' physical limits, learned new fitness techniques, enjoyed great food... and wine :)... Highly recommend booking all-inclusive rate as meals/activities make it best value.
Regrets: Two days wasn't enough. Found most (many were repeat) stay minimum four. Missed a number of classes and activities as ran out of time, plus program changes every day.
Tips: Sign up in morning for NEXT day hikes; Don't miss spa steamroom & relaxation lounge; Pack old socks - red sand stain doesn't wash out. Bring small backpack for hiking (but resort will provide a satisfactory nylon version if you forget).

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank globephobe
Reviewed 14 October 2009

Adobe style building with a beautiful red mountain backdrop. Hammocks on the lawns to sit with a good book, and plenty of hiking/cycling set up through the hotel for those who are interested.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ivins
Inn on the Cliff
Hampton Inn St. George
#7 of 42 in St. George
Red Lion Hotel & Conference Center St. George
La Quinta Inn & Suites St. George

Been to Red Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!