“What more could you want for $40, people?”
Review of Sun-n-Sand Motel

Sun-n-Sand Motel
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Kanab
Reviewed 26 July 2012

First off, some perspective, so you'll better understand where I'm coming from. I'm an American that has lived in Germany for a long time now. I spend at least one weekend every month in London (I'm addicted to live theatre!) I usually travel to at least five new countries every year, and I take traveling VERY seriously! I have stayed in a 7-star hotel that cost $5000 per room per night, and I've slept in Bedouin tents in the Sahara that included no running water, no plumbing, no A/C, but all kinds of memories.

I love the southwestern US, and those of you that feel the same also know that Kanab is one of the places that are great as "hubs" for visiting all the sights in this part of the world.

I've stayed in Kanab many times, and visited quite a few of the lodging options. This month I was in the US again, spending time on the "Trail of the Ancients", and needed to spend a night in Kanab. Some traveling friends suggest the Sun-n-Sands, and after reading the TripAdvisor reviews, I thought it was interesting enough to warrant a visit.

It is pretty much what it says it is: an old highway motel like you'd have seen 50 or 60 years ago. This place had character in spades! Starting with Wayne at the reception desk, I could tell that this was not a typical Motel 6. For one thing, it was a LOT cheaper than anyplace else in Kanab. For another thing, Wayne is a TOTAL character! If it hadn't been so late when we arrived, I'd have enjoyed sitting around and jawing with him for awhile. I'm pretty sure he would have some great stories!

From what I could gather from a quick visual inspection of the property, the owners are in the process of renovationg and rebuilding the place. That might explain some of the "dirty" comments in other reviews. "Dusty" would be more accurate.

Some of the other comments I've read on TA seemed to indicate that there are people out there that aren't happy unless everything is perfect. I always find it funny that people think that a hotel should be just like their house, only better and cheaper.

Well, perfect is what you won't get here. But you WILL get a clean room (we had two rooms, and nary a complaint at all), you WILL get a friendly welcome, you WILL get a 24-hour pot of hot coffee in the reception area, you WILL get a decent breakfast in the morning (included), and you WILL get a location in Kanab that, quite frankly, can't be beat. Everything you'd need is within easy walking distance. The cheapest gas station is right down the street.

We had a single room and a double room. Both were nice and roomy, with plenty of space for a lot of luggage. The bathrooms were more than adequate, in terms of size. For those that need such things, the TV worked well, with a good enough selection of channels to keep most happy.

To those of you that wrote negative reviews of this motel, all I can say is that you should never leave the US. Traveling overseas would NOT be for you. I've stayed in hotels in London, for example, that cost two and three times as much as the Sun-n-Sands, and would HORRIFY you negative people! So stick to Disney World and staying with your relatives when you travel.

If you're looking for a great deal, and a cheap place to sleep, stay here. If you need a hotel to be the DESTINATION of your travels (satellite TV, hot tub, heated pool, heated towel racks, imported soaps and Egyptian cotton towels), don't bother coming to this part of the world. I'd recommend the Ritz in London, or perhaps the Burj-al-Arab in Dubai. I'm sure they'd come closer to your unrealistic expectations! Or maybe not.

After all, the Sun-n-Sands only cost me $40 for a night's sleep. I got exactly what I paid for, and would gladly stay there again on a future visit.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
7  Thank Daniel S

Reviewed 29 June 2012

After finishing all the reviews on motels and restaurants on Tripadvisor that we visited on our 2 week vacation, I had to save this one for last. This is so because I find it difficult to rate because I have such mixed emotions. First of all, I want to try and write an honest opinion that will help others make their own decision. So I will try and do my best. Let's start with the rooms. The rooms are clean enough but in very desperate need of updating and remodeling. Ours was almost depressing. I assume this is one reason the rate is cheap. Had I seen the room in advance, I would have paid more elsewhere and not have stayed here. The location is great and within walking distance of places to eat and shop. We passed on the breakfast each day (we stayed 2) , but the coffee is good. Now the positive experience was the hospitality of Wayne. Like most everyone else, we thought this guy was a trip. His hospitality can't be beat. He tries 110 % to please and accomodate his guests. Full of energy and entertaining. Would I recommend to others? That is the hard part. It depends upon what kind of experience you are looking for. We were glad we had the experience we had meeting Wayne but probably if ever in Kanab again, would stay somewhere else and stop by and say "hi" to Wayne.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PJB888
Reviewed 23 June 2012

He was nice...but the rooms, VERY old and the bed frame was broken, it totally sunk in. Hair on the "clean" sheets, stains here and there, but no bed bugs! YAY! It was an adventure and we had fun while there, but I probably, well, I wont stay there again. I'm a little more particular about the comfort of my bed. It was inexpensive. On a different note, do not eat at the Mexican restaurant across the street, that was way worse than the broken bed at Sun-n-Sands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank luvtoCancun
Reviewed 15 June 2012

I booked two rooms at this motel simply because of the rate as all other local hotels were much more expensive. We arrived before dusk and were met by Wayne. Since we had an additional person, he gave us a single room (as requested) and what he called the "suite". Based on all appearances, we weren't expecting much; however, the rooms, including the "suite" were very clean and I have to agree with other reviewers that this was one of the quietist nights of our trip. Breakfast consisted of Eggs Benedict--Ok, breakfast consisted of really good coffee, four different choices of sliced bread in the bags, peanut butter and jelly and this huge box of pastries delivered earlier from the local grocery store bakery. I can still picture the German guy with a large bear claw in his mouth. We stayed in a few expensive motels this trip, but this is the night we still talk about. I recommend this place for its uniqueness, the hospitality of its host (Wayne), its cleanliness and, of course, price. I have to wonder, though--does Wayne really crease the toilet paper in a "v" shape in each room?

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms at the back left of the motel. These are the ones that weren't flooded last y...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank covey41
Reviewed 8 June 2012

Wow! I do not know who wrote the excellent reviews, but I think they got paid for it!!! For $9 more you could go across the street for a very well put together motel. Anyway, we walked into the office (2p.m.), which was filthy, unorganized, and the morning's breakfast stuff was still out. The mornings garbage was still out. The owner took a while to figure out he had company. He came from behind a curtain dressed in a knee length, filthy T-Shirt, barefoot. Given the look of the lobby, we asked to see the room. It took him 4-5 minutes to go looking for the key, yet never locating it. As we walked to the room, he discovered that the key was in the door!!! It was pretty clean, but filled with a mismatch of amenities, and very small. We were told it was the 'best room in the house'. When we shared that we did not think it would meet our needs, he became very rude and angry, asking why. He also threatened to still charge for the two nights. I could have understood the one night, but even then, we arrived at 2 p.m. and he had no cancellation policy. Anyway ..... just some background on this reviewer. I'm a school teacher, and know tight times. I am not snobbish at all. Frankly, I love quaint places to stay, and was looking forward to this experience based on what the reviewers had said. So I was very sad to find this to not meet the reviewers claims. I wish the owner the best and hope he can figure out that first impressions do matter. Again, the one across the street seems to know that Seriously, think again after reading the excellent reviews. Don't go there!!!!!

Room Tip: Stay in many of the other towns motels.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank J W
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Sept 2009 - When researching places to stay during our trip, I read many hilarious reviews of the Sun-n-Sands Motel. Obviously, the price was extremely attractive and generally, people with a sense of humor enjoyed their stay - so I booked it. We arrived and quickly met Wayne. The dude is kinda gnarly, but very friendly and accommodating. The room is a retro, hodgepodge of stuff - but it's comfortable. If you like new experiences, some a little odd, and enjoy kind-hearted eccentric people (Wayne), this place is for you.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BuenosNachos2
Reviewed 28 May 2012

I had heard about this place on Trip Advisor, and decided to give it a whirl. When we pulled up it was dark and we thought that it looked very much like the motel from Vacancy or any other scary movie you have ever seen. We woke Wayne up and after he was able to focus, we were put into room #21. Giant Kind size bed! And VERY Comfortable. The shower had pink tile and looked very much like it was from the 50's. When was the last time you saw two controls on a shower or a sink? The shower was IMMACULATE (all of the grout was UBER white) Water pressure very good.
Wayne is great.. It is NOT the Ramada inn.. but, the bathroom was FAR bigger than the one at the Days Inn we stayed at in Sedona for the following three days. Its a great place.
I had a chance to visit with Wayne for a few minutes. He was a concrete worker, who, five or so years ago, decided that was not his path. When he got the job at the Motel, there were TWO rooms that could be rented.. The previous managers (apparently the owner does not live close) had let it go to pot.. There used to be a swimming pool, but the previous managers sold the pump for it.
If you want a fun place to go, that is not expensive at all.. Go here. Lot's of fun and good nights sleep.

Room Tip: We stayed in 21. Great, comfortable, California King.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple