“Nice! (If you're not too picky)”
Review of Sun-n-Sand Motel

Sun-n-Sand Motel
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Kanab
Brescia, Italy
“Nice! (If you're not too picky)”
Reviewed 28 July 2013

The Sun-n-Sand Motel is located not far from the Central Street in Kanab.

Me and my boyfriend spent two nights there.
The room was not very spacious but it was equipped with a refrigerator and microwave.
The bed was comfortable and clean.
The bathroom was quite old, dripped a little water from the taps...
But, all in all, we were looking for a motel at a good price and for $50 a night it was good!

The owner is very nice, kind and helpful; for breakfast we had bananas and donuts, tea, coffee or hot chocolate.
It 'a good choice, if you are not too picky and want to spend a little!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Franci_Lavinia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Reviewed 5 July 2013 via mobile

I can't say that this is the best place I've stayed or the worst.The value is excellent $50 for a night. The staff is super nice and the bed was clean and comfy. Older property with character. A good choice if you're passing through and need a good night sleep.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank NateB4
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed 5 November 2012

With few alterations, the Sun-n-Sands Motel could be the set for a low-budget indie film, the kind that relies on clipped dialogue and quirkiness (think Harry Dean Stanton).

When our regular motel-of-choice in Kanab was unavailable, my friend Ulrich and I went searching for old neon (character, as he says)—and the Sun-n-Sands does offer that. We’d barely pulled into the parking area and exited the truck when Wayne came up, dressed like Alley Oop, and handed me a pan of freshly made vegetable soup and two spoons. Without realizing it, I was now part of the cast.

A few minutes later Wayne had a fire going in a portable metal pit in the courtyard, chunks of dry pine expertly laid out. The flames stayed low as smoke curled above the table and chairs set out for guests. Being mid-October, the night cooled quickly and the fire was welcome. We shared it with the motel’s owner, a silver-haired woman who’d been a nurse, and two men who, like us, were just traveling through the area. When was the last time you talked to other guests at a motel or hotel except to make perfunctory comments?

We eventually checked in, a process that went as smoothly as any I’ve had. Minimal paper work, maximum trust. “We don’t need your driver’s license number.” Wayne was well past unnecessary details. Been in the service, been around, knew what counts.

The room. Some here have said “wonderful” or “best bargain around,” others “disgusting” and “rather sleep in my car.” I don’t carry a pry bar to check behind wall panels, nor a magnifying glass to locate errant hairs. (My wife would tell you my tolerance for “low-budget” is far greater than hers.) If there’s an odor—any odor—I’ll move along to another place. Passing that test, I discovered the shower head only drooped when the water wasn’t on—turn the handle and it came to life with a fine spray, hot water at the ready. Sheets? Clean. Pillow? OK, but I’m not home. Sleep? Continuous and sound.

In the morning another cast member arrived to pick up mail at the office. He stays for extended periods whenever he’s in town. Wayne had doughnuts and coffee in the office, which rightfully earns my award for Most Outwardly Disorganized. But like Klinger in M*A*S*H, he knew where everything belonged. Yeah, the pastries came from the grocery, and the coffee was instant, but it’s what you expect in a no-frills movie.

The Big Question—would I stay at the Sun-n-Sands again (or recommend it to you)? No—but I don’t regret my night there. Yet quirky only goes so far, even for the adventurous. This is roll-of-the-dice accommodation. If you value impeccable cleanliness and efficiency, or are traveling with children, you’ll be happier spending a bit more elsewhere.

As a footnote, Wayne said he’d be moving along at the end of October. The motel was set to close for the winter then, for the first time in many years, and he and his wife were unsure of its future. We wished him well before hitting the road towards Page and another scene from our travels.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Bill S
horseheads, ny
Reviewed 27 October 2012

I always look to find a good value for my money, but I'm afraid this place doesn't cut it. Yes, the manager is nice, but when the first thing you see is him in a filthy, oversized t-shirt down to his knees, seemingly without pants, it should give you a clue. If that isn't enough go into the office which is cluttered and smells. The room is extremely dated, in of itself not a deal breaker, but cleanliness is pretty important and the room seemed to also be clean - on the surface. Don't look too close - you can smell bleach, but look down at the moldy? molding or the wallboard coming away from the wall in the bathroom. The toilet ran all night and the tub faucets wouldn't stop dripping. I've uploaded photos and you can see the peeling wallpaper and crack in the wall. I'll let you judge for yourself. Sorry Wayne - I'd try again after some de-cluttering and paint.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank dcbush41
Reviewed 13 September 2012

This was one of my most entertaining stay here in the states!
Wayne is one of the most friendliest guys I can imagine!
Breakfast is perfect and rooms are clean!
Next time I will visit Utah I will stay again at this place!

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank strongjones
Hoffman Estates
Reviewed 1 September 2012

My wife and I returned to Kanab to spend some time hiking in Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument. As with our previous trips, we used the Sun-n-Sands as our base. The motel still old and dated but the parking lot had been recently (partially) paved. The rooms are clean and the customer service from managers Wayne and Terri is second to none. As with our previous stays we enjoyed breakfast in the lobby, conversing with Wayne and travelers from many different countries. We are planning another hiking trip to the National Monument, and will definitely be staying at the Sun-n-Sands.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 August 2012 via mobile

We stopped at the sun and sand by chance and if was the most memorable motel we've stayed. We travelled all around us and this was definitely our best stop. Wayne may looks a bit weird at the beginning but he's great and nice!! To try

• Stayed August 2012