“A Hotel That Doesn't Try Very Hard”
Review of Sun-n-Sand Motel

Sun-n-Sand Motel
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Kanab
Reviewed 7 September 2013

I booked this hotel only expecting a no-frills, reasonable place to stay for a couple days while we visited the National Parks. When we arrived, Steve, an affable gent who appears to be the only employee ever on duty, warned me the rooms were a little rough. But he promised that by next year everything will be freshened up.

He was indeed correct. Things are rough inside. Beyond sorely needing a remodel, the rooms are not very clean. So that's minus right there. The demerits don’t end there however. There was no free WIFI despite the sign proudly advertising it. There simply was no signal.

On morning one, We went for the advertised free continental breakfast at about 8 a.m. and there was nothing there. A half hour later, Steve showed up with a half dozen donuts, that were reasonably tasty. However that was literally the only choice. Not exactly a balanced and filling way to start the day.

Steve seemed somewhat surprised we were staying a second night. I got the impression it doesn't happen too often. However, there wasn't another place available for close the price (the one positive I can post). After a long day at the Grand Canyon we returned to find that our beds had not been made, there were no new towels, and the room had obviously not been touched.

For the second night, we shared the motel with several members of the Bandidos Motorcycle Gang. I overheard one of them say the place is a “real biker’s motel” as he sipped his beer in front of his room. A bit of research indicated the Bandidos are considered a criminal gang by the FBI.

I like to give credit where it is due, but unfortunately there just isn't a lot I can give this place. I can't fault Steve, the manager on duty. It appears that the owners have left him to hang in the wind without adequate support to run the motel to a bare minimum of acceptable service.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank jaredpk

Reviewed 6 September 2013

As a tourism professional I can assure you that there aren't many hotels run well like this. Wayne knows what you want and need, and always take the extra step to make sure you are satisfied. In 3 months we have stayed at 32 different hotels but Sun-n-Sand was the most enjoyable and memorable one.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Levent K
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I couldn't recommend this as a place to stay because of my experience there. This motel is probably the worst place I have stayed at in my life and all my travels, which have been many. The rooms weren't as clean as they should have been, there was no wifi, and there was no continental breakfast despite advertisements. We should have left the first night, but we stayed a second because we didn't want the hassle of changing motels. The second day we found that there was no linen/ maid service cleaning. We came back to unmade beds and no towels. I was so happy to leave and find a normal motel the next two nights of our trip.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Christi K
Reviewed 3 August 2013

This place is a circa 50's built motel that has been neglected to the point of decay. Thing is stuff built in that era lasted a long time so most of the stuff worked OK. Room was clean enough inside but I think they sweep the parking lot of leaves about twice a year. Front door didn't lock (so we took our valuables with us when sight seeing). Bathroom door didn't close which made for some minor issues ;-). When I approached the manager with the front door issue, he firstly wanted to refund our money (didn't offer to find us another local room) but finally talked us into staying with the promise that the door would be fixed the next day. This never happened (my guess is it never will :-). We never saw a maid (therefor no refreshed linen). I'd guess they hire one when they have collected enough dirty rooms to warrant it :-). Staying there was sort of a mini adventure in it's own right :-) Continental breakfast consisted of some of the weakest coffee I've ever had (you could see through the full pot :-) and store brand cookies.

Other reviews spoke of the great management. As of July 13 management had changed but I will say that the fellow in charge was a really nice guy and a great character.

Unless they refurbish, I can't say I could recommend this place for everyone but if you're adventurous.......... :-)

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank JRBLE
Reviewed 28 July 2013

The Sun-n-Sand Motel is located not far from the Central Street in Kanab.

Me and my boyfriend spent two nights there.
The room was not very spacious but it was equipped with a refrigerator and microwave.
The bed was comfortable and clean.
The bathroom was quite old, dripped a little water from the taps...
But, all in all, we were looking for a motel at a good price and for $50 a night it was good!

The owner is very nice, kind and helpful; for breakfast we had bananas and donuts, tea, coffee or hot chocolate.
It 'a good choice, if you are not too picky and want to spend a little!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Franci_Lavinia
Reviewed 5 July 2013 via mobile

I can't say that this is the best place I've stayed or the worst.The value is excellent $50 for a night. The staff is super nice and the bed was clean and comfy. Older property with character. A good choice if you're passing through and need a good night sleep.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank NateB4
Reviewed 5 November 2012

With few alterations, the Sun-n-Sands Motel could be the set for a low-budget indie film, the kind that relies on clipped dialogue and quirkiness (think Harry Dean Stanton).

When our regular motel-of-choice in Kanab was unavailable, my friend Ulrich and I went searching for old neon (character, as he says)—and the Sun-n-Sands does offer that. We’d barely pulled into the parking area and exited the truck when Wayne came up, dressed like Alley Oop, and handed me a pan of freshly made vegetable soup and two spoons. Without realizing it, I was now part of the cast.

A few minutes later Wayne had a fire going in a portable metal pit in the courtyard, chunks of dry pine expertly laid out. The flames stayed low as smoke curled above the table and chairs set out for guests. Being mid-October, the night cooled quickly and the fire was welcome. We shared it with the motel’s owner, a silver-haired woman who’d been a nurse, and two men who, like us, were just traveling through the area. When was the last time you talked to other guests at a motel or hotel except to make perfunctory comments?

We eventually checked in, a process that went as smoothly as any I’ve had. Minimal paper work, maximum trust. “We don’t need your driver’s license number.” Wayne was well past unnecessary details. Been in the service, been around, knew what counts.

The room. Some here have said “wonderful” or “best bargain around,” others “disgusting” and “rather sleep in my car.” I don’t carry a pry bar to check behind wall panels, nor a magnifying glass to locate errant hairs. (My wife would tell you my tolerance for “low-budget” is far greater than hers.) If there’s an odor—any odor—I’ll move along to another place. Passing that test, I discovered the shower head only drooped when the water wasn’t on—turn the handle and it came to life with a fine spray, hot water at the ready. Sheets? Clean. Pillow? OK, but I’m not home. Sleep? Continuous and sound.

In the morning another cast member arrived to pick up mail at the office. He stays for extended periods whenever he’s in town. Wayne had doughnuts and coffee in the office, which rightfully earns my award for Most Outwardly Disorganized. But like Klinger in M*A*S*H, he knew where everything belonged. Yeah, the pastries came from the grocery, and the coffee was instant, but it’s what you expect in a no-frills movie.

The Big Question—would I stay at the Sun-n-Sands again (or recommend it to you)? No—but I don’t regret my night there. Yet quirky only goes so far, even for the adventurous. This is roll-of-the-dice accommodation. If you value impeccable cleanliness and efficiency, or are traveling with children, you’ll be happier spending a bit more elsewhere.

As a footnote, Wayne said he’d be moving along at the end of October. The motel was set to close for the winter then, for the first time in many years, and he and his wife were unsure of its future. We wished him well before hitting the road towards Page and another scene from our travels.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends