“Everything was great until it was time to sleep....”

Canyons Boutique Hotel - A Canyons Collection Property
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Kanab
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I really wanted to give an "excellent" rating to this hotel. The service was exceptional, the rates reasonable and the room clean. My kids were enamored with the lobby and staircase. Everything seemed great until it was time to sleep (at about 11:00 pm). The mattresses were a bit hard but ok, the pillows were dismal, I tried everyone and they were all very uncomfortable. The worst part was the thin walls that allowed my family and me to hear the phone conversations of the guest next door. It didn't seem that he was speaking too loudly but the thinness of the walls made it sound like he was in our room. Then the TV was on, again not too loudly, but we could hear it as if it was in our own room...until 2 am. The heater, while it kept our room a nice temperature, was very loud and annoying. Bottom line, neither my spouse, children nor I slept well at all. If the goal of paying for a hotel for the night is to rest this hotel did not help us accomplish that goal.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 64familyfun
Drueann B, General Manager at Canyons Boutique Hotel - A Canyons Collection Property, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

I was happy to see that everything was great..... Until it was time to sleep...

We really get alot of compliments about how comfortable our beds are and how well everyone sleeps, so I was surprised to hear that none of your family slept very well. I honestly am not sure why it was not so good for your family.

We even have guests ask us where we bought our mattresses because they slept so well. Thank you for your comments and we hope you will give us another chance and come visit again at a later date.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

The rooms were far larger than you might expect when looking from the outside. After staying in a lot of chain hotels throughout the southwest this offered far better accommodations at a lower price. The food was on par with what you'd find at budget hotels, though.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for posting comments about your stay with us. We appreciate it. :-)

I am very surprised that the breakfast was not very satisfying because we have quite a variety of items to choose from.

We have, scrambled eggs, cheese omelets, biscuits and gravy, sausage, bacon, fresh fruit, hot cereal, cold cereal, a variety of yogurts, dole fruit cups, an assortment of breads, bagels and mini muffins, waffles, milk, juice, water, coffee, & teas.

We are always open to suggestions to make our place better.

We are happy you enjoyed your stay at our "surprisingly spacious and luxurious" place and we hope to see you again real soon!

Reviewed 22 November 2013

What a great place to stay. The outside looks very modern but the interior reflects the 'Victorian' in the name - rooms were well equipped and very comfortable and the staff friendly and helpful. I felt very much at home and would definitely make a return if I was in the area again

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ChristineV77_13

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know you had a Great Experience with us!

We look forward to having you again the next time you come to town.

Warm Wishes,

Reviewed 20 November 2013

If you like dark red wallpaper and mahogany furniture you might not mind the fact that the reading lights were dim and the pillows lumpy. The bed was very comfortable. Yogurt and fruit cups were always available. The breakfast eggs came out of a box so i ate elsewhere (Parrys down the block was excellent) .Staff were cheerful and always ready to help. A mixed bag.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Drueann B, General Manager at Canyons Boutique Hotel - A Canyons Collection Property, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

I am sorry to hear that you thought our place was dark and dreary. We haven't had that comment before. I believe that most of it had to do with the cold dark cloudy weather.... I apologize that you didn't like the eggs. Again surprised by this comment that they come out of a box. They actually don't come out of a box and they are one of our most popular breakfast items.

I am happy that our front desk attendants were to your satisfaction and helpful. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to have the opportunity to accommodate you again in the future.

Best Wishes & Happy Holidays :-)

Reviewed 16 November 2013

I have stayed in this hotel several times, and have found it to be very nice, at least three or four stars. However, I made a reservation on-line the evening of Nov. 7 for Nov. 8. At 1 pm Nov 8 I realized I was not going to be able to get to Kanab on the 8th, and called the hotel to ask for a cancellation. I was told the hotel would not grant the cancellation, because they required a 24 hour notice -- and that was the "norm" for hotels. It is not the norm, even at their prime competitor hotel, where the policy is to call before 6 pm for a cancellation. I explained I was a repeat customer, that I would continue to be in Kanab in the future, and I felt they should accept my cancellation. But they did not. I think they stiffed me, and will not be staying there again. Be cautious about making a reservation at this property.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jfp136
Drueann B, General Manager at Canyons Boutique Hotel - A Canyons Collection Property, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

I am sorry that you feel you were "stiffed" by us. We do have the 24 hour cancellation policy in effect and always have had. It is clearly stated on all our reservations about the cancellation policy. We would lose thousands of dollars a year if we did not have this policy in place.

Our cancellation policy is actually a lenient one. Some of our competitors have a 72 hour cancellation policy and will charge for all of your stay if you cancel or modify your reservation after the cancellation period. We charge just one night even if the reservation was for several nights. We then attempt to resell your room the other nights. (Note that if you make it online through a 3rd party you will need to cancel through them online within the 24 hour policy). The policy is also clearly noted on the 3rd party reservations.

I assure you that you don't need to be careful or worry about booking a room with us because we do hold up to our end of the deal and hold your room for you as promised. What I definitely advise you to do is to keep track of your reservation and call before the 24 hour cancellation policy if you do need to cancel to avoid being charged. Thank you.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

This inn was attractive inside and out. We oohed and aahed as we walked into the inn as well as into our room. There were flowers outside the door and a beautiful stairway as you enter. The furnishings in the lobby and rooms are attractive. Our clean bathroom was large and the bed very comfortable. When we had questions, the desk clerk was helpful and friendly. They serve a buffet breakfast in the a.m. which was good.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SunPilgrim
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We were so glad that we chose this place to stay. This place really has charm. It is new but has the personality and decor of an old inn. We like the fireplaces in the rooms. Carrie, who works at the front desk was one of the nicest people we met on our 8 day, 2000 mile trip around the southwest national parks. Carrie was very welcoming and informative.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple