“It's like Staying With Friends”

Canyons Lodge - A Canyons Collection Property
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Kanab
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We arrived late evening and Travis greeted us as if we were old friends! We booked a "cozy" room which was quite sufficient. Very nicely appointed with good color scheme it was clean with a very comfortable bed. There is a fire place near the front office if you want to sit out in the evening. Breakfast is continental style in the office. They make a great cup of coffee. We met Matt our second day there.
We spent the day walking through town. We went to the movie museum which was fun and worth a visit.
Great stay here - Travis and Matt seem to enjoy what they are doing here and it shows. They are totally customer focused.

Stayed: October 2013

Reviewed 29 October 2013

We were in Kanab for the first time to volunteer at Best Friends. What a great place! Little did we know when we made our reservations. Enjoyed the furnishings. Travis was an excellent host, helpful, personable, knowledgeable. It was reasonably quiet despite being located on the highway. He helped us find a restaurant that we enjoyed so much that we returned to it the next night, recommended hiking trails to us, and was generally a fine host. We hope to return to explore area more. Thanks, guys!!

Room Tip: #9 was spacious w/amenities. #3 was more spartan but adequate and not noisy despite being on the cor...
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I showed up early but Travis checked me into a great room and set me up with some excellent hiking trail suggestions. As I was on my own, he even offered to come look for me if I wasn't back by evening. Now THAT is service.

Room was super comfy, good sized, excellent amenities and location was great. Loved the offer of wine after dinner in the reception lobby. Eric was really helpful with dinner ideas. Didn't use the pool but it looked lovely.

Definitely good value for money and a great place to stay in Kanab.

Room Tip: All the rooms were pretty quiet. I was right next to the pool and they turned off the music at bed t...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 October 2013

After many motels on our 3-week road-trip, this was clearly the best and we didn't have to pay big bucks for it. It's a relatively small place, not one of those with a giant pool, etc; they do have a small pool though. It's our kind of place actually, quiet and wonderful ambiance both inside the room and on the grounds....and the ultimate test: a great bed. There are warm and inviting chairs around a fire for chilly nights and shaded chairs if you want to just hang out. And they lend bikes to the guests; where do you see that? When arriving and at breakfast, had engaging conversations with Travis, easy to talk to and a really nice guy. Looking forward to staying there next time we're in the area.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

We booked a room for one night while doing some location scouting for a forthcoming film. We normally stay elsewhere when in Kanab, but as this was a last minute gig, Canyons was the only thing available. A bit pricey for an old motel, but we needed a room. From the outset, I had a bad feeling about the place - the front desk guy (a girly-man named Travis) was WAY too friendly and invasive. He wanted to know far too much personal information - where was I from, what was my girlfriend's name, where were we going while in Kanab - not good. So, we get to the room, it's fine - nothing special (despite the website hype), but appears to be clean. Out to dinner, back late to hit the hay. Girlfriend pulls back the covers and screams - pubic hairs with accompanying "stains" all over the linens. I immediately call the front desk - no answer. I go to the front desk - no one there. It's now midnight, no other options for lodging, so, we sleep on top of the covers. Great - $150 for a bed I can't sleep in - what a deal. We left at 5 the next morning, so no chance to confront the creepy front desk guy - probably a good thing..... Sorry guys, I can't recommend this place - not even to the cockroaches that we saw out on the sidewalk....

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank ThaddeusGresham
Matt W, Owner at Canyons Lodge - A Canyons Collection Property, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Again I wonder...we've never had someone stay with us from Brentwood, CA nor named Thad, Thaddeus or with a last name of Gresham (all part of this one-time reviewers profile). Hiding something?
If, however, your concerns are founded, I don't understand how you got home at midnight (no restaurants in town are open past 10 and if you needed to reach us, there are two after-hours number posted on the lobby door?) We gladly would have addressed any issues you had and made them right.
I also send every guest an email after their stay with my direct contact information and would have happily worked with you to remedy your claims.
As for your biased comments about a 'creepy' and 'girly-man', I believe our other reviews speak for themselves and clearly point the path to your mindset.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

We only stayed one night on our way up to Bryce. From the greeting to check-out everything was very good. Travis made us feel welcome from the very start and gave us some good tips and recommendations. Since it was just for one night we booked one of the "cozy" queen rooms and it was on the small side but that's what we expected. It was very clean and met our needs well. If we come back (hopefully) and stay longer we would probably opt for a bigger room. The sitting area outside around the fir was also a nice touch. Can't comment on the breakfast since we didn't get up that early!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Planned to stay one night, stayed two! We loved this hotel. From the moment I called and spoke with Eric to reserve a room, I knew we would be nothing but pleased with our stay. Eric was very helpful, kind, welcoming and accommodating.

The Lodge is off the main road. Our room was a cabin-decor styled room. Loved it. Bed was firm, not hard-- very comfortable. And, though our room was facing the road--not far from it truth be told-- and near the fire pit, where people gather to talk, laugh, and enjoy the night air, we had 2 very quite, peaceful nights rest. I recall hearing laughter and talk from the fire pit while walking from our car when we returned from dinner,--It made me smile and want to join them to be honest, but I didn't hear it when we went into our room just a few feet away.

Matt. the owner, was very helpful in pointing out places to go, tips on sites, and photos. My husband enjoyed conversing with him, showing him his own photos,and discussing Matt's brother's photos on the web. We felt like family and didn't feel rushed. Would love to return and spend a week at Canyons Lodge and see all the amazing sites around, and next time, take advantage of Canyons Lodge's complimentary bikes. A perfect town to cruise along on the roads.

Breakfast was great as well: bagels, hard boiled eggs, mini scones to die for, juice, fresh fruit-- more than enough to get the day rolling to a great start...plus friendly conversations to boot. Can't say enough. We loved this Lodge...trusting and sincere people that know how to run a great business, and make you feel like you are at home.