“Pleasant home base”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Palo Alto, California
“Pleasant home base”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Room was nice, good wifi connection. Beds very comfortable. Very good breakfast to get day started- hard boiled eggs, coffee, small pastries, fruit, and juices. Exceptionally helpful reception people, helped with directions, what to do, where to eat, making reservations.
Convenient location to all parks and Best Friends. A little pricey but not much more than other places.

Room Tip: Blinds don't keep out all light. Need black out curtains.
Green Features: Use recycled products and encourage reuse of towels.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank 118zelda

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Excellent staff! The staff was critical in helping us find activities and hikes in the area, along with excellent places to eat in town. The rooms are very comfortable and nicely decorated! Although be aware....the beds are so comfortable you might not want to get out!:)

• Stayed April 2014
Walla Walla, Washington
Reviewed 19 April 2014

THE THREE-DAY OR NO REFUND CANCELLATION POLICY IS ABSOLUTELY STRICTLY ENFORCED. In juggling weather issues and trying to get in a backcountry outing during a stormy week in March, we mistakenedly "booked" a night that we then needed to cancel because weather issues led to our changing our plans. Despite having already stayed there for four nights the previous year and for two nights this year, and despite the fact--or because of it--that they were not at all full that week and had not turned away any business because of our booking, we got charged the full amount. Though they say "if we can resell the room you won't get charged," that means they have to be TOTALLY FULL that night--your room is the LAST ONE to be sold. And the lodging is not cheap. $112+ charge is a harsh penalty for a careless mistake. SO WATCH OUT! THIS IS NOT THE LODGING TO USE IF YOU MIGHT HAVE A CHANGE OF PLANS! We will not stay here again. There are plenty of other lodgings in Kanab with much more flexible scheduling policies.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AvidHikersontheMove
Matt W, Owner at Quail Park Lodge - A Canyons Collection Property, responded to this review, 20 April 2014
Thank you for bringing this up as it provides a great opportunity for us to highlight this topic. I wanted to first thank for you staying with us on other occasions which shows you've enjoyed the property and services we provided..although I find it odd that the only time you have left a review is when there was something not in your favor? I also send each guest a follow-up email after their stay and I never received a response from you.

Anyhow, I ask you and other travelers the questions - What if we cancelled the reservation on you or you showed up and we sold your room to someone else? When you make a reservation, we are guaranteeing and holding your room. We turn down other guests based on the service promise we make to you when guaranteeing your reservation. This is a standard industry policy and is considered lenient for small, intimate lodging establishments such as ours.

Matt
Portland, OR
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We chose to stay here based on the reviews we read on Tripadvisor. Our high expectations probably hurt this place a little. The place was nice enough, but I'm a bit surprised by the near 5 star reviews of others. Don't get me wrong; I'm giving QPL a 'B' so it was above average and certainly adequate but I wouldn't want others to be lead to believe they should expect more.

PROS:
By far the best part of our stay was the welcome we received from Melanie upon check in. She was warm and extremely helpful and recommended a hike in the area we would have never known about and which we thoroughly enjoyed (Wire Pass). We were there to visit Best Friends and she was a former vet tech at the sanctuary and got us even more excited about our visit and gave us some pointers to help us enjoy our stay. The two male owners and another female desk clerk were courteous and professional but nothing more. In the mornings they were more interested with whatever they were surfing on the internet than they were with their guests.

The place was very modern and hip. Also very clean. Room service was excellent.

Breakfast was simple but fine... boiled eggs, juice, fruit, coffee, muffins, etc. No complaints.

Some of their rooms allow for "sleepovers" with dogs for the night from Best Friends. That's actually pretty nice but is also available at many of the other lodging options in town as well.

Bikes to borrow. My daughter and I took a couple of their beach cruisers out on the town for the evening which made for a great memory for us. One of the bikes we took had a basket on the front for taking food home from the restaurant and a couple items we picked up at the grocery store. A very nice perk.

CONS:
Very over priced in my opinion. To be fair, it's comparable to other places in town, but $100/nt (including tax) for a place like Kanab seems a little steep, but there are a couple of other places I would seek out next time because they would be a little cheaper. I'm staying at the Hilton at Waikiki next week for $177/nt (not including tax).

The room we stayed in (room #3 with 2 queen beds) was very small. It almost couldn't have been smaller. As far as size (NOT quality), think Motel 6.

One of the beds in the room was horrible (the bed by the window). I don't have a super picky back, but I was uncomfortable the whole next day after that first night. The next night, my young daughter and I switched beds and I slept fine (and so did she). I brought this to the attention of the owner and told him I was going to include it in my online review. He would want everyone to know they are the same beds and I'm sure they are supposed to be, but he seemed more intent on making that point with me that listening to me. I believe there may be some busted springs or other defect.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank outsideagent
phoenix, United States
Reviewed 6 April 2014

After 500 miles on the road, how nice to come to the Quail Park Lodge for a great night. They made us feel welcome from the moment we checked in. Once in our updated clean comfortable room we were greeted by a personal note welcoming us. This is 5 star resort service! The room was not like the traditional hotel room. It was like staying in a personal home. The bed was amazing. Very comfortable with soft sheets and a nice comfy quilt. We loved that the lodge was small, very personal and super quiet. We hated that we only had one night to stay. Additionally they welcomed our Goldendoodle Harrison. We will definitely stay at the Quail Park Lodge the next time we are in Kanab...

Room Tip: All around excellent place to stay
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Scott F
Los Angeles
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Stayed here for one very pleasant night on the way home from a business trip to Las Vegas. The contrast between the two towns and places I stayed couldn't have been more different -- and welcome. When you drive up to the Quail Park Lodge, if you are a child of the 50's and 60's, you'll recognize this building for what it is because you may have stayed in one just like it on a family vacation -- a classic old, small, motel that is plunked down close to the roadside. It's low slung, only a few units, small parking lot. It's when you go inside your room that the real difference of the place hits you. Modern furnishings and colors, flat-screen TV with DirecTV service, completely updated bathroom (shower only in my room), compact desk, sitting area, small refrigerator and microwave. Then when you go to bed you realize this is going to be one of your most comfortable night's sleeps in a long time, enjoying the quiet of Kanab which, from what I could tell, shuts down almost completely around 8 or 9. Try the Rocking V (I think) restaurant up the street -- another unexpected and very positive surprise. Staff couldn't be nicer or more helpful. If I'm back through this way I'll be staying here again.

Room Tip: Not sure about this. I was in room 14 and it was just fine. It's next to the private quarters...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

Really love being here! The owner went out of his way to make restaurant reservations for us, and if you're traveling with your dog (as we did), you'll feel perfectly at home! Highly recommended! Beautifully retro, welcoming and warm ... we will be back!

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business